• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mud Truck NYC

jeffperez62

On a friends recomendation I stopped at the Mud Truck at Astor Place today. It was one of the better cups of Joe I've had in NYC. Just wondering if any one else has been there and what do you think?

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

I hate that truck and would never get anything from it because of how much their generator pollutes the air. I have to pass by that truck often to get the 6 train. So I'm sorry if their coffee is good, because I wish they'd go out of business. Really, that truck is a pet peeve of mine. :angry:

Michael aka "Pan"

So, Pan, you'd prefer that we all have to get coffee at the S***bucks at Astor Place? And I used to think you had your taste in your mouth. :sad:

Maybe if you stopped in at the MudSpot, and bought a cup to compare to S***bucks, you'd cut the truck a little slack.

So, Pan, you'd prefer that we all have to get coffee at the S***bucks at Astor Place?

No, obviously at the other Charbucks 10 ft away at the B&N. Freedom of choice at its best.

Though I can see how it would be annoying to have a truck spoiling the otherwise sweet, clean New York City air. Especially in August. :wacko:

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

So, Pan, you'd prefer that we all have to get coffee at the S***bucks at Astor Place? And I used to think you had your taste in your mouth. :sad:

Maybe if you stopped in at the MudSpot, and bought a cup to compare to S***bucks, you'd cut the truck a little slack.

When I was in college at Cooper Union's engineering school, the site of that S***bucks was a little outside plaza for the students' use. It was a safe haven for a smoke, and I remember a group of us practicing our bullwhip technique out there. They even had one of the eagle statues from the old Penn Station. Just not the same anymore. Of course then one could rent an apartment on Ave A for $100 a month; you just couldn't keep anything valuable there because it would be stolen. And McSorleys hadn't been discovered by Jersey kids and the Fillmore East was still open.

Ok, I return you to the present.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

So, Pan, you'd prefer that we all have to get coffee at the S***bucks at Astor Place?

[...]

Suzanne, I don't drink coffee and until now, had no knowledge of whether that truck made good, bad, or indifferent coffee. What I do know is that I get that strong gasoline smell every time I go to the 6 train in the morning. It smells like a truck running its motor continuously while idling. And yes, it's worse than the usual traffic pollution and people smoking upwind from me. Somehow, the taco truck on 96 St. manages to make everything without all that continuous pollution; why can't Mud Truck? I begrudge all of you for helping to keep them in business, and that's the last thing I plan on saying about them, except for a parting shot:

Suzanne, don't you have any decent coffee in your neighborhood? :raz::laugh:

Carry on. :angry::raz::hmmm: [where's the smirk emoticon?]

Michael aka "Pan"

No, obviously at the other Charbucks 10 ft away at the B&N. Freedom of choice at its best.

Though I can see how it would be annoying to have a truck spoiling the otherwise sweet, clean New York City air. Especially in August. :wacko:

Or the one 10 feet away in the other direction, on the corner of 3rd Ave.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Thats interesting...Next time I stop by there I'm going to inquire about the "pollution factor" and see what they have to say. Someone told me that they practice the "fair trade" thing and they some how deal directly with a grower which gives the grower a fairer price than S***bucks would. They seem like they follow the whole "peace, love, mother earth thing so polluting the air would definetly be against their philosophy.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

They probably just need a better generator perhaps with some sort of catalytic converter to reduce the odor. I haven't tried their drip coffee. The cappuccino I tried was noticeably better than Starbucks but not on Top Ten my list of great cappa's of all time. But it was one of the best espresso drinks I've ever had in Manhattan (which has generally crappy espresso nearly everywhere ).

[where's the smirk emoticon?]

That would be nearly any picture of me but I keep telling people it's just my unique form of smiling - it's not really a smirk :wink:

There is also a mud truck down here on wall street, usually outside 55 wall or the vicinity.

As far as the generator issue, feh... We live in nyc. We need to deal with pollution. If we wanted clean air, we would move to Montanna. :biggrin:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin