• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Accompaniment for mince pies

Amuse Bouche

Mince pies are pretty high fat anyway.

Ice cream would, I think, cool them too much and make some of the suet congeal.

I prefer brandied whipped cream.

I buy this stuff called Grandmother's, which I think if fairly low fat. Don't know that I've ever had actual real mincemeat that had suet and/or meat in it. The cheap quick dirty way to go with this is Haagen Dazs rum raisin.

Hard sauce (brandied) is the way to go............this is the way my family has been doing it for generations.

Of course, the brandy in the whipped cream and the brandy in the pie make for a merry dessert course if the portions are large enough! :biggrin:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Thanks all! I'm trying to decide between a recipe for an iced rum sauce I have and regular brandy butter. There's actually no suet in this mincemeat -- I made an all butter recipe. Yes, it's high in fat, but this is dessert on Christmas -- we're not going to worry!

Mincemeat is very easy to make, BTW. I had no idea.