• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Homemade Ice Cream in LA

ehmeadow

I just moved back to LA after 8 years of living on the east coast. I am now very particular about my ice cream after having the luxury of eating homemade ice cream all summer long in Nantucket. Anyone have some good homemade ice cream spots in LA? I've been to Bennet's at the Farmer's Market and was not at all impressed. This is my first post on eGullet, so don't let me down :smile: Thanks

I hope this doesn't let you down, but L.A. doesn't strike me as an ice cream town. Here are some recs to peruse, hope they're of use.

When in Pasadena, I go to this place called Fosselman's and though I don't know if you'd think it's as good as what you had in Nantucket, I like it. I like how they have Asianified flavors like lychee and taro along with the usual suspects.

Fosselman's website

If you're ever in OC, there's this place called Han's Homemade Ice Cream. I think the ice cream is really rich, richer than Fosselmans, but a bit of a drive for you. Haven't been here in a while because there's this new gelato place that opened up near me.

Han's

3640 S Bristol St, Santa Ana (714) 979-8815

Mashti Malone's is this Iranian ice cream place in L.A. Haven't been myself, but it's always sounded interesting to me and I should probably try it. Most of the flavors have rosewater in them.

Mashti Malone's

Here's a website of someone who had the same question you did and what they found

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

In Burbank, there's an Italian place called Monte Carlo Delicatessen & Restaurant that sells homemade Italian gelatos.

Monte Carlo Delicatessen & Restaurant

3103 W. Magnolia Blvd.; Burbank, CA 91505; (818) 845-3516

(near the intersection of W. Magnolia Blvd. and N. Fairview St.)

Ohhh, the temptation ... :wub:

edited with the following correction:

I couldn't resist any longer ... I went and bought some this afternoon. Then I noticed that Monte Carlo doesn't make their own gelatos. They get the gelatos from a local company called Villa Dolce. I ordered a pint for $6.95. I chose 1/2 coffee & the other half hazelnut. They had at least a dozen flavors to scoop from.

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

There is a supposedly good place in Irvine called Strickland's Ice Cream (http://www.stricklands.info/base.cfm?page_id=1065. I read about it on Professor Salt's blog (http://professorsalt.blogspot.com/). I haven't been there yet but I think I'll head over on Sunday while out holiday shopping.

Here's a little more background info from the site:

"Strickland's Frozen Custard was founded in 1936 by Bill and Florence Strickland. During his years as an Akron Pure Milk employee, Bill developed his own rich recipe of cream, eggs, sugar and other ingredients. With his formula perfected, Bill turned his attention to finding an ice cream machine that would quickly freeze the ice cream, while limiting the air whipped into the product. The result was Strickland's award-winning frozen custard."

Also, they've been around since 1936 but the So Cal location was the first built outside of Ohio.

It may be a bit fat to drive but there's also a farmer's market nearby so you could always stop by there first and pick up some veggies to make you feel better for the fatty ice cream you're about to eat. Mmmm.....

-James

Hey wait a minute, does frozen custard and gelato count?

Stricklands is pretty good, but like jamesaru said, I don't know about driving an hour to eat it. Also, I know there's other frozen custard stands in L.A. I just can't think of the name.

strickland's thread

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

Hans' is great. That location was originally home to a Swensen's that he and his wife ran. They started it so long ago then when their contract expired, they were able to get out of it with ease and open their own shop. I would imagine that in subsequent years, ice creameries have put strict non-complete clauses into their franchise contracts.

In any case, Hans uses a high milk fat content in his ice cream. The result is a dense and super-creamy product. the store isn't much on interior vibe. Sort of old-school parlor style. Get a few pints to go and you'll be set.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  I can't wait to start trying some of these.

If you get a chance to go to Mashti Malone's or Bert and Rocky's Cream Co, would you mind reporting back?

Actually, I'd love to hear an newcomer's report on any of those places.

thx

--NeroW

• 2 months later...
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  I can't wait to start trying some of these.

