• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese: The Topic

Florida Jim

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

What is lasagna, if not macaroni and cheese?

Macaroni and beef? 😋 Granted I make lasagne with just parmigiano.

I think the main problem with macaroni and cheese to be had in many places is the pasta is so often unforgivingly overcooked. 

For this, we prefer to make it at home. Though in Italy, don't have much choice anyway. I haven't had boxed mac and cheese in at least 20 years! I'd be very curious to try it again. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ambra said:

I think the main problem with macaroni and cheese to be had in many places is the pasta is so often unforgivingly overcooked.

For this, we prefer to make it at home. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, rotuts said:

and lasagna has to have a béchamel sauce as a base to build on.

"Has to" might be a bit overkill... mine usually doesn't. :P And it could be argued that unless it comes from a box or uses one of the modernist methods, mac and cheese generally involves a béchamel base to build on as well. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.