• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In search of a few grocery items in Florence

ecr

Bottarga, capers packed in salt, and (I know it's not Italian but thought I'd give it a try) sherry vinegar. I'm looking for the Pantelleria capers, not the ones that you can buy in a jar in any grocery store in Italy.

Thanks in advance!

Come to the Central MArket in FLorence.. I can get Bottarga and several places as well as thee Capers from pantelleria packed in salt..

It is a Toystore for foodies..

Sherry vinegar may be tough..but not impossible..

I do most of my shopping at Conti.. they also have a web site

www.tuscanyflavours.com

not the bottarga though..

when are you coming.. I love to go shopping and my studio is right in front of the market.. my second home for over 19 years now! :rolleyes:

Come to the Central MArket in FLorence.. I can get Bottarga and several  places as well as thee Capers from pantelleria packed in salt..

It is a Toystore for foodies..

Sherry vinegar may be tough..but not impossible..

I do most of my shopping at Conti.. they also have a web site

www.tuscanyflavours.com

not the bottarga though..

when are you coming.. I love to go shopping and my studio is right in front of the market.. my second home for over 19 years now! :rolleyes:

Take her up on that - I loved the Central Market!

What's the name of the Olive Oil/Vinegar Wine shop that also makes sandwiches? Olio, Oleum, something? They seemed passionate about products - on a back street close to Santa Maria (? - not sure exactly where I was at that point - I have a card at home, if you can't fill inthe blank.)

Ah, I suspected the Central Market would be the place, but wanted to make sure. Thank you! Francesco, thanks for the links, but we live in Vietnam -- mail order is not an option (which is why we travel to Italy with an empty bag :biggrin: ). Divina, wish I'd posted sooner ... we leave in 12 hours, will be in Florence for a wk.

Have a blast.. Shop at Conti adn at BAroni on the bottom floor of the Central Market.. they are in front of each other.. let you do tastings.. take credit cards and vacuum pack!

FENNEL POLLEN from COnti.. called fiori di Finocchio.. is great.. new oil is out.. they have fabulous dried porcini, soft sundried tomatoes,and even cherry tomatoes.. balsamic vinegars

Baroni is the cheese place.. I adore the 4 year old Parmesan cheese by Bonat..

I have a dining guide online--- print it out!