• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Find new place for Kueh Kueh!

GaijinGirl

A place called Curry Leaves in Queens Chinatown - 135-31 40th Road.

The place is a small nook in the wall, the Keuh is brilliant colors, and there's one that I really like - it's florescent green, soft with sago like balls imbedded, and covered with shredded coconut (Pan, any idea on the name?) YUM!

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

Hit Curry Leaves again this weekend (yesterday, not on Christmas!) - had yet more Kueh, and I have to say, I like their Kueh over Sanur's, definitely! Good stuff! (They didn't have much yesterday, but enough to try ones I hadn't had before.) Anyone who finds themselves around Flushing Queens has to go and see! Best, --Janet

Sanur is where again?

I didn't like the savory food I had at Curry Leaves, but that was a few years ago. Have you ever compared their savory food with Restaurant Malaysia or/and Sentosa?

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan,

Sanur's at 18 Doyers - most of the restaurant's downstairs. Haven't tried the savory food at any of the three - yet. Right now, I've just been enjoying the Kueh (have only seen it at Sanur's and Curry). :biggrin:

Sanur is where again?

I didn't like the savory food I had at Curry Leaves, but that was a few years ago. Have you ever compared their savory food with Restaurant Malaysia or/and Sentosa?

sorry to be a lame-o but what's kueh? I want some...but what is it?

It seems to be one of those untranslateable/indefinable words. :huh: This is from a post on Shiokadelicious! in which Renee gives a sort of tour of kueh for the readers:

So, kueh is often sweet, but can be savory at times; it can be baked, steamed, cooked over a charcoal fire or even deep-fried; it can be of pudding-like softness or it can be firm; it can be a “cake”, a cookie, a “pudding” or many other variations of sweet “desserts”; or it can also be small savory snacks.

Like "dim sum", the concept of "kueh" seems to cover a lot. I'd love to have an illustrated pocket dim sum or kueh guide, but since I don't I usually just point and say "Um... that one, please?" :smile:

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

Thanks. I don't have any family in Malaysia. Most of my friends are on the East Coast, which wasn't affected by the tsunamis but did suffer heavy flooding in the monsoon a week or two ago. I have yet to hear just how badly their communities were affected, because the one email contact I have no longer has an account. I really need to write my friends in Terengganu and ask how everyone is and how their property fared. Other friends are on the West Coast, but most of them live in the KL area, which is far enough inland not to have problems with anything from the Straits. But there's one person in Penang who I know through the soc.culture.malaysia newsgroup and haven't heard from yet. I'll feel better when he checks in.

Michael aka "Pan"

A place called Curry Leaves in Queens Chinatown - 135-31 40th Road.

The place is a small nook in the wall, the Keuh is brilliant colors, and there's one that I really like - it's florescent green, soft with sago like balls imbedded, and covered with shredded coconut (Pan, any idea on the name?)  YUM!

Did it have palm sugar inside? Maybe it's a variation of onde onde?

You're making me want to make a drive up to NYC, man...kueh rules. :wub:

Gastro,

No - no palm sugar - I've never had Onde, Onde - would LOVE to, but haven't found it anywhere.

On the outside, this one seemed alot like the others, with a shredded coconut covering, but when you bit into it, it had soft sago pockets. Double yum!

Gastro,

No - no palm sugar - I've never had Onde, Onde - would LOVE to, but haven't found it anywhere. 

On the outside, this one seemed alot like the others, with a shredded coconut covering, but when you bit into it, it had soft sago pockets.  Double yum!

So far I have not found it in the US. I had it in Taiping, Malaysia. It was so good. Honestly, I think you have to go back there to get good kueh. It's hard to get the stuff to make it here. I wonder if Cali/West Coast areas have better kueh? (They're closer to Asia, they have a warmer climate, larger population, etc...)

Sago pockets, eh? Interesting.

I'd love to have an illustrated pocket dim sum or kueh guide, but since I don't I usually just point and say "Um... that one, please?"  :smile:

Here is a pocket guide to dim sum from Chronicle Books.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Just posted a list of the Keuh Kueh items that I've heard about, over on the Kueh thread (you'll either find it informative, or realize how little I know about Kueh Kueh....yet!)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=799179 :biggrin:

--Janet (Pitchblack70)