• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Tamales

lovebenton0

It is that time of year. I'm so off my game. For 20 years we had a big gathering the Sunday before x-mas and again NewYears day. Last was 2018. The dates are perfect this year being the Sunday is the 19th and NewYears day is a Saturday. Bummer. We canceled before even planning. 

More tamales for me. Last year I just made a couple dozen. So easy. Years past the cussing starts at around the fifth dozen. I screwed up a couple weeks ago and took the bigger packet of BoSaam out of the freezer. I should have written 'for tamales!'. I would usually make them this week and freeze and arepas and empanadas and spring rolls made day of. We are having BoSaam x-mas so I'll make a shy batch again this year maybe the next day and freeze a couple packets. Four per packet for a 5th of May treat. 

I have red and black twine for vegetarian and pork. The collard greens were a veg addition but we all love that bite. So I add them to all the tamales now traditionally and a bit of Queso cheese. I made a big batch of molé beans last night. Froze a couple pints. (labeled properly)

A heap tBsp of molè black beans at the top just under the collards---so good. I like hidden bites unexpected. Like some dark chocolate just a bit at the crust edge of a pecan pie. The last bites are a delight and surprise. 

TAMALES-2.png

• Like 3

Love the different colors of twine for I.D. and also look forward to further reports. Yes it is more fun to do ensemble but in these times one does the best possible to still enjoy delightful foods.  Interesting too on the collards. I'm a greens (esp bitter) fiend, Do you pre-cook or?

• 1 month later...

Trying not to get too off book topic, one of the reviews of the Rancho book mentioned "California Tamales".

<snip>

"Genuine Rancho Cooking. Receipt for early California Tamale is Included. It is not a Mexican Tamale, But the Genuine "California Tamale" Like the Kind Made in the Central Valley in the 30',40's 50's. And kind made at Warburtons (Out of Business), the Kind still made a Rosevelts Tamale parlor San Fransico. The California Tamale is Big Round when you break into it after un-tying the strings you break the Corn masa shell and Dip into the Chili Gravy with a Spoon."

This interested me and I looked up that style of tamale.  Turns out Norcal/SF had a lot of tamale parlours, which made a huge round tamale style.  And some made their tamales in coffee cups, steamed, without the use of a corn husk.  Very regional.  I went down a tamale rabbit hole with just that one review.

6 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I didn't see a 'Cup tamale' but don't expect anything super innovative but well done family recipes some quirky due to the history of the Californios. There's really not much else out there like this except maybe Encarnacion's Kitchen which is interesting more from a Historical perspective. 

I may get a bag of harina and some ramekins and try that type for a lark.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2

I  haven't made that one and I'm not old enough to remember tamales from that era! But the filing is based on a chile Colorado which I  did make this week and  i liked quite a bit for enchiladas.  The masa had a bit of olive oil in the dough in addition to the regular ingredients. 

I'll prolly make her flour tortillas with milk and butter next!

95D9EE87-1220-4D42-A760-7652E41DBDE5.jpeg

77D15B2D-A9B5-4197-918E-B0F39D48133D.jpeg

Edited by AAQuesada (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1