• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants with double lives

I am developing a story about restaurants that have double lives. The idea was prompted by a friend telling me about the Apothecary's House Tea Room & Bistro in Pateley Bridge near Harrogate. A tea room by day, its taken over on Friday and Saturday nights by a young chef who serves a short a la carte menu (my friend is going tonight so I should be able to let you know if its any good or not next week) .

This got me thinking if there were other establishments around the country that did similar things. In Brighton we have Carats cafe which serves full English and beans on toast during the day and a full a la carte menu in the evening; and Inn The Park in London which is a typical park cafe during the day but serves modern British restaurant food in the evening.

If you know of anywhere else that does something similar, I'd love to hear about it.

We may have something like that coming to Padstow.A Tea Room which , if the rumours are to be believed, will a "Thai" place in the evenings.I'm guessing it's the same guy that approached me awhile back wanting to rent the 2 nights that we are closed.I think my answer was "feck off" :biggrin:

Ian Beale - where did he train? Was he one of Marco's boys?

I think he might have staged at El Bulli and then had his own place in San Sebastian for a while before moving to Walford. I understand he has also branched out with a fish restaurant.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

we have a couple of places in Leeds with split personalities ...

Sami's in Chapel Allerton is a greasy caff by day (with All day english breakfasts to be sluiced down with mugs of tea) ... and by night, with a few metres of voile, dimmed lighting and bejewelled cushions, becomes a very nice BYO Moroccan place in the evening. Cheap and cheerful rather than haute cuisine - but have had many a good evening there. Must be doing well since it appears it's now expanded upstairs and you can no longer just walk in and expect to get a table!

And on Street Lane - just across from the legendary Flying Pizza is Cafe 41 ... a baker's during the day, and a bistro like place in the evening. Not been for a few years - so it is possible it is now permanently one or the other ... but it used to be okay.

Darn it ... now need to add to my list of restaurants to visit in the new year.

Yin

Edited by YKL (log)

There is quite a nice little cafe/tea rooms in Winchester, who's name escapes me but does usual fare in the daytime plus a few specials but fairly recently started opening as a restaurant with a short menu in the evening. I think they originally started as an experiment for 'occasion' dining, valentines day etc but it took off.

There is also a Pub (The Westgate - which did go through a 'Gastropub' phase) where the chef from a local indian place takes over in the evenings (And now lunchtimes I think). It's not bad actually, the guy won a BBC cook of the year competition years back, and still has the dish on his menu (Something to do with trout I think), and it's nice to be able to have a decent pint with it.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

were you interested specifically in restaurants with two distinct identities - i.e. day and night?

Otherwise I *think* there is a takeaway in York that purports to sell Bengali and Chinese food at the same time ..... which don't strike me as natural bedfellows ... but maybe I should be brave ..... :wacko:

Great stuff, keep it coming! (If you can find out the name of the tea rooms that would be great.

Arggh

Here are the tea rooms - but no mention of the evening opening on the website, they might have stopped. I might go for a lunchtime welsh rarebit tomorrow (It's rather good) and see.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 1 month later...

Andy

Are you still looking for more examples for your article? If so - am going to the Dough Bakery bistro in Leeds tomorrow evening - seems to be well regarded so will try and remember to do a write up if it lives up to its promise.

Think chef is Wayne Newsome who used be be at Marcels in Leeds?

cheers

Yin

I would be very interested, yes thanks. I think I went to Marcel's once, very MPW if I remember correctly. If its the place I'm thinking of (slightly out of town in a mostly residential area with a very fussy modern interior) I had a gateau opera for dessert that was straight outof the pages of Canteen Cuisine.

I would be very interested, yes thanks. I think I went to Marcel's once, very MPW if I remember correctly. If its the place I'm thinking of (slightly out of town in a mostly residential area with a very fussy modern interior) I had a gateau opera for dessert that was straight outof the pages of Canteen Cuisine.

That would make sense Andy as Wayne Newsome did a stint at Harveys. He's a very hard working, talented and creative chef. I'm glad he's got his own place again, bravo and good luck to him. You could do a lot worse Andy.

Not relevant to your research, time- or place-wise, but for a while Eli Zabar in NYC operated a restaurant across the street from his Vinegar Factory food market; during the day it was self-service - coffee, pastries, soup, a few sandwiches - then at night it became a true restaurant, with tablecloths, waiters and a full menu. Not bad, either. Oh - it also sold magazines and newspapers, so you could buy something to read with your daytime snack (too dark, as I recall, at dinnertime).

Sorry Andy

Turns out the Dough Bistro is in fact a full time bistro ... with only the name as a link to its former use - so no dual split at all.

However - the food was very good, reasonably wide choices on the menu and it's a nice atmosphere there as well so it's likely I'll go back. I should try and find time to do a short write up.

cheers

Yin

Edited by YKL (log)