• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2011–2012)

Chris Amirault

Need a call from someone that knows. I've seen 2 versions of the Angel Face online. Both with calvados, gin and apricot but one with lemon and one without. Which is correct?

Savoy says equal parts gin, Calvados and apricot. No lemon.

I'll go with that then. Thanks Matt!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I find it interesting that blended Scotch gets more respect than Canadian rye. Aren't they both more or less whiskey cut with neutral spirits? Not that Canadian rye is the same as American 100% rye. I actually like CC, partially because the taste evokes good memories, but I don't drink it very much.

Its not "Canadian Rye" its just "Canadian Whisky" (a whisky that is "in the spirit of Canadian Whisky" is about the only restriction, these spirits may be colored (usually w/ caramel)). An example of a Canadian Rye Whisky would be Alberta Premium (its mash bill is 100% rye), but it ALSO qualifies as just "Canadian Whisky". Things that are Canadian Whisky but NOT rye are brands such as CC, Crown, Seagrams.

Interesting difference in that CC is actually pre-mixed before barreling, meaning that they combine the results of all their distillations before aging, so all ingredients age in the same barrel and thouroughly mix. As opposed to Crown and Seagrams who first age (or don't) their distillate and after aging mix them for the final product. Why I heavily suggest the cheaper, and imo, better, CC 12 year which I use as a replacement for my friends who like Crown Royal.

American Rye Whiskey, well its Rittenhouse, Bulleit Rye, Jim Beam Rye etc...not sure what restrictions are on them aside from mash bill of 51% rye+...if a drink calls for rye whisk(e)y I use Alberta Premium or Bulleit Bourbon if I want to sub a rye heavy bourbon.

I'm still learning, so someone please elaborate or correct me if im wrong, this is just the impression I had, but didn't double check anything which is most likely a mistake.

Tonight I went to drink, which is in downtown Boston, they say the financial district but they lie.

I had a airline pilot (?) which was apple brandy and was really good, a ramos gin fizz which was the ultimate girly drink, I felt like the best kind of flapper, and a really good sazerac made with cognac. I have pictures, but am far to tired/tipsy to post them right now.

DeGroff's book landed on my doorstep this afternoon. Flipped to the page on the Negroni and mixed one up. Not sure what to make of it--I like it enough to keep on drinking but I'm not sure if I want to make more.

Will try a Manhattan later.

Anything else I should look into? My present collection of spirits includes a single malt (Talisker), the Canadian Club, gin (Tanq.), sweet red vermouth, dry vermouth, Campari and Amaretto.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

DeGroff's book landed on my doorstep this afternoon. Flipped to the page on the Negroni and mixed one up. Not sure what to make of it--I like it enough to keep on drinking but I'm not sure if I want to make more.

Will try a Manhattan later.

Anything else I should look into? My present collection of spirits includes a single malt (Talisker), the Canadian Club, gin (Tanq.), sweet red vermouth, dry vermouth, Campari and Amaretto.

Don't worry, you'll start craving Campari soon enough, especially if you didn't spit out your first Negroni. I like americanos - leave the gin out of your negroni and top with soda or tonic water. Lemon slice is good. Then mix yourself a martini with a reasonable amount of dry vermouth.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Sounds like a more accessible entry point.

EDIT

I guess I should've mentioned in addition to the spirits I have a bottle of bitters, tonic water, soda water and lime juice cordial.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Tonight I went to drink, which is in downtown Boston, they say the financial district but they lie.

I had a airline pilot (?) which was apple brandy and was really good, a ramos gin fizz which was the ultimate girly drink, I felt like the best kind of flapper, and a really good sazerac made with cognac. I have pictures, but am far to tired/tipsy to post them right now.

Looks like you really enjoyed your drinks then! :) I will try some good drinks tonight in bar. Post the pictures when you have time. :)

I'm guessing it would be too. The LCBO brought in a limited stock of Sazerac 6 year, the only American rye to hit the store that I know about, and it went for $45/750ml. Outrageous, scandalous... I grabbed three. :biggrin:

Make yourself a truly righteous and proper Sazerac with that Saz rye. You can thank me later... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

phone 008.jpg

This was my first drink, the sky pilot. It was made with Apple brandy, dark rum, and citrus and grenadine. I had said i wanted something with Apple brandy or apple jack, he asked did I want something boozy or citrusy and i said I don't care. I will definitely try and make this again. The taste of apple was very direct, with the rum weirdly adding a fall touch of brown sugar.

phone 010.jpg

This was my second drink. I asked the lady bartender for a Ramos gin fizz. I have read about them, and tried to make them myself, but it was never all that special. I realized as i watched her it is because although I can shake for a good while, she shook it for an amazing time. She was washing up with her other hand while she shook. The final product was amazing. My favorite cocktails are the ones where it is almost impossible to separate the individual ingredients, because they have all merged together inot a cohesive whole. And this did. It quite heavy on the Orange flower water, which was delicious and not overwhelming. The texture was amazing, like a milk shake. Some how she got the fluff to ride an inch over the top of the glass and put in a spoon straw thing that was pretty genius. I would definitely call this a girly drink, but not too sweet or gross or weirdly fruity. The right kind of girly drink.

phone 012.jpg

This was my last drink. I wanted something whiskey. thought about it and though sazerac! the bartender lady said the way she liked it best was the old fashioned style using cognac. Would I like that. I said absolutely. and holy moly it was good. I have steered away from sazeracs because i am not fond of aniseed and was afraid that the rinse would make a nasty liquorice mess of my whiskey, in this case cognac. Well it didn't. it merged into the whole into what was a really good and complex cocktail.

