• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the best service in the city

Andrew Morrison

Fiction Tuesday night (no sign of ssherwood). Our waitress was excelent and playing injured. She had a finger which was broken in two places. Very good waitress, nice and warm personallaity. Reidel crystal changed for every bottle. We even got proper Alsatian type stems for our Pfaffenhiem Gerv. At the table next to us a bottle of Conundrum was served in larger glasses. Both bottles of red were served in large bordeaux style glasses which were change between bottles.

We were dissapointed to see Kris Barnholden had left as chef though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Hi David,

Yes, sadly, Kris has headed to New York to continue honing his craft, specializing in pastries. It's never an easy adjustment, the courtship starts anew, the philosophies get bantered back and forth, culinary speed dating pursuing not only the best talent, but the best fit. Our new chef is driven, ambitious and has an outstanding philosophy.

You play the man, not the cards, right?

Sorry I missed you, I'm spending far more time down at Lucy Mae Brown these days, driving between the two ( I can make it in under 8 minutes now ) like a madman.

I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed Tara's service, she's new to the family and will enjoy hearing kind praise. I'm also glad to hear you appreciate the Riedels, I can hear the distinct sound of German engineered crystal smashing from anywhere in the restaurant, and it dulls the pain to know they bring people some joy in their short, but painfully elegant existence.

We're cooking Xmas dinner tonight for all the staff and their families. Turducken. I'll post more, later.

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

• 3 years later...

This topic hasn't been updated in a few years so I'm curious to get some opinions for 2008-9. Where is the best restaurant service in the city? Look back to a young Andrew Morrison's first post for the criteria. :biggrin:

I'm sure that some of the same names are still up there: West, Le Crocodile, Lumiere, Bishop's. I've always been a fan of the service at both Chambar and Cafe Medina. I was impressed with the service at Trattoria Italian Kitchen the one time I've been there - it was crazy busy the whole time but the waitress was professional and attentive throughout. I've heard good things about the Cannery's service, but I've never been.

PS - Anyone know what happened to Daddy-A? He used to be such a regular contributor and then he dropped off the face of the earth...

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

PS - Anyone know what happened to Daddy-A? He used to be such a regular contributor and then he dropped off the face of the earth...

"Legacy participant." Don't worry, he's still on the internet, as is everyone else - just not here.

Thanks BCinBC - good to know that Arne is out there in another forum at least.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Bishop's

We went to Bishop's last saturday night for dinner and the experience was exactly as I expected, since it was my first time there.

I had made a reservation for 6 a few weeks earlier and when we arrived at the restaurant we were seated right away at a nice table. The wine list was was extensive and our waitress complimented our choice, even explaining a little history of the winery. The menu was delicious, featuring all of the good things that are available at this time of year in our area. And John Bishop had yummy kusshi oysters as a welcome addition!

The service was excellent from when we walked in until we left (almost 4 hours later!). The restaurant was full until about 1030pm, and it never compromised the attention of our wait staff. While we were eating dinner we realized that it had started snowing and was covering the streets. We had all taken cabs to dinner so we were wondering how we were going to get home! Our waitress actually stood out in the snow trying to hail us a couple of cabs, and she offered to drive us home herself if we couldn't get one, I don't think you can get much better service than that!

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, although i'm sure most of you reading have already been considering Bishop's is one of the most well know restaurants in Vancouver. I am happy to say that i have finally experience it's greatness!

Megan