• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tacuba Cantina Mexicana

Free Wilma

Has anyone tried the new Mexican restaurant in Alexandria, Tacuba? It's in the Bradlee Shopping Center in the space formerly occupied by another fairly lame Mexican take out (maybe called Desert Moon??) right by the Chicken Out. I believe it was mentioned in Tom's weekly chat on Wednesday. Its website claims "authentic" interior mexican cuisine and the menu looks somewhat promising. I'm going to try and swing by sometime this weekend but would love to know if anyone else has tried it yet.

My wife and I have been there a couple of times and have enjoyed it. The atmosphere is very nice - pleasant room, friendly staff and good service. Their food definitely leans more toward what I would consider traditional Mexican as opposed to Tex-Mex (which is often confused in this area). The prices are good and the food has been pretty good too. The spiced tortillas and salsas that come to the table are especially nice. Let us know what you think of the place.

Has anyone tried the new Mexican restaurant in Alexandria, Tacuba?  It's in the Bradlee Shopping Center in the space formerly occupied by another fairly lame Mexican take out (maybe called Desert Moon??) right by the Chicken Out.  I believe it was mentioned in Tom's weekly chat on Wednesday.  Its website claims "authentic" interior mexican cuisine and the menu looks somewhat promising.  I'm going to try and swing by sometime this weekend but would love to know if anyone else has tried it yet.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

This looks like a great place for our first "Tuesday for $20" outing after the holidays.

I guess that means that you have volunteered to organize. :biggrin:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

• 4 weeks later...
Todd Kliman on Tacuba.

Having been to Tacuba, I ask myself why Todd would devote an entire column of City Paper to it, and my guess is that it's the investigative journalist in him that decided to chronicle a moment in time. He pegged Tacuba with his article, in particular the part about it being destined for expansion, and I suspect as more of them crop up in other areas like little strip-mall whack-a-moles (that's mole the Mexican sauce, not mole the subterranean mammal), we'll look back on his article and say "yep."

Perhaps confirmed by Linda Roth in her January, 2005 issue of "The Latest Dish," where she mentions that Tacuba is apparently set to "roll them out nationally, working with franchise development company, Fransmart."

So here is my question to you, gentle readers:

What does Tacuba have in common with a feral hog?

Answer: they're both Rushin' bores (Russian boars) that will eventually spread to different parts of the country.

All together now... 1 ! 2 !! 3 !!! <YAWN>

Rocks.

A deadpan server brings out a cocktail shaker and a tray of raw ingredients. Into a glass tumbler they go, each one called off with rueful solemnity: shrimp, green pepper, cilantro, onion, lime juice, ketchup. Whoa, I interrupted him, ketchup? By which point I had thrown off his spiel and he was glaring at me. All night I kept thinking: Does Miller know about this?

:biggrin: Ah, I needed that!

Oh wait, it's back...nevermind. :angry::angry:

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog