• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ottawa Topic

CharityCase

Well, I'm going to start an Ottawa thread here purely out of self-interest. I see very little discussion going on about our restaurants and food choices...probably because Toronto overshadows us.

Admittedly Ottawa hasn't had much new in the way of restaurants in a little while, but last week's Xpress mentioned a new Keralan restaurant that I'd like to try: Coconut Lagoon. Last week I went to the Vietnamese Kitchen, at Bank and Gladstone. It's not the best Pho hangout (I'm still dedicated to Pho bo Ga) but it's pretty close...I mean soup and noodles are sort of universal and difficult to screw up, no?

My last brunch at Stoneface Dolly's was a real standout to be sure. A Mexican Omelette with black olives, cilantro chutney and a generous squeeze of avocado puree on top. That little place has been consistently good in the brunch department but I've never tried it for lunch or dinner.

So Ottawa...Ottawites..whatever you are...what have you been eating and where?

Beckta gets a good review from the Globe & Mail's Ms. Kates in the most recent issue which can be accessed via their website.

The bar in the Chateau Laurier does not fare as well.

Good Xmas giggle. The bartender at the latter apparently was asked whether the mushy, thick fries that accompanied the burger were fresh or frozen. He replied frozen explaining that "fresh" potatoes were hard to come by in January and that they did not keep well...ok :rolleyes:

Have a merry Xmas everyone

Beckta gets a good review from the Globe & Mail's Ms. Kates in the most recent issue which can be accessed via their website.

The bar in the Chateau Laurier does not fare as well.

Good Xmas giggle.  The bartender at the latter apparently was asked whether the mushy, thick fries that accompanied the burger were fresh or frozen.  He replied frozen explaining that "fresh" potatoes were hard to come by in January and that they did not keep well...ok  :rolleyes:

Have a merry Xmas everyone

I posted this under the Restaurant 18 query, but I thought I'd also throw my two cents in here since I live in this town. My favourite restos here are Beckta Dining & Wine (613-238-7063), Juniper (613-728-0220), Signatures (613-236-2499), Domus (613-241-6007), Restaurant 18 (613-244-1188), Castlegarth (White Lake Village; 613-623-3472), Sweetgrass Bistro (613-562-3683), Urban Pear (613-569-9305) and El Meson (613-744-8484). Just across the river in Hull, I like Le Bacara (819-772-6210) followed by Le Tartuffe (819-776-6424).

Granted I tend to be swayed by a great wine list, but no vino an make up for poor food or service. All of these places, I think, do very well in all three respects.

Natalie MacLean

Wine Newsletter Writer

www.nataliemaclean.com

I've heard some good things about the recently opened Elgin St. Freehouse (Where Eurostar Café used to be). Apparently one of Social's former chefs opened it in the style of Rob Feenie's style of upscale fast food.

On New Year's Eve they were doing a 12-course tasting menu of everything on the menu that supposedly was quite good. Duck Confit Poutine among other things.

I'll try and get there soon and post a review.

Ok in order to stimulate some life in the Ottawa discussion. We (my wife and I) headed to the Elgin Street Freehouse on Friday Jan 7:

Dinner at Elgin Street Freehouse

296 Elgin : 613-233-5525

Decor is black and grey with odd movie theme. Small place ~40-50 seats banquet down one side and raised seating/bar down the other. At the far end a panel television plays old movies/music was a mix of trance type stuff with some more recognisable music (REM was in there). I’m not sure why there is a movie theme, there are posters of Audrey Hepburn and James Dean on the walls, and the bathrooms are marked by headshots of same. It was an odd choice for a place that is going for a young/hip feel. Also there were a few beer signs near the bar. The overall look was a little disjointed.

The Chef was Ron Alain formerly sous-chef at Social.

Dinner

Drinks: Lots of Choices, some I hadn’t seen before. Nice stemware. Settled on a Manhattan (offered with Canadian Whiskey? I opted for Jim Beam), my wife had a Red Bull, Vodka and soda.

For Appetizers we shared one of two platters offered, the tray offers:

-Gruyere “Grilled Cheese” with homemade ketchup

-Duck spring Rolls with two sauces

-Smoke Salmon pizza

-Chicken and Pork Lollipops

-Brie and toasts

All tasty, nice presentation, the brie was the letdown on the plate, spring rolls the highlight.

Mains:

I had a Coq au Vin Terrine, the chicken was stuffed with a blend of mushrooms. Moist, delectable and perfectly suited to the potatoes, beet squash on the side.

My wife had the 10 oz Strip Loin, with a dry rub, served with a side salad, mushrooms, and purple potatoes with lardons.

