• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Pichet [SEA]

We went up to Seattle for a bbq competition on Sunday. That evening we ventured out to find some food and walked by Le Pichet. They were not able to seat us because we didn't have reservations. That made me want to eat there even more.

So now I'm curious. If its that full on a Sunday evening whats the story???

Rodney

Le Pichet is a Seattle eG All-Star! If you do a search on Pichet, you'll find a veritable plethora of threads on it.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

We were there for dinner w/2 other couples on Valentine's Day. The food was wonderful, hubby and I shared their Valentine special NY Steak for 2 w/ Port Wine Sauce & Mushrooms and Tallegio Scalloped Potatoes. We started off with their charcuterie plate, I love their rillettes and country pate. Ended with their cheese plate which was great. They include an amuse bouche and a small after dinner chocolate treat. Their signature Roast Chicken is always good, too. Prices are reasonable. It can get a little noisy when it gets crowded, though.

You really need to go! It's a favorite of this board.

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

Grilled sardines! Also the ham platter is great. . . butter lettuce salad is nice. . . Cheeeeeeese. . . .and they will just keep bringing you bread and butter forever, as far as I can tell. Great place to while away the afternoon.

I think the chicken must be brined. It was definitely top 3 chickens ever--super-moist, tasty. It was with a taleggio sauce the night we went, with brussels sprouts.

The brandade is great too.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

• 9 months later...

I did a search for Le Pichet but just came across the chicken post so i thought I'd start a restaurant review post.

My husband and I have been eating here for a few years now. We just love it. I think it's the best priced french bistro in Seattle by far.

Anyway we went last night for dinner and again it was awesome!

As usual our eyes were way bigger than our stomachs and we just couldn't stop ourselves from ordering way too much. Started with a glass of cremant d'Alsace (sp?) thanks to the topic & article of jbonne's I just read. Dayne had a lentil salad with greens and sausage with pistachio from Lyon. YUM! this is awesome, there is a bacon vinaigrette or something on it and the lentils were perfectly cooked. I had the pate which is just so good I can rarely not order it.

Next up we ordered a pichet of cru Beaujolis and I had the onion soup while Dayne worked on a huge charcuterie platter- ham, sausage from Lyon, pate, rilettes, another sausage and veal tongue. oh my!! the veal tongue was soooo flavorful and the rilettes just rock!

We shared the roast chicken, it was perfect as always. So juicy it boggles thought IMO. Served with a gratin of potatoes, leeks and gruyere. We were soooo stuffed, no room for cheese but the selection looked awesome.

And all of that for $115! DAMN!! I love this place :biggrin:

While Le Pichet is, in a way, "French trucker food," I do consider it to be one of my absolutely favorite restaurants anywhere. I used to go in once a week on Saturdays, but that precious little timeslot has been compromised by Matt's in the past few months. :)

For me, the kicker of Le Pichet is its wine list. There are precious few places in the city where you can get so many tastes of so many reasonably priced wines from a relatively knowledgeable staff.

Also, it doesn't hurt that its street view gets better with each glass of wine.

Le Pichet is, in a way, "French trucker food,"

Ain't it so! It's just stunning how good the food is in French truck stops.

I still find Cafe Campagne to be better food. And always great wine choices, with reasonable markups.

Steve

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

I love Pichet and have been going for a few years now.  Lately it seems the service has slipped a bit.  Is it just me?  Was I there on a bad day?

Hal

hmmm....Last night I was thinking that we had better service than we've had in the past! haha!

I've eaten at Cafe Campagne a few times but honestly I like Le Pichet better. I think its a combination of the atmosphere, the changing menu and the owner. It just always makes me feel like I'm in one of my favorite neighborhood bistros in Paris.

And I have to say that I've never heard French Bistro food referred to as French Trucker food. Someone should tell Keller before Bouchon does too well! :raz:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Dayne had a lentil salad with greens and sausage with pistachio from Lyon. YUM! this is awesome, there is a bacon vinaigrette or something on it and the lentils were perfectly cooked. I had the pate which is just so good I can rarely not order it.

Le Pichet does lentils better than just about anywhere I've been.

Le Pichet is great. I really enjoy their charcuterie. Sometimes the service is a bit off, but their tables are always reserved and full everynight so it hasn't affected them yet.

I found my current favorite wine, Domaine Forca Real Cotes du Roussillon, there about four visits ago. We have this bottle every time.

It's imported by someone in California and the folks at Le Pichet say they only supply restaurants. :angry:

Time to open Chez Really Nice!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Pichet rocks.

rocks. rocks. rocks.

i'd laud them for their snails alone.  but one of my really special Seattle pleasures is a simple breakfast at the bar here -- double espresso with a baguette (plus butter and jam).

Yes, yes, breakfast!

Also the Oeufs Plat are really wonderful. I also sometimes have cheese for breakfast--odd, but very good.

We must try them for dinner sometime.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Wah!! No fair! I am stuck all way over here in KY where all I can do is dream about Le Pichet. I still wake up with drool on my pillow after a good dream about their baked ham and eggs dish. Let's see....four more months until I can get back to Seattle.....wah!!

• 9 months later...

I hadn't been to Le Pichet often enough before last night to realize that they change their menu every six weeks. Now, for 3 more weeks, you can have a really wonderful dinner if you have exactly what I had. Wowsers, was it good!

Crisp fried pork tongue on shredded carrots marinated with cumin, currants, orange and parsley - oh, that tongue! Indescribably, meltingly rich and tender, with a big pile of carrots as a lovely foil.

Fish of the day (halibut last night) wrapped in Serrano ham and pan roasted, on pearl barley, grilled figs, and endive - a gorgeous balance of flavors and textures. Next time I'd beg for a couple of extra figs.

Chocolat chaud - Parisian hot chocolate, not on the menu, not on the board, but offered by our server. A very shareable cup of thick, warm chocolate, like a thin ganache, and another bowl of whipped cream, for you to assemble one spoonful at a time. OMG.

Three more weeks, get some! Shel's chicken liver terrine was a huge, velvety portion, and his salade Nicoise was big enough that we had leftovers for lunch today, and was piled with tuna.

All that, plus a demi-pichet of Saumur, for under $70 plus tip. What a nice restaurant.

Della and I had the crispy tongue on Monday night!!! we also had the soup du jour, a butternut with sage and fried squid garnish (YUM!), salad with lentil vinaigrette, chevre and figs and the charcoutrie platter of sausisson, jambon, more tongue, pate and rillettes.

no room for dessert but we had a pichet of nice red and our total was around $70 also.