• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Of course she's wrong about that too; it traditionally uses pecorino, a totally different cheese, and  one which was way more available in Lazio.

Now, had you read the recipe, before leaping to castigate us...

i almost pre-empted that argument, because i knew you were going to point it out. but since you insist, that's a more recent adaptation.

one of the first published recipes for carbonara used, of all things, gruyère.

"The appearance of the first carbonara recipe, similar but not identical to the one we know today, dates from August 1954, when it was published by food magazine La Cucina Italiana. The ingredients were: spaghetti, egg, pancetta, gruyere and garlic."

a huge number of recipes call for using parmesan or a blend, not solely pecorino.

jimb0

jimb0

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Of course she's wrong about that too; it traditionally uses pecorino, a totally different cheese, and  one which was way more available in Lazio.

Now, had you read the recipe, before leaping to castigate us...

i almost pre-empted that argument, because i knew you were going to point it out. but since you insist, that's a more recent adaptation.

one of the first published recipes for carbonara used, of all things, gruyère.

"The appearance of the first carbonara recipe, similar but not identical to the one we know today, dates from August 1954, when it was published by food magazine La Cucina Italiana. The ingredients were: spaghetti, egg, pancetta, gruyere and garlic."