If you get a chance to go to Mashti Malone's or Bert and Rocky's Cream Co, would you mind reporting back?

thx

I was at Mashti Malone's last Friday. They were very friendly (I think I tasted almost every flavor they have before deciding on the two I wanted. I usually use vanilla or chocolate chip as a judge of how good a place is, but I wasn't that impressed by either of theirs. However, their ice cream was pretty good. It's only 14% butterfat, though, and while it is techinically super-premium, it doesn't taste as creamy as it could. I was very happy with my ultimate selections, though. The Ginger Rosewater was good, though after a while I lost the ginger flavor and could only taste the rosewater. And for those that like a rich ice ream, the chocolate fudge brownie was great. The fudge and brownie make up for the not-so-rich plain chocolate ice cream (in the rocky road, I the nuts and marshmallows couldn't do enough for the chocolate flavor). So, if you are in the area, I would definitely pay it a visit. But I wouldn't make a cross-country trek just to get some.

• 4 weeks later...

thx

Mashti Malone's is totally cool. The ice cream is gritty and super sugary - but the flavors are so authentic and nice. I LOVE the flat wafer sandwiches. There is a rose and pistachio ice cream -

In Pasadena there is Tutti Gelati and I liked their gelato a lot. It was also a remarkably hot day, which skews everything...

Jeni Britton

Jeni's Fresh Ice Creams

Mashti Malone's is totally cool. The ice cream is gritty and super sugary - but the flavors are so authentic and nice. I LOVE the flat wafer sandwiches. There is a rose and pistachio ice cream -

In Pasadena there is Tutti Gelati and I liked their gelato a lot. It was also a remarkably hot day, which skews everything...

Jeni Britton

Jeni's Fresh Ice Creams

If you had homemade ice cream in Nantucket, why aren't you making homemade ice cream here? It's extremely easy to make, once you have made the creme anglaise, to which you can add whatever flavorings you want and then freeze it. I'm guessing that one of your friends made your ice cream for you, but you should not be afraid to make it yourself as well.

I seldom eat ice cream, being lactose intolerant, but I do like Charly Temmel on the boardwalk in Venice, and the gelato at Massimo's on Abbot Kinney. What I really prefer, however, is the Italian ice at J.J. Chill on Windward Ave at the beach in Venice, although my all time favorite ice cream experience has to be the fresh coconut ice cream I've had on beaches in Mexico.

Have you tried Tropical Zone Juice & Ice Cream at Grand Central Market?

I find that even with a proper custard base, it can be hard to get perfect ice cream at home. I have a Simac which makes great product, but I can't get it the way I really want it. I can't get that ice creamery denseness with that perfect toothy mouth feel. I can make creme anglaise in my sleep so the base isn't really the problem. I just think that industrial freezing gear is always going to beat out the home models, regardless of how "pro" they are.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 2 months later...

SiseFrome- A while back you mentioned Hans' ice cream. Where is that?

Also, an update on Bennet's. I went back for a second chance and it was definitely less gritty than I remembered, but there's still nothing great in LA. This past weekend I was in New York and went to Mary's Dairy Bar. THAT is premium ice cream.

SiseFrome- A while back you mentioned Hans' ice cream. Where is that?

Also, an update on Bennet's. I went back for a second chance and it was definitely less gritty than I remembered, but there's still nothing great in LA. This past weekend I was in New York and went to Mary's Dairy Bar. THAT is premium ice cream.

[/quote

Speaking without being completely certain, I'd say its here...

http://orangecounty.citysearch.com/profile/40859546

"SisieFrome" Is a close friend of mine and based on where he lives its a pretty good bet that this is the place.

The closest thing I ever came to ice cream nirvana in the OC was the Ice Cream purveyed to the restaurants I worked in. There is this guy named Michael of Florentino Ice Creams who makes the best Ice Cream around. The catch is I think he only sells it to restaurants and then you have to deal with the ice cream being re-frozen and not served at the right temp etc.

He has a web site if you have the drive to call him and find out where is a good place to try his product , it may be worth the adventure.

Seriously though when we would get his delivery it would be like a feeding frenzy.

He made this Banana Walnut (which was greyish with fresh bananas I might add) I used to load it into a hot chocolate soufle straight from the oven, as good as sex.

He also did a plum Armanac ice cream that was so boozy you needed a Breathalyzer after a few scoops.

His straight Vanilla Cinnamon was the perfect accompaniment to an apple tart.

Here is his web presence and good luck. If you stumble onto anything good in your search keep me informed.

http://www.florentinoicecream.com/

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Edited by chuckyoufarley (log)

"You can take my foie gras when you can pry it from my cold dead hands"

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net