• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Big Food Trend.

According to the Jan. edition of Bon Appetit, the "hot" Top 10 ingredients for 2005 are:

* black cod

Black cod is going to be huge (until it gets overfished and goes bye-bye like Chilean Sea Bass :sad: )

I'm lucky enough that I can sometimes get it live for $5.99/lb at the local Asian market....

Mmmm...miso black cod.... :wub:

I dont often go to Suburbia, but one thing i was shocked to see what the amount of thai restaurants that have sprung up everywhere.. Is saying that thai food will have 5-10 years in the lime light very obvious.

My impression from a recent trip to the St. Louis burbs, comparing what I saw this year vs. 2 years ago, is that Thai is very near its zenith & Vietnamese is not at all far behind.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Further dumbing down of pre-made, pre-packaged food. For example, the cookie blobs that you now have to take out of the package and place on a cookie sheet and bake will now come on their own cookie sheet (disposable, of course) and kid-friendly heat source, or else they'll be microwaveable.

So you can create lasting memories of happy nanoseconds spent with your kids before shuttling them off the soccer practice,  the piano lesson, and the weekly scheduled playdate.

How cynical :biggrin:

The next big thing will be professional eaters. The supper rich will hire gourmands to eat at only the finest restaurants and drinking the best wines. They will be required to describe in detail what they are eating and drinking whilst their principals in yet another effort to stay thin and beautiful eat spelt and greens and drink bottled water. :rolleyes:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I just wanted to comment that having just done the January digest of Bon Appetít magazine,  eGullet had been discussing a large majority of the editors' "What's Hot" and "What Next's" picks over the last year or more.  eGullet is far ahead of the curve when it comes to the Next Big Thing.  Quite an interesting phenomenon...

You DID a magazine? You're awesome, dude!

My guess for next big name-dropping trend that is only minutely mentioned here is sous vide.

That's right, a Boy Named Sous Vide.

Top food trends for 2005

Productscan Online says that “all things healthy” are trendy and also predicts the following top ten trends for 2005

*Whole grains

*Aluminum bottles - Hot in Japan and may have merit in the beer category

*Splenda

*Disposables - A new wave of disposables have blossomed from toilet cleaners to hearing aids

*Cultured beverages - The category of drinks with “friendly bacteria” are anticipated to grow

*Dissolving strips - Breath strips helped this trend along

*Motorcycle inspired merchandise - Biker mints and energy drinks may be included in the trend

*“Energizing” ingredients for beer - Think beer with caffeine and ginseng

*Allergy-free foods

Oh, yes, tortillas are very "in" right now! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The next big thing will be professional eaters. The supper rich will hire gourmands to eat at only the finest restaurants and drinking the best wines. They will be required to describe in detail what they are eating and drinking

and where exactly might I post my resume for this type of position? :rolleyes:

I am more than highly qualified ... and think I'd be definite asset to a company employing such individuals ... :laugh:

potential for growth? enormous! :hmmm:

will even relocate! are there any fringe benefits besides the food?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The next big thing will be professional eaters. The supper rich will hire gourmands to eat at only the finest restaurants and drinking the best wines. They will be required to describe in detail what they are eating and drinking

and where exactly might I post my resume for this type of position? :rolleyes:

I am more than highly qualified ... and think I'd be definite asset to a company employing such individuals ... :laugh:

potential for growth? enormous! :hmmm:

will even relocate! are there any fringe benefits besides the food?? :rolleyes:

I'm in...

:rolleyes:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I think we are about to go through a return to comfort food. Well, modern comfort food. Organic chicken and dumplings. Heirloom tomato soup. Macaroni and microcheese

I would most agree with this statement. The ebb and flow in our dietss, where we alternate between ultra-sensory deprivation (think 0% fat mayonnaise) and gluttony, is already swinging back to gluttony in some ways. Think Hardee's Monster Thickburger.

The idea of Artisanal food products mentioned earlier in the thread makes sense too, yet it's amazing that the popularity of it is growing in tandem with store-prepared meals. At a store near me, I've seen less and less $5 BBQ chickens and more prepared Tandoori Chicken, or Complete Indian Meals that need only to be warmed in the oven for a few minutes. Even if you don't consider yourself a foodie the taste palettes of the average person is expanding, and these in-store meals seem to recognize that.

Bear with me, I'm feeling creative. :laugh:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here:

-fish-eye soup

-wolf steaks

-strawberry omelettes

-dark chocolate-dipped mini chile peppers

-bananas flambe

....feeling...nauseaus.... :wacko:

the tall drink of water...

Having just watched Supersize Me for the first time, I am now thinking that McD's et al will soon have to replace the "heavy eaters" (at least once a week) and the "super heavy eaters" (three two four times a week) that make up about 60% and 20% of their customers, respectively, since those folks will be dead, suffering from major systems failure, or victims of late-onset diabetes in a few short years.

So I think one next major trend will somehow involve fast foods that can bring new customers in to McDs. Happy Meals do this pretty well, of course, but when it takes kids about 20 years to grow up but it only takes a handful of years to off a regular customer....

I know just the thing, but since I assume Ronald his own self reads eGullet, I'm not sharing. Just doing my part to bring down the Evil Empire.

edited because curly quotes persecute me -- CA

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Nutraceuticals.

hyper-enhanced food with added nutrients.

eg. HMS90/Immunocal whey extract.

Non GMO Crap

the public saying no to tasteless tomatoes and things that dont taste the way they used to.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.