• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prime Rib Jus or Gravy?

Coop

I am doing a large Prime Rib roast for our early Christmas dinner tomorrow night. I am making a demi glace (by reduction, no espagnole). What do people think about lieing the sauce? Do you prefer flour, some sort of vegetable startch or just reduction?

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I am doing a large Prime Rib roast for our early Christmas dinner tomorrow night. I am making a demi glace (by reduction, no espagnole). What do people think about lieing the sauce? Do you prefer flour, some sort of vegetable startch or just reduction?

I have a couple of problems here: Lieing the sauce? This may be a term I don't know, or a spelling error, so I am puzzled.

Making a demi glace: even if the roast is large, the dripping would be too salty, greasy, and non gelatinous to reduce to a demi glace. It might be better to skim the drippings, and add some good commercial demi glace before reducing.

Definately a reduction. Reduction sauces that are thickened purely through reduction are so much richer, tastier, and just more luxurious than floured gravies.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Use the drippings for a Yorkshire Pudding and make the sauce separate.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

if you want a real good sauce, you might want to get you some beef bones, or even better veal bones (smoother tasting) and cook yourself a nice fond (about 3h) roasting the bones, or throwing in some veggies can help. then reduce the fond by 3/4. then when the roast is nearly ready toss some butter in a pan (no nonstick pan!!) and fry some of the trimmings, as well as some finely minced shallots, and some herbs you like (sage rosemary whatever) and fry for a minute or two, then deglace with some dry wermouth AND the reduced stock, reduce a littlebit more, get rid of the trimmings and herbs(otherwise too strong) and getyourself some icecold buttercubes (nonsalted plugra of course) draw the pan from the fire and whisk the butter into sauce like hell, when finnished put pan back on medium fire and whisk until it reaches perfect consistency turn fire very small now, since you dont want to reduce more... voila!! perfect sauce - no starch, flour arrowroot or whatever. in my eyes all the starch crap only makes your sauce look like the chinese jelly stuff.... a real espangiole can be different & good but it needs to cook out every trace of starch for at least 5 hours... (escoffier)

cheers

torsten s. :cool:

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany