• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Halles... The end

wizpers

Um... could you tell me where you picked up this piece of gossip. The people at the restaurant don't seem to know anything abou it.  :hmmm:

Please people, don't post this kind of bold statement unless you're sure it's something more than a rumour.

First: A fact turns out to be a rumour if people dont trust it... it's part of the game.

second: in a restaurant 'the people' won't confirm that kind of news...basic rule! :blink:

Third: This 'bold statement' is comming from inside... :cool:

and it's the whole building who's gonna change hands.

• 3 months later...
My guess there would be Les Chenets.

Not Weinstein & Gavinos? :raz:

Also, just heard Desjardins is closed. You can hear lobsters breathing heavy sighs from miles away.

It's been closed a couple of months by my reckoning. It was shuttered when I walked by in early February and the snow had obviously not been cleared for at least a couple of weeks.

When it first opened Les Halles was the greatest restaurant I had ever been to. The first time I was there was during the Summer of Expo '67. Its funny the things you remember. I have no idea of what we ate(except that it was delicious), but I do remember our waiter(or the somellier) remembering exactly what wine my brother in law had when he had been there for the first time several weeks previously.I had nothing to compare les Halles to, the closest being Chez Bardet. Andre Bardet's food was probably better, but the whole restaurant experience at Les Halles was extraordinary. I haven't been to les Halles for many years and had been told that they had slipped significantly. Its a shame to see such a landmark in Montreal's food history expiring.

Porkpa

• 3 months later...
Les Halles will no longer exist and a new restaurant with a brand new staff will open at the same location...

Hystory lost one again...The young folks wont even know about the legacy...

Ciao

How sad. I had a wonderful meal here about 10 years ago.