• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine gone dumb or dead?

Really Nice!

How do you know if a wine is going through its dumb period or if a wine is dead?

I opened a red tonight and it seems to be missing the components I've gotten from it in the past. I'm expecting it stay vibrant longer than this year.

I'm deliberately holding back on vintage, varietal, and vintner because I don't want responses about this specific wine. I want to know how to tell if a wine is closing down for a while or dead. I still have 7 bottles in the case.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Sometimes it can be hard to tell. But, a dumb phase is where the weight and mouthfeel can still be there, but the wine has just "shut down", I use the analogy of obsedian...just all dense and dark, no layers.

Dead usually shows a total lack of fruit, leaving only tannins and bitter components and/or a mustiness/

If there is still a decent nose, it probably is dumb, not dead.

Of course, alot more depends on the wine, vintage, storage conditions, age, yadda yadda yadda.

Cheers,

Rob

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.