We had this with d’Arenberg “D’Arry’s Original” Shiraz/Grenache which was marked up 100% ($40 available at the LCBO for 19.95)

Dessert:

I had the “Cookies and Milk” a Vanilla creamy froth between crispy sweet wafers and a side of vanilla milk

My wife had the Lemon tart.

Service: As the restaurant is only 3 weeks old we allowed for a lot of missteps. Generally service was prompt, courteous and well intentioned. Things will have to be ironed out a bit. Some examples: The menu is brief in its descriptions of the dishes the steak was written up something like:

Steak | purple potatoes | lardons | sour cream | salad | mushrooms

Which is fine, I like having some mystery when ordering but when served give me a tour of the plate, techniques, and sources. For all of the plates we had to ask our server for a complete description.

The wine list is of an adequate size and obviously had some thought put into the selections, (I’m no wine guru, but usually spot a careless list) it was our server who had put it together. It is presented without structure other than red/white (Not by area, grape, price) so that “People wouldn’t be intimidated and be able to order off anywhere on the list”. I applaud the effort to rethinking the list format but as a compulsive list maker would like to see some structure, even if innovative.

Our server also missed a few as we quizzed him on the dishes, the meat on the pizza was not chicken, the mushrooms with the steak not chantrelles. Granted, we asked a lot of questions.

We ran into a small hiccup with the Lemon Tart, which said it would come with dark chocolate sauce. That was enough to sell it to my wife, but the chocolate sauce was news to both our server and the chef. The tart was comped.

Overall the food was impressive, the wine reasonably priced. On Elgin there are a lot of restaurants, few worth going to; we’ll be returning to the Elgin St. Freehouse.

Bill with a bottle of water, drinks, appetizers, mains, wine, desserts and coffees before tax and tip was $150.

I used to live in Ottawa about 8 years ago, and travel back occasionally on business.

One of my favourite places is Sante, at Rideau and Sussex. Some very interesting dishes (kind of a fusion of Asian and Carribean). Love the crab calaloo soup!

Al's Steakhouse and Friday's Roast Beef House on Elgin are also regular stops for me.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Hey Serly,

Thanks for the Freehouse review...I've been waiting for someone with a little more financial security than me to go and report back.

I think I'll wait for a speecial occasion and give that place a bit of time to breathe. I'm very interested in the menu though.

Hey Serly,

Thanks for the Freehouse review...I've been waiting for someone with a little more financial security than me to go and report back.

I think I'll wait for a speecial occasion and give that place a bit of time to breathe. I'm very interested in the menu though.

Well, I have had several reports all saying the same thing:

1. Food: Unique, interesting, limited selection but it changes frequently

2. Menu: Sparse on detail

3. Decor: Strange, but nice. A running TV featuring old shows?

4. Service: Lousy. Confused staff of three couldn't handle 12 tables. White wine was room temperature. Friendly, just not all that good :)

5. Overall: A once in a while sort of place. If they grow out of the service woes, a once in a shorter while type of place depending on your budget

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on another trip to Ottawa from Vancouver, though my timing could have been better with minus 25 degree weather in Ottawa, while it's 10 degrees back in Vancouver. So my dining options are limited by the radius from my hotel that my ears and face can withstand.

What happened to La Gondola on Bank St? I headed there last night, with fond memories of some pretty good Italian dining, but it's gone. Replaced with another pub (I don't think Ottawa needed another one of those in the downtown core, but I guess the demand is there). Ironically, after turning around at the (former) La Gondola I headed to the Mayflower pub, where I hoisted a few pints back in the 90's. Had some good Guiness and a pretty decent Steak and Mushroom pie.

Geez it's cold here!

edit: the new airport in Ottawa has nice Wi-Fi access!

Edited by Jeffy Boy (log)
I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I mostly eat Chinese food when I am at home in Ottawa. It isn't as good as Toronto, but it will do. I frequent the Oriental Palace on Prince of Wales for dim sum and dinner. If you go, try their pork siu mai and shrimp and chive dumplings. For dinner, we usually order off the chinese set menu lists.

If you like congee, head to Man's Kitchen or the one on Somerset near Lebreton, it has a green sign but the name escapes me at the moment. That one also makes pretty good wonton soup noodles. Try the one with beef tendon.

Vietnamese food go to either New Mei Fung, Mei Xim, or Pho Bo Ga. For Vietnamese sandwiches or take out dishes, I frequent one store. It is near Pho Bo Ga LA, in the building next to it that is set back from the street. You can get banh mi for $2 each and take out dishes for about $3 each. What they have changes every day, but I've gotten chicken curry, lemongrass chicken, fried fish, really good omelette, beef stew, bitter melon stew, and many desserts. Good homestyle cooking.

