• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good restaurants in India

foie

My parents are going to India and want to go to some good authentic Indian restaurants. Can anybody recommend anygood ones?

It might help if you could mention where in India they are going.

My parents are going to India and want to go to some good authentic Indian restaurants. Can anybody recommend anygood ones?

I can think of a few but it would help if you narrow down the regions. Just in case though.

1. The newish and shiny looking restaurant near the Trivandrum train station.

2. Traveling between Cochin and Trivandrum there is a town called Mavelikara. In the center of town is a restaurant called Hare Krishann's (sp). They will make you the best Masala Dosa you've ever tasted. And it will cost you 10 rupees at the most

3. In Hyderabad there's a small chain of restaurants near one of the theatres called Kamal's. They have a Roti restaurant that is fantastic, and also has one of the better after-dinner Pan selections.

4. There's also a restaurant in Hyderabad with "Café" in the name, but I've forgotten it. It's a fancy shmancy place, but when I was there I only had the Thali because I was on a budget.

My Parents are going to be goind to Mumbai, Varanesi and Shimla.

Bombay has an unlimited choice of truly awesome places to eat! Here are a few places that I like

MAHESH LUNCH HOME- to die for Mangalorean fish dishes...

KONKAN CAFE- this is at the Taj President Hotel, more great fish and some really delicious vegetarian food also

KAILASH PARBAT- tasty Sindhi sweets and snacks

VRINDAVAN HOTEL(?)- South Indian veg food and they also do a good pav bhaji for those afraid to eat it at the beach. Otherwise, for pav bhaji go to Juhu Beach and eat it with a masala soda

JIMMY BOY- Parsi food....a good place to gorge yourself...just remember TUMS(:

PRITHVI CAFE- this is at the Prithvi Theatre...really nice homestyle food of different varieties....totally unpretentious and a fun place to hang out

I could list too many more....I'm sure others here will have suggestions also

e

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Aaram Cafe in mahim - Vegetarian gujurati Food

Mahesh Lunch home (there are two - One by JW Marriott in Juhu and another in South Bombay)

Gajali - malvani food - nothing fancy, great Malvani Food.

Pritam's in Dadar for Punjabi Food

Dumphukt (not as good as New Delhi) in Sheraton Maratha (by the Int. Airport)

Gokul - Chruchgate - Mughlai non-veg Thali

Mela - Punjabi/Mughlai - Worli Naka

Trishna - Seafood /Crabs - Kala Ghoda - Fort

you want old world Irani/Parsi food (a dying breed) Britannia and Picadilly in Fort area.

There are lots of Udipi restaurants in every neighborhood for south indian fare. Most restaurants also serve chinese- Indian Chinese that is :)

Most Five-star hotels have atleast one or two fairly upscale restaurants that serve a whole array of regional cuisines of india.

Edited by anil (log)

anil

I just got back from India and willpost my list shortly. They will have a great time I am sure and folks here have given some great suggestions

Welcome back Monica!!! :biggrin: (Tossing Confetti into the air) The room has been pretty slow without your radiant presence :smile:

• 1 month later...

A friend is making a business trip for three weeks to India and will spend about a week in each of Bangalore, Mumbai, and Chennai.

He'll be on an expense account with few limits, but he's not big on fancy. But I don't know how much cash they'll give him. Where can he go that he can use his credit card, but also get quality local food? Of course, Indian food would be the first choice, but if there are especially good restaurants for other cuisines, especially nearby cuisines, that would be great, too. He loves spicy, btw.

If you've got some "don't miss" cheap recs, too, that'd be great. I'm sure he'll have some cash. And if you want to throw in any info about the cuisine in general, the area beyond it's food or whatever, don't hesitate.

TIA

A friend is making a business trip for three weeks to India and will spend about a week in each of Bangalore, Mumbai, and Chennai.

I will be visiting Chennai soon and this is the first time I am returning to Chennai after giving up being a vegetarian. I am especially keen to try out the Chettinad eateries, Karaikudi and a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Ponnuswamy. The latter was very popular among the southern indian students when I was at university, but I stayed away because of my veggie habit. I dont know the address, but I am sure the locals will recognise this very famous 'mess hall'.

The last time I was in Bangalore, I went to this wonderful Kerala restaurant called Karavalli. It is on Residency Road. In the same locality is Nagarjuna, an Andhra restaurant. Very spicy food.

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

among other newer eateries, there's one in indira nagar on 100 ft road

(that's the name of the road) which is devoted to chettinad cuisine.

VERY spicy.

they should definitely sample indian chinese cuisine in bangalore.

i'm lucky enough that in my off beat neck of the us woods we

have an indian chinese place!

i gained sig weight there last weekend......

i'm sure episure will have great suggestions for bangalore...

milagai

Mumbai. Varanasi, Simla... and not Delhi?

I concur about Trishna in Kalaghoda nad Mahesh Lunch Home in Mumbai. I would also add Viva Paschim in Dadar, and Apurva restaurant.

But for North Indian food, Delhi is definitely the place. Karim's in Nizamuddin for Muslim inspired dishes - and no-one still beats Bokara at the Maurya Hotel for Tandoori dishes.

He'll be on an expense account with few limits, but he's not big on fancy. But I don't know how much cash they'll give him. Where can he go that he can use his credit card, but also get quality local food? Of course, Indian food would be the first choice, but if there are especially good restaurants for other cuisines, especially nearby cuisines, that would be great, too. He loves spicy, btw.

If you've got some "don't miss" cheap recs, too, that'd be great. I'm sure he'll have some cash. And if you want to throw in any info about the cuisine in general, the area beyond it's food or whatever, don't hesitate.

TIA

Hey, If your friend is going to be in Mumbai/Bombay starting tomorrow - Send me a PM, as I'm gonna fly in to BOM from DEL for a few days. :biggrin:

anil

Would it be appropriate to pimp my own Bangalore restaurant here? :)

And Milagai, that Chettinad restaurant is called 'Annachi'. Down the road from me.

Hey Madhu welcome!

I passed by your restaurant a few weeks ago and didnt come up because my partner was not into SEA cuisine. Maybe I'll turn up solo one day and hope you will give me a tasting menu. :rolleyes:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com