• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Appliance Shops

Our 14 year-old refridgerator is on its last legs. The ice maker died a few months back, the interior light is gone, and now it's started making funny noises and not smelling so great. If we don't replace it in the next few days we may not make it through the holidays. Plus it's a side-by-side and we've been looking for an excuse to get a bottom-freezer model. Any recs for places to shop for replacements?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

i second Albert Lee ~ i went to the store near ballard..and they are extremely helpful! bought fridge with freezer on the bottom (really, i shoulda bought one on the top, based on our ice usage, but i wanted "something different). the sale went smoothly, they fit your needs, and dont try to sell up

the delivery was on time and they were awesome in the installation. and they had to bring it up 2 flights of outside stairs, removed the back door.. and hauled away the old one.

we used them when i replaced the range too. again, the delivery & installation was what made these guys top notch.

What did you get?

And tell us how it handles the holiday crunch!

We got one of these: Amana Easy Reach.

The clear front doors on a the crispers seem like such an obviously good idea that I can't believe nobody thought of them before.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

we have the earlier version of this fridge and I love it. I went with the swinging door on the freezer instead of the pull out drawer.

We also bought at Albert Lee and were quite impressed as they moved our old fridge into our basement and removed the old goldenrod fridge from my childhood out of the basement and took it away for free!

Our next purchase (fisher paykel washer) will be with them.

Our 40" double oven was purchased from Almvigs (originally from Laurelhurst, now in Roosevelt), I was not too impressed by their installers, but the store is good.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Sears is generally dreadful, and difficult to work with. Delivery dates can change with the wind and customer service reps are belligerent.

We use American Meter on Westlake. While prices are higher, their people are agreeable, and delivery service lightning-quick.

• 1 month later...

A great buying experience has turned into a miserable service experience. Some time Thursday our six-week old fridge died. The light works fine, but the food is warm and spoiling. The digital fridge and freezer setting readouts just have dashes and no amount of fiddling with the buttons has any effect.

We called Albert Lee and they told us a technician would be out today (Saturday). It turns out they use a Maytag technician for the Amana refridgerators as opposed to an in-house technician. Now it seems that Maytag decided they were too busy and rescheduled us for Monday at some time of their choosing between 7am and 5pm. Most of that time neither one of us can be here, so we'll see what happens.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Latest news from Maytag: They gave us a one hour time window today that we can't make, and other than that claimed they are fully booked for the entire rest of the week. So much for the bored lonely Maytag repairman. This fridge is going back to Albert Lee.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

We recently bought both an Amana easy reach and a washer from Direct Buying Service. We'd identified models we wanted, called around, and they had the best price both times. Everything else with them was great-the transaction, delivery, and the guy who did the paperwork was an Elvis impersonator.

We just bought a Fisher & Paykel DishDrawer (and a garbage disposer)from DBS, and have nothing but good to report, as well.

(Although we weren't served by Elvis, alas!)

They seem fine folk all around, and the prices are grrreat!

cg

"...plant a tree for Cesar"

--M.F.K. Fisher

Vengroff:

Inquiring minds want to know or perhaps its just those of us like myself that are nosy. What happened when you called Albert Lee and told them to come take the refer back? Did that shake some one loose for help or could they have cared less? Tell us, tell us please.

Fred Rowe

Vengroff:

Inquiring minds want to know or perhaps its just those of us like myself that are nosy.  What happened when you called Albert Lee and told them to come take the refer back?  Did that shake some one loose for help or could they have cared less?  Tell us, tell us please.

In the absence of any help from the factory service technicians the management at Albert Lee agreed to take it back and brought us a new one this afternoon. It's great that they stepped up to the plate like that. Hopefully they'll give their Amana rep an earfull and things will improve.

MadVal, Seattle, WA