For El Salvadorean, I go to La Cabana on Merivale Road near Carling. Their yucca root with chicharron is very good. I also enjoy their pupusas. Service is a little slow, but they are connected to a latin grocery store that I like to wander in.

Sometimes I like to go to Algonquin College's Restaurant Interational for dinner or lunch. The students cook the meals and depending on the chef who is in charge, the food coming out of the kitchen can be very good. And at about $22 for a four course meal without tax, it's a good deal.

For burgers, I head to the Works or the Dicks Dairy Dip.

Carribean food I love going to Carribean Flavours on Somerset in Chinatown.

There is also a Persian restaurant downtown on Laurier that is great for dinner. They also serve lunch mostly to the business people on their lunch break.

For Indian food, I like the go to Ceylonta on Somerset, across from where the Somerset theatres used to be. Sometimes I'll head to Curries indian buffet if I want a little bit of a variety, but still pretty good quality.

For Thai food I like to go to Siam Bistro.

None of this is fancy food, but I guess it's a different take on Ottawa's cuisine.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what happened to the "Good Morning Saigon Restaurant" located on Rideau next door to the Theatre (the name escapes me)?

Anthony - aka "unreserved"

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rather fond of Pilos on Montreal Road for Greek food.

I also like many of the suggestions WYF made. I haven't tried all of them, but Man's Kitchen serves good, solid Cantonese-style home dishes. I like Mee Xim for Vietnamese as well; although for unabashed pho, Thu Do and Pho Bo Ga are the places to go.

I have also tried Elgin Street Freehouse and I really enjoyed it. I found it comparable to Beckta's without the hype and pretense. Don't get me wrong - Beckta is good. But sometimes you don't necessarily have to pay for the hype to get a good meal of the same genre.

Has anyone tried Sweetgrass Aboriginal Bistro? I am rather curious about it.

Edited by cwyc (log)

I am pleased to see this thread. Just today my client asked to to find two restaurants in Ottawa to accommodate 10 for a dinner.

They are staying at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier in May.

This is very corporate. So would Sante be the most logical?

She asked for the 2 most acclaimed restaurants. They are receptive to all cuisine.

Prefer fine wine and formal to semi-formal establishment.

Thanks

I am pleased to see this thread.  Just today my client asked to to find two restaurants in Ottawa to accommodate 10 for a dinner.

She asked for the 2 most acclaimed restaurants. They are receptive to all cuisine.

Thanks

I haven't tried Sante...probably because no one has recommended it thus far. Wilf's (in the Chateau) is quite a nice place to dine when an expense account is part of the equation. I'm tempted to suggest crossing over into Hull and trying some of the classic upscale restaurants there, but I think others could be more helpful in that regard.

My husband and I escape the USA as often as possible, especially during good driving weather, and head for any number of Canadian towns. We really like Ottawa but would like to get to know more of its secrets, particularly the food. We're especially fond of Asian, Latin or Mediterranean food, as well as the entire diner experience for breakfast. (Is it possible anywhere to get stupendous coffee with a stupendous breakfast?) If it's really good, we love Spanish (as in Spain) food. What are your suggestions for a 3-day weekend in Ottawa/Hull?

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

Lonnie Posted Today, 01:44 PM

We really like Ottawa but would like to get to know more of its secrets, particularly the food. We're especially fond of Asian, Latin or Mediterranean food, as well as the entire diner experience for breakfast. (Is it possible anywhere to get stupendous coffee with a stupendous breakfast?) If it's really good, we love Spanish (as in Spain) food. What are your suggestions for a 3-day weekend in Ottawa/Hull?

Lonnie

Check out WYF's suggestions for some good places to dine.

I would also recommend May's Garden Restaurant just west of Chinatown (still on the Somerset strip) for some truly good, northern Chinese-style cuisine. You will find lots of spicy, stewed dishes, Peking Duck, hot pot, dumplings, and a bunch of other stuff true to its roots in regional Chinese cooking.

Check out Joy restaurant which newly opened on Somerset. I have not been there yet, but hear it is good. Fusion Korean and Japanese-style cuisine.

As far as Spanish is concerned, I am not too familiar with any restaurants that specialize in that, but have heard a place called Don Alfonso (also in the downtown core) has Spanish cuisine.

karen m Posted Yesterday, 11:39 PM

I am pleased to see this thread. Just today my client asked to to find two restaurants in Ottawa to accommodate 10 for a dinner.

