• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco Northern Italian

Peter Lilienthal

I'm in the doghouse regarding an upcoming visit this week to SF. My wife wanted to go to Delfina next Sunday evening (Dec 26), but by the time I got around to calling, only 5:30 pm and 9:30 pm were still available. Can anyone suggest an alternative quality spot that is open on Sunday and likely to have room in the inn?

Acquerello isn't open on Sundays.

Open Table is pretty clear that it's a busy night...of that list, Scala's and possibly the Washington Bar and Grill (Randall? You've mentioned that place, I think).

But not listed at Open Table is one of the darlings of SF'ers: Quince. They do dinner daily. Hold on and I'll see if I can find their web site.

Oh you're done with then. Take the 9.30 table at Delfina perhaps? All the other Italian places worth eating -and mind you we don't have many- are likely full. You'll never get into Quince, unless you don't mind a very late table.

Acquarello would have been the best bet, I thought they are open Sundays, but I was wrong. In any case, they are the only one of the bunch that is not crazy popular and likely to have a table open on a short notice.

Try A16, though you are unlikely to get into that too.

Think about the late table at Delfina, perhaps you could go somewhere first for a cocktail, or have a very late lunch that day?

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

You can try Incanto -- I've had some great meals there, including one of the best quail preparations I've ever eaten. Wines are all available by the glass or half glass/taste as well, which is great if you want to match wines to courses.

It's on Church St at about 28th -- very easy to get to on the J Church streetcar, if you don't have a car. They're open on Sunday, and usually not too busy then.

Here's their web site:

Incanto

Edit to add that Incanto is where Jamie Oliver went to dinner after his book signing in SF -- if that will help to impress your wife.

Try Mangarosa in North Beach. It's excellent.

How is this Italian?

I will refer to the OpenTable.com link:

http://www.opentable.com/restaurant_profile.asp?ID=3412

Mangarosa is the newest addition to North Beach. The place has a charm of its own. The new owners have maintained the beautiful original design from the former restaurant, Jianna, but have added their “Brazilian Touch” with very bright and rich wall color, candle light, and custom made oil paintings done by local artist, Patrick Madden. The name “MANGAROSA” means “pink mango” in Portuguese. It is a typical mango very prominent in the Northeast region of Brazil. The name originated with the idea of incorporating tropical flavors in Italian/Californian cuisine. They have added some traditional Brazilian dishes, such as Steak Rechaud, crab and salt cod cakes, and “Pao de Queijo” – cheese bread, as well as some great tropical drinks such as “Caipirinha” – a drink made of lime, sugar, and Cachaca – sugar cane alcohol. The owners are very proud of their hard work in opening the restaurant and hope to share with everyone their new vision: MANGAROSA: The Brazilian Twist