• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Pichet [SEA]

• 8 months later...
Is anyone familiar with the reservation policy? I can't seem to get through when I call....

thanks

hmm not sure what you are asking, they do take reservations if they have seats available. make sure you have the right number? Le Pichet

Thanks! I did get through and made a reservation for a Sunday night. The person who answered the phone was a little hesitant at first, so I wonder if they don't take reservations for certain nights....obviously they don't need to in order to keep their seats filled on most evenings.

I am so looking forward to my visit in just over a week. has anyone been recently?

• 1 year later...

Visiting Seattle for a week of eating (we keep getting asked, "you came to SEATTLE in November for vacation??"). Ate at Le Pichet last night after remembering this and other threads lauding it, plus having it recommended to us by our wonderful waitress at Lark (where we worked our way through 14 incredible plates of food, including 3 desserts).

It was a Saturday night and we did have a reservation and were seated immediately. I was prepared for the cramped tables (I had a stranger within elbow room of me on either side of the banquet all night). Fine. No problem there. But what I found shocking was the noise level. Neither of us had ever experienced anything like this, ever, anywhere. The waitress had her mouth three inches from my ear and was shouting the specials and we missed every single word (luckily they were abbreviated on a chalk board). I seriously wanted to start pouting after my fourth attempt to discuss wine with my dining partner. It was incredibly annoying to be leaning my entire body across the tiny table and still not be able to speak audibly. It seems like the space is designed to maximise poor acoustics; fairly low, flat ceiling, not a soft surface in the place etc.

We ordered two green salads, two sausage dishes, two terrines and the roast chicken and everything was great. To drink we had a couple glasses of sparkling rose and a pichet of riesling. The bread served with the meal was awesome and we ate a ton of that as well.

I just can't believe that I did not find one other complaint here about the noise factor. Is nobody else bothered by this or was this just unusually loud, even for Le Pichet? We agreed that we would never go back, no matter how incredible our meal had been (and it was really very good). Someone mentioned that they play live music in there occasionally. Just thinking about that gives me a headache.

I hardly ever complain and really don't like to so this was very unusual for me. Before yesterday, I'd have been hard pressed to come up with anything getting in the way of perfect happiness wherever pate and good bread are involved. :wink:

Seattle seems to have a peculiar affinity for tooth-ache inducing noise levels in restaurants. I can't stand it, but apparently many, many people find it to be a good proxy for a place having "energy."

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

IMO, there's a big difference between the noise level in a dining room with good energy and one so loud you can't hold a conversation. I've never had the latter experience at Le Pichet but I can see how it might happen. However, I did experience it at Zig Zag the other night. Man, it was loud in there!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I haven't experienced excessive noise at Le P either, even when it's full. (Funny, I haven't at Zig Zag either). Maybe it just takes one especially loud group to get everyone rolling?

That was my thought. You get a couple of loud groups and that changes the acoustics of the entire place.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I've had the unbelievably loud experience there too--unfortunately, while my parents were visiting! Wonder if Cafe Presse is any more mellow? (Though it seems unlikely...)

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I've only been to Presse once, and it was packed and certainly lively but not TOO noisy, at least in back where we sat. We didn't have to talk over the noise. (And damn that mushroom-pear soup was good, as was their special baguette).

• 2 weeks later...

a trip to seattle just to go to le pichet is my boyfriends' christmas present, because i'm sure that there is nothing that he wants more then to go back there. We stumbled into Le Pichet and lucked into a table right away on a sat. night around 9pm. we had been at wedding festivites all day and needed a totally restorative, and we had the most perfect evening there. perfect!!! you lucky seattle-ites