• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean noodle dishes

hi everybody!

even though i'm korean, i was never a big fan of naengmyun [or any cold salty soup type dishes]..

but my favourite would have to be my mum's bibimgooksu..

naengmyun noodles mixed with thinly sliced cucumber, radish, a kimchi like sauce and shredded beef, mixed together with seame seeds and oil, and whatever other goodness she puts in there [i think garlic, soy sauce, vinegar..].. eaten cold..mmm

i'll ask her for the exact recipe next time i see her :)

I satisfy my Korean noodle craving with this:

gallery_31494_1381_78943.jpg

I'm not Korean btw. Isn't it obvious from my lack of "cooking" creativity? :raz:

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

You know Tae.Lee I used to be like you and not like naengmyun but as I grew older I learned to like it. I'll pretty much eat any Korean noodle dish except chap chae. I never liked it, and I never saw its appeal. When my mom used to make it I'd just pick out the pieces of egg.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Yummy,

If you need a fix, you grab what you can. I used this product a lot, especially during my HS and college days. Since I have more choices very close by now, I just get my korean noodle fix at my favorite resturants. But I still by this and Nissin ramen. It like junk food and I sometime get the craving.

BTW, Mul naengmyun is the best during warm summer months. Although good JaJanmein, or Jampong definitely has its place. I've fallen of the Bebim Gooksu wagon. The last time I made it (a week ago), I kind of "winged" the sauce receipe and it came out overly sweet an the noodles a bit slimy. Highly unstatisfying.

• 4 weeks later...
You know Tae.Lee I used to be like you and not like naengmyun but as I grew older I learned to like it. I'll pretty much eat any Korean noodle dish except chap chae.  I never liked it, and I never saw its appeal. When my mom used to make it I'd just pick out the pieces of egg.

actually, you're right ;)..

i don't mind so much now, but when i was a kid i couldn't stand it, except for a few bites [usually the egg, meat and some noodles]..

but i loved the hot mustard stuff that was put on it, the liquid packet that you had to open and mix in..

what was that called?

Tae.Lee,

Are you referring to haepar nangchea? This has a yellow mustard based sauce and looks like a noodle dish but it actually has no noodles it it. Its actually jelly fish cut into thin long strips. Reminds me of a summer noodle salad. Really good.