• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reviewing NYC Pizza

cru

Visited Co. a couple of weeks ago for the first time as well, and I liked it. There were about 10 people at our table, so I think we ordered something like 9 different pizzas, and I tried most of them, all interesting, and I recall an artichoke app that was memorable. The "Popeye" was nice with big leaves of fresh spinach.

• 2 years later...

Haven't tried Co yet. The best I've had (ever) is Roberta's in Bushwick. Motorino (Williamsburg and East Village) is practically as good.

I'm fond of Wheated in Ditmas Park, because it's close to home, but don't think I'd make a long trip.

After a return to Tottono's this year, I was so horrified that I eviscerated them on Yep. Complete joke.

p.s. ... go to Roberta's on a week night. The waits are awful on weekends.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Roberta's is repeatedly recommended....I have NO desire to travel to NYC but to try their pizza.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Co is good, Paul.  And quite a different style from Roberta's and Motorino, both of which I like a lot.

That's sad about Totonno's. Our last visit it was good, but that's probably a year and a half ago.

I really like the pizza at Marta, but again, a totally different style.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 months later...

In the past I would've said Lombardi's or Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, but it's been a while since I've been to either (though I love the garlic pizza at Lombardi's).

We are close to the East Village and order a lot and our favorite for delivery is Numero 28, especially the pepperoni.  The key with Numero 28 seems to be to only order the small pizzas, several if needed.  The larger pizzas are stretched into an elongated "french bread shape" for lack of a better term, and it makes for a much less tasty crust.  It's a pricey way to go, but my taste buds approve.

Motorino's is ok, but too doughy for me.  I like Luzzos as well, but it's much better to go there in person.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite Manhattan slices right now...

IMG_4301.JPG

Prince St. Pizza - square w/pepperoni.  Lighter and airier than it looks, with an excellent sauce and good quality pepp.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 5 months later...

The innovative Bruno Pizza deserves a mention in this thread. I posted a meal report on Chowhound a few weeks ago, when my girlfriend and I went there: http://www.chowhound.com/post/bruno-pizza-1023783

I would sum up our first time there this way: It's a very interesting restaurant that is really like no pizzeria I've ever been to (Franny's in Prospect Heights is closest, or was closest when I went there [it's been a few years since the last time], but the taste profiles of the things I tried there were less unusual). They embrace strong flavors, including spicy/peppery, smokey, fermented/funky, perfumy, salty and fatty, and they combine them in interesting ways, so that even if the particular combination of toppings you try isn't completely to your taste, there are others. Their ingredients also seemed to be of consistently high quality, and they know how to make a really good crust. Plus, their wine list was great and if you drink wine at all, having some wine to cut through and combine with those strong flavors should be part of your experience.

It's really too bad to read about Totonno's deteriorating. This is the original Totonno's flagship in Coney Island, right? None of the others count, really, as they're just paying for the privilege of using the name and aren't connected with the family.

By the way, mikeycook, next time you're thinking about going to Grimaldi's, try Juliana's, which is just around the corner and which is now the Grimaldi family's place (Grimaldi's is not; I believe it's owned by people who bought it from people who bought it from the Grimaldi's).

• Like 1

Michael aka "Pan"

Went to Roberta's recently, sort of. The wait on a Friday night at 8pm or so was a solid 2 hours, so we got drinks in the neighborhood (my friends got food, I was holding out for pizza), and then around midnight went back to Roberta's and got pizza from their take out section. We consumed them on the spot, as soon as they came out of the oven. Some of the best I've ever had, and I try to hit up celebrated NY pizzerias every time I'm there. Highest recommendation!

I'll also throw in my support for Joe's on Carmine Street (?) in the West Village for some of the best by-the-slice pizza, but that's no secret I guess.

I didn't like the fermented tomatoes. Too funky. But I gave them credit for being ambitious and not shying away from strong, contrasting tastes.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

26712849910_9f950ba6dc.jpg

Totonno's, Coney Island...yesterday for lunch.

Not as great a pie as might be had at Totonno's. A little thick and bready in parts,

but still overall quite good. The cheese, sauce and sausage are all fine.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 9 months later...

Has anyone eaten at Roberta's in the last several months, since Nick Barker left as chef? A friend told me he went recently and everything was terrible. Broke my heart. It's been my global pizza benchmark for the last 10 years. The brilliant small plates were just icing.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

We stumbled into Ops in Bushwick and were very pleasantly surprised. Perfect crust, well made all around. The tomato sauce on the marinara was a bit unbalanced, but otherwise flawless. They say they use a sourdough crust, although it wasn't as evident as it is (or used to be) at Roberta's.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 9:56 PM, Pan said:

Unbalanced in what way?

Extremely acidic. I like some brightness in a tomato sauce but this was over the top, at least in the Margherita where there weren't other fatty ingredients to balance it in any way.

• 3 months later...

I came upon this fun YouTube video where a guy and his friends try 23 NY pizza slices in 36 hours. It made me famished for good pizza and it's not even 7 AM. xD It takes about 19 minutes, but if your in the mood to salivate over NY pizza, it's 10 minutes well spent say I.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 7 months later...

We were at Louie & Ernie's this past weekend, to my taste one of the great NY style pizzeria pizzas to be had. Behold the sausage:

dMx4fn6.jpg?2

The plain pie went so fast, I only got to take a picture of this:

KDLyt17.jpg?1

• Like 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 hours ago, bos said:

Joe's pizza west village

Now with 3 additional locations. 

And I've had some less than exemplary pizza, from the original Greenwich Village location, within the past 6 months. Expansion may be good for Joe's wallet, but not for the pizza.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

The very best NY style pizza I ever had in my life was in Trenton, NJ, at Papa's Tomato Pies. 20 years ago, but my mouth still waters for it. Have never before or since had such a fine pizza.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Since I grew up in NY and now live 5 minutes from Papa's in NJ (it is no longer in Trenton) I can confirm that it is a tasty tomato pie. But not a NY style pizza.:cool:

Talking about pizza with NYers is like talking about BBQ with Southerners. Don't get us started.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde