• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

15 hours ago, Kerala said:

I can follow all the rules to make a paella or a pasta carbonara, and I think I make damn good versions of both of these, but they will never be "authentic."

Why will they never be?

On 2/26/2021 at 9:06 PM, liuzhou said:

I'm thinking of making carbonara for lunch. Do you think I should use green or red Sichuan peppercorns?

I don't see why you can't use either, if you call it Szechuan style carbonara. And don't try to pass it off as authentic Roman carbonara.

weinoo

weinoo

14 hours ago, Kerala said:

I can follow all the rules to make a paella or a pasta carbonara, and I think I make damn good versions of both of these, but they will never be "authentic."

Why will they never be?

On 2/26/2021 at 9:06 PM, liuzhou said:

I'm thinking of making carbonara for lunch. Do you think I should use green or red Sichuan peppercorns?

I don't see why you can't use either, if you call it Szechuan style carbonara. And don't try to pass it off as authentic Italian carbonara.