• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
cru

THE BEST: NYC Pizza Favorites

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

Since I grew up in NY and now live 5 minutes from Papa's in NJ (it is no longer in Trenton) I can confirm that it is a tasty tomato pie. But not a NY style pizza.:cool:

Talking about pizza with NYers is like talking about BBQ with Southerners. Don't get us started.

I'll take your word for it. It was introduced to me as NYC style. Where has Papa's absconded to?

To tell you the truth, I don't know that I ever had pizza in NY. (Though I can testify to the pastrami sandwich at Stage Deli.}

I how forgot .. artichoke pizza .. also good 😋

The NY Times ran a pretty fun article recently, entitled How the Slice Joint Made Pizza the Perfect New York City Food.

Obviously, there are many more slice places than there are sit-down pizza places, but some of the best pizza available in NYC these days is offered only by the full pie, and you'll need to sit down for that. But the slice place was, and remains, a classic NY City joint. 

pizza — specifically the reheated, foldable, portable slice — is one of the city’s great uniters. There is no culinary experience that New Yorkers share more widely and more unanimously than the slice joint. Like catching a sunset over the skyline or stepping in an icy curbside puddle, the slice joint has, since its beginnings more than 50 years ago, become common currency.

• Like 3

Wait, only "more than 50 years ago"? I'm 54, and I had the impression that the foldable pizza slice had existed in New York forever when I was a little kid. Doesn't it go back to some time in the 20s or 30s or something?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this