• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad review of Kenka at St. Marks

GaijinGirl

It's my sad decision to post a negative review of Kenka, which up until today I was rather fond of.

But...Just came back from a run to Kenka for turkey testicles. (Seriously, it looked interesting...!) But every turn I took, the experience got worse. 1) They didn't allow me to order "to go". 2) It took an inordinately long time to get the order. 3) The $6.00 order turned out to be the size of four large lima beans.... 4) When I approached the waitress to give her the money because I had to get going and it was getting late, I got an attitude in return.

It's a real shame, because I'd planned to sample a few more things on the menu, and now I've got--well--a bad taste in my mouth about the place (no, it wasn't the testicles!).

I seriously doubt I'm going back. Oh well. :sad:

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

oooh, kenka does have lousy service, and sometimes i hesitate to order odder menu items just because the menu is so large, but really the place is such a gas and so cheap...

its really an atmosphere kinda place you can go with a crowd and be cheap.

its my favorite late night spot, and you can't beat their cheap drinks, or cotton candy machine.

the grilled eggplant is sublime everytime even if other dishes have been somewhat spotty

Okay: turkey testicle review (I have a feeling everything I'm about to write might elict giggles. :biggrin: ):

They were much smaller than I expected. For some reason, I expected big testicles out of a little turkey. (I was imagining 1" in diameter.) They were the size and shape of large lima beans. And the texture was kind of like bratwurst - something of a tight skin on the outside, and smooth and soft on the inside. They'd salted them (I'm sure it was a chef's addition), but otherwise they were rather bland. Definitely not a $6.00 value. Last time I put turkey testicles in my mouth....!!!!! (Okay, everyone can stop giggling now...!) :raz:

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

• 4 months later...

Had dinner and (way too many) drinks here last night. The food was adequate to good (the squid in the okonomiyaki was way too tough), but the great part is the drinks. A pint of Sapporo will run you just $1.50, nearly a half-pint of passable sake just $2.50. The karaage was tasty, my curry udon exactly as described, and the aspara bacon - bacon-wrapped aspargus, as good as it sounds. Edamame is just $1. Great place to grab some snacks and get faced. Plus, free DIY cotton candy when leaving.

I wanted to celebrate last night (did well on a midterm!) and wanted to go to kenka as I love the smarmy japanese pub food. My boyfriend who is not one for protest, refers to it as the place where "the smell makes me gag" and my sister who is usually down for the same stuff I like was really not interested. I must also mention that my boyfriend who would order an 8 dollar pitcher of beer at a funeral if he could, could not be pursueded- not the day he had only eight bucks to his name. Kenka is not for everyone, I think the brown sweet sauce thats on everything and the bonito flakes put people off. I couldn't be happier, as I love anywhere that have croquette variety. my only beef is the blaring sound system it's just too much. oh well, I suppose, someday I'll find a crew to eat with at Kenka :rolleyes:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I love the music! But I have wacky taste that way. And seeing as I can run to the glowing beast in front of the restaurant from my apartment in less than a minute (and I'm not that quick on the feet relatively speaking), can always be persuaded. And my girlfriend happens to really like their food, despite having issues with Taisho, for non food related reasons. Midterms? You NYU/Cooper/FCI/New School?

I've never had it, but I'm guessing the bull penis is bigger than the turkey testicles. I'm going to miss this area with the 2 taisho's, Panya, sunrise mart, and kenka, etc etc all within a block.

I'm waiting for the Batali restaurant that specializes in Japanese street food interpetations of exotic genitalia. Is turkey testicle offal?

Edited by fauxtarga (log)