People do go on about the pretentious level at Drink, my only complaint is I hate standing, and was not wearing shoes to stand in, but once i got a bar stool I was a very happy camper. I found the drinks really worth the tab. (and I am not wealthy, when i blow money on costy drinks, I want to walk away blown away, and i was. ) altogether a great evening.

Sprang this on Fernet-hating wife. Happiness ensued.

3/4 oz Wray & Nephew overproof white rum

3/4 oz Flor de Cana 7 year old dark rum

1/4 oz Fernet Branca

1/2 oz Cynar

1 oz orange juice (clementine in this case)

1/2 oz lime juice

1 orange coin as garnish

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Was hoping someone could give me a suggestion for a good Cynar cocktail. Just acquired a bottle and want a drink that it shines in (can't seem to decide what to make, theres an abundance of cynar recipes :P )

EDIT: And reading through KC i find most have exactly 1 ingredient I am missing :P

Edited by Sohoskiracer (log)

Was hoping someone could give me a suggestion for a good Cynar cocktail. Just acquired a bottle and want a drink that it shines in (can't seem to decide what to make, theres an abundance of cynar recipes :P )

EDIT: And reading through KC i find most have exactly 1 ingredient I am missing :P

I'm not a Cynar pro but I like the Art Of Choke.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm not a Cynar pro but I like the Art Of Choke.

Really wanted to make that one...it was my first choice, but dont have the demerrera syrup, thinking about subbing a 2:1 honey syrup though (that or ill go buy some demerrera sugar as I really wanted to try a sweetish sour (in my mind) with Laird's 100%, Lemon Juice and Demerrera or Honey). How much would it kill the drink to sub there?

Also SWEET, another cocktail blog to read :)

And to get some drink content in here I just tried a Dubbonet Cocktail, made a Dandy a couple weeks ago and liked that ALOT better, the Dubonet cocktail is really lacking the citrus notes (i added orange bitters), next time Ill use a more floral gin though. Im thinking of toying around with Dubbonet and Aperol together sometime next week...they seem like they would play well together.

EDIT: Going through the blog, in the intro this appears:

"So welcome to this, the public record of my foray into the world of mixed drinks. I'm mainly starting this blog to keep track of what I try and record thoughts about booze in general "

Which is amazing, because 3 months ago when i started chronicling my booze drinking i subtitled it "A foray into the art of the cocktail." and said about the same thing :P Now I look 4 years later in Cocktail Virgin Slut (nice rebranding someone) and it is as if I see my chronicle (and journey through many, many, tasty things) unfolding before me.

Edited by Sohoskiracer (log)

I highly recommend Cocktail Virgin Slut. It's written these days by Fred Yarm -- fredric on this site. It's full of good cocktails and helpful descriptions.

As for The Art of Choke, feel free to substitute ingredients more. No demerrera syrup? Just use simple syrup. Or honey syrup. Or whatever. A great many of us make liberal substitutions in order to make cocktails for which we don't have the exact ingredients specified.

I might also recommend The Search for Delicious from Beta Cocktails. Go way easy on the salt -- you can always add more. No Punt e Mes? Use regular sweet vermouth. (That said, Punt e Mes is great stuff.)

I'm also rather fond of Choke your Mother from Hungry Mother in Cambridge, MA. I'm not sure of the original recipe; the posted version is my adaptation. I'd be happy to post the authentic recipe if anyone has it.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Trying to get rid of a few nearly empty bottles to make room in the bar for the 2011 Antique Collection...made a Sidecar and sunk a bit of bitter grapefruit cordial to the bottom. It was rather basic, but the last couple sips were a pretty cool contrast.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Just mixed up a Sazerac (using whiskey instead of cognac--want to try the original version when I next buy a bottle of cognac). I like it a lot.

Sazeracs made with cognac are the best. Sort of expensive though...

Just made my first Mai Tai...oh my goodness where have these been all my life (I've never been a rum fan so i guess i kinda avoided it :P )

2 oz Appleton, 1 oz Lime, .5 Cointreau, .25 Simple, .25 Falernum

What, no orgeat?? That's not a Mai Tai. Close but not quite...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just made my first Mai Tai...oh my goodness where have these been all my life (I've never been a rum fan so i guess i kinda avoided it :P )

2 oz Appleton, 1 oz Lime, .5 Cointreau, .25 Simple, .25 Falernum

What, no orgeat?? That's not a Mai Tai. Close but not quite...

This is what happens when I drink Mai Tais and try to type at the same time...Freudian typo (I was wishing I had Falernum to add to the cocktail while i was posting :P). It was in fact a .25oz measure of Orgeat and not Falernum.

1.5 oz. cocoa aromatized formerly bourbon (hershey's brand, evan williams)

1 oz. la cigarrera manzanilla pasada

.25 oz. fernet branca

.25 oz. green chartreuse

3 g. non aromatic white sugar

i was remembering a drink i had long ago with both cocoa powder and green chartreuse as well as hot chocolate i've enjoy with fernet. i thought my cocoa aromatized formerly bourbon would be as enhancement. it was okay. i should have picked one or the other and definitely not both.

3:2:1 lion's tale!

1.5 oz. cocoa aromatized formerly bourbon (100 proof)

1 oz. wray & nephews berry hill allspice liqueur

.5 oz. lime juice

the aroma of the cocoa is a welcome addition to this classic. believe it or not the weight of the aroma and piquancy is elegant enough in the wray & nephews bottling to make a 3:2:1

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com