• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French fry forks

Magus

Ask the folks at Belguim Frites on Capital Hill.

If I remember correctly, they import theirs from Belgium...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

What's a french fry fork? :unsure:

It's a small wooden or plastic fork that is served along with your paper cone of fries at most places in Belgium.

geschiedenis.jpg

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Call a couple of restaurant supply places. It is a common item on the east coast. If they sound like they don’t understand describe them, as there may be other names.

Living hard will take its toll...

What's a french fry fork? :unsure:

It's a small wooden or plastic fork that is served along with your paper cone of fries at most places in Belgium.

geschiedenis.jpg

Now I remember. Brings me back 40 years to my misspent youth. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Similar forks come with orders of Nathan's Famous French Fries.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well I've searched the net for them and can't find a supplier. Is this for a one-time deal? If yes, ask the folks at belgium frites if you can buy some.

If it's something that's ongoing, ask who their supplier is.

BTW, welcome to eGullet!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Well I've searched the net for them and can't find a supplier.

Magus:

Welcome to eGullet!

If you're willing to go mailorder, search on "fritesvork" -- I found restaurant-supply places in the Netherlands that sell them:

Bayram

Hupack

Snuverink-Twepa

I was assuming that you wanted a local supplier, since you posted in the PacNW forum. If mail-order is an option, consider a cross-post (or moving the thread) over to "General Food" or "Elsewhere in Europe" forums for a wider distribution.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I would like to thank everyone for their guidance. I am located in the Michigan. I am in the process of opening a food truck. (No roach coach here!) This will be a restaurant on wheels with food cooked to order. I want to be able to rival most of the brick and mortars here in my town. I want to serve the BEST foods from New York that I can find for there are many people transplanted here from the East Coast.

I have realized that most of the “restaurants” have homogenized there food and or serve low quality food with high prices. The only people who loose in this situation are the consumers...and that really stinks.

I want to serve the best quality that I can. I want to do this because of the following.

I want to change the way people normally think about food trucks.

I know I feel cheated when I spend good money on food and it is just awful.

I feel if I am honest, make a good product, and charge a fair price, I will be successful.

I wanted the french fry forks because I remembered them as a child from Nathans while going to Coney Island with my parents.

This is what I have so far. I would appreciate your input. I would like your opinion because I know it would be unbiased.

Rush hour Breakfast:

New York Bagels:

Big toasted bagel with butter…..............................................

Big toasted bagel with a cream cheese and jam

Muffins

New York Breakfast Sandwiches

Two farm fresh eggs with cheese on a Kiser roll

Two farm fresh eggs with cheese on a Kiser roll with bacon or sausage

City blocks: Three French toasted blocks topped with your choice of

Confectionary powder or syrup

Hot Buttered Rum Toast: Three thick slices of bread,

Dipped in a special buttered rum batter grilled to perfection

East side grill

Grilled Cheese : .American, New York Cheddar and Monetary Jack cheese on thick toasted bread

Grilled ham and Cheese. Thinly sliced Genoa ham and American cheese on a kiser or onion

Grilled Ruben :Thinly sliced corn beef with kraut and Swiss cheese, served on rye with a side of Russian dressing

Vegetarian Ruben: Tofu with kraut and Swiss cheese. On rye with a side of Russian dressing

French dip: Hot roast beef served on a French bread with melted Swiss and a side of au jus

Wall St: Marinated Ribeye Cheese steak & cheese sandwich

Lil Havana: Thin sliced roasted lechon asado (roasted Cuban pork) , ham, baby Swiss cheese, dill pickles, yellow mustard, mayo, served on Cuban bread

Park Avenue: Grilled marinated chicken breast & melted baby Swiss cheese.

Served on bed of organic romaine lettuce, a slice of organic tomato on a Kaiser roll

Gourmet street food.

Brooklyn dogger 100% pure beef frankfurter served with your choice of toppings on a toasted parve bun…...........

Brooklyn brat: The best of the wurst served with grilled onions on a tailgate bun......................................................

Polo Ground: 100% pure beef. Kosher polish sausage served on a parve bun

Kosher Coney Island: ¼ lb kosher frankfurter served on a toasted parve

Bowery steak burger

Herb butter steak burger

Club 13 burger: 1/3 lb Kobe steak burger……………........................... ................................................................

.$13.00

cooked to your doneness! With a splash of white wine. Served on a bed of garden greens fresh vegetables on a toasted bun.

Fryers

Hand Cut French Fries

Hand cut Sweet Potato Fries

Onion Rings

Plantain Chips

Buffalo wings

Pier 21

Spiced Red fish sandwich

Breaded Butterfly shrimp with fries

Skyline sandwiches

Tuna Salad

Egg Salad……………………

Chicken salad……………..

