• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerala

Kerala

"or even Indian."

1 hour ago, Kerala said:

Well that's a bunch of contradictory sentiments just in this post. To sum up, don't expect authentic food when you go out, and any authenticity you get depends on the cook.

I'll contradict myself again.There's a restaurant called Tamatanga in Nottingham which consistently puts out great Indian food from different regions. The cooks are not from all the various regions represented, or even Indian. The Chettinad chicken curry is spot-on; it could really have been done by a home cook from Kerala, and it is consistent the many times I have tried it.

So maybe you can get a good marinara sauce in New York.

But as Elizabeth Davd says: "It is useless attempting to make a bouillabaisse away from the shores of the Mediterranean."

Kerala

Kerala

11 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Well that's a bunch of contradictory sentiments just in this post. To sum up, don't expect authentic food when you go out, and any authenticity you get depends on the cook.

I'll contradict myself again.There's a restaurant called Tamatanga in Nottingham which consistently puts out great Indian food from different regions. The cooks are not from all the various regions represented. The Chettinad chicken curry is spot-on; it could really have been done by a home cook from Kerala, and it is consistent the many times I have tried it.

So maybe you can get a good marinara sauce in New York.

But as Elizabeth Davd says: "It is useless attempting to make a bouillabaisse away from the shores of the Mediterranean."