Roast beef…………………

Corned beef…………………

Pastrami …………………….

Boiled ham……………………

Roast turkey……………….

Tri-borough (choose any three meats)

Gracy mansion: (thin sliced pastrami, corned beef, Munster & Swiss topped with cole slaw and Russian dressing…………

Midtown soups

Matzoth ball soup................................. 2.95

Manhattan Island Clam chowder……..2.95

Four onion soup…................................2.95

Beef tea……........................………….2.95

New York penicillin

(Chicken soup)…...........................…..2.95

Salads

Square garden

Mixed field greens

with fresh vegetables. Tomatoes, onions, cucumbers………………..4.95

Bowery salad

Mixture of cubed meat and cheese added to the square garden……. 6.95

Gourmet sweets.

Oatmeal Raisin cookie

Chocolate Chip Cookie

Double chocolate brownie

Thank You, The kid from Brooklyn

A balanced diet starts...with a burger for each hand...

http://nineburgers.blogspot.com/

Be part of the click!

http://twitter.com/nineburgers

Do you expect to have a large kosher contingent? Your food truck is obviously not kosher as you are serving cheese & meat together, so why the emphasis on kosher (parve) buns? It makes sense for the all beef hot dog, but I don't think it's necessary to have a beef polish sausage served on a parve bun. If it's a polish sausage, just make it pork.

IMO, don't make the russian dressing for the reuben automatically on the side. Part of the essense of the reuben sandwich is the melding to melted swiss, kraut and russian dressing. If someone asks for it on the side, accomodate them, but no need to make it de rigeur. (Also, notice the spelling of reuben.)

You're spelling kaiser roll incorrectly.

"City blocks: Three French toasted blocks topped... " Blocks of what?

"Genoa" ham? I think of genoa as being salami, ham is usually "Virginia" around here.

Do you expect to have a large kosher contingent? Your food truck is obviously not kosher as you are serving cheese & meat together, so why the emphasis on kosher (parve) buns? It makes sense for the all beef hot dog, but I don't think it's necessary to have a beef polish sausage served on a parve bun. If it's a polish sausage, just make it pork.

Reply:

Well: I do have a large enough kosher contingent here. Although I do serve cheese and meat toghether, the kosher foods will have there own utensils as well as their own grill.

IMO, don't make the russian dressing for the reuben automatically on the side. Part of the essense of the reuben sandwich is the melding to melted swiss, kraut and russian dressing. If someone asks for it on the side, accomodate them, but no need to make it de rigeur. (Also, notice the spelling of reuben.)

Reply: Good point!

You're spelling kaiser roll incorrectly.

Reply: My apologies, I can't spell worth crap!

Reply:

Well, I take a loaf of bread, Slice the crust off all four sides of the loaf, then cut it into long blocks. I then inject the blocks with a milk chocolate syrup then dip the block of bread into the french toast batter, then grill as usual.

A balanced diet starts...with a burger for each hand...

http://nineburgers.blogspot.com/

Be part of the click!

http://twitter.com/nineburgers

Reply:

Well, I take a loaf of bread, Slice the crust off all four sides of the loaf, then cut it into long blocks. I then inject the blocks with a milk chocolate syrup then dip the block of bread into the french toast batter, then grill as usual.

Hmm, you might want to mention that it has a chocolate filling. Some people are allergic or don't like chocolate. :shock: Also, the more you explain on your menu, the less questions people will ask, saving you time to do the cooking!

I was wondering what part of Seattle or Portland "the Michigan" is.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Try the following

www.wellscoffe.com

www.balpex.ca

www.ashwood-timber.co.uk

www.rofson.com

I have found the forks!!!. Thank You so much.

Your welcome. If its out there I will find it.

An ambitious undertaking to say the least, Sounds like a good menu. Just a heads up on using the word Kosher or Kosher style, a friend of mine had a chicken joint and started to advertise “Kosher Style Roast Chicken” The local rabbinical board sent him a C&D. they took issue to the fact that his joint was misleading the public.

One the East Coast when I worked in Elizabeth NJ they had a couple of trucks like that that made the rounds to office and manufacturing complexes. Some were rather good and were as you said; “mobile restaurants” while others were purveyors of warm death on a stale bun.

Keep your menu small that way you can concentrate on the quality, think In-And-Out Burger or Maxwell Street Market. This will also help on food costs, as you will have less on hand to spoil.

Edited by WHT (log)

Rösle from Germany makes them, but they're horribly expensive.

How about regular fruit fork?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Rush hour Breakfast:

New York Bagels:

Big toasted bagel with butter…..............................................

Big toasted bagel with a cream cheese and jam

Thank You, The kid from Brooklyn

I think you might want to take the jam away from the bagel and cream cheese.

It's a bagel with a schmear here - no jam.

Edited by lamb (log)