Thanks

Based on the criteria you outlined, I would highly recommend Beckta's. It is within walking distance of the Chateau Laurier or a five-minute cab ride. Beckta is one of the new "it" restaurants in Ottawa ever since it opened a year and a half ago. It serves fine wine, focuses on fine regional cuisine, is semi-formal and aims to please. Beckta

The other one I would recommend based on your description would be Eig8teen or Eighteen. I can't remember how they spell it. It is within five minute's walk of Chateau Laurier and is located in the historical Byward Market. Again, fine wines, fine regional cusine, posh/minimalist atmosphere. Restaurant Eig8teen

I would try to avoid Sante, been there twice and never a memorable meal. I would second Beckta and Eighteen. There is also Domus, but haven't been there since the summer. I heard that John Taylor (Domus) has shifted his interests to a new venture so I'd also love to know how the food is holding up.

My husband and I escape the USA as often as possible, especially during good driving weather, and head for any number of Canadian towns.  We really like Ottawa but would like to get to know more of its secrets, particularly the food.  We're especially fond of Asian, Latin or Mediterranean food, as well as the entire diner experience for breakfast.  (Is it possible anywhere to get stupendous coffee with a stupendous breakfast?) If it's really good, we love Spanish (as in Spain) food.  What are your suggestions for a 3-day weekend in Ottawa/Hull?

Lonnie

For solid Chinese food head to Palais Imperial on Dalhousie. It's more expensive than the places that my family usually heads to but it's our choice for special occasions. If you don't mind going out of the way a little bit and getting some help from the servers, New Hong Sing on Greenbank Road off of Hunt Club Road in the west end of Ottawa has a late night snack menu being served after 8:00 pm. One of a few chinese restaurants that do it in Ottawa and it's a new thing for them. I like it alot better than the other ones I go to. Think of it like Chinese tapas..:) Unfortunately the menu is only in chinese so you will have to request it and ask for help translating it. I've already mentioned to the chef to translate it for me since I can speak but but not read chinese. IF you'd like to get a bit adventureous, try their cold marinated pig stomach, fried tofu with "low siu" sauce, there's an excellent cold chicken dish, and if he has the ingredients on hand and has the time, ask for his chiu chow oyster omelette. He made is especially for my father the last time we went and it was excellent. I find their dishes less greasy than other chinese restaurants in town.

For Korean food, try Arum on the corner of Bank and Catherine. They don't have any parking but you should be able to park along the street somewhere near. This restaurant is attached to a grocery store. The food is pretty good there, more homestyle cuisine. Try dolsot bimbimbap, gamja tang, a tofu stew or if you by chance get an english speaking server, ask for recommendations.

For spanish food the only other two places I know of are El Mason I think on Montreal Road, and 222 Lyon for tapas. I've heard good things about the tapas restaurant, although I have no idea if it's as good as spanish food.

For simple mexican food in the Market, you can try out Ahora on Dalhousie. It's in the basement location next to Palais Imperial, cheap simple foods. The other mexican restaurant in the market is Azteca, although their prices will be much higher.

I've also heard of a chilean restaurant on Seneca and Sunnyside I believe called Cocina Latina, something along those lines that has good empanadas.

If you feel like Portuguese food or bbq, head to Casa do Churrasco on Dalhousie. Their chicken is great, and their ribs even better. Nice simple food in a homey environment.

For the diner experience for breakfast, the kitchsy place is Zak's diner in the market. If you want a good brunch, I hear the Manx Pub serves a good one, and Stoneface Dolly on Bronson has a very good one as well.

As for coffee, I'm not a big fan of the stuff but I hear that Bridgehead has great coffee. Someone told me to try the Peruvian coffee blend there.

None of these places save Azteca and Palais Imperial are fancy. They are just every day type of restaurants, but I hope if you head to any of them that you will enjoy.

I would try to avoid Sante, been there twice and never a memorable meal. I would second Beckta and Eighteen.  There is also Domus, but haven't been there since the summer. I heard that John Taylor (Domus) has shifted his interests to a new venture so I'd also love to know how the food is holding up.

I just read the newspaper this Wednesday and it seems that John Taylor has hooked up with the owners at Empire Grill to open a new bistro in the market. Maybe another resaurant to consider is Sweetgrass bistro.

karen m Posted Yesterday, 11:39 PM

Thanks

Based on the criteria you outlined, I would highly recommend Beckta's. It is within walking distance of the Chateau Laurier or a five-minute cab ride. Beckta is one of the new "it" restaurants in Ottawa ever since it opened a year and a half ago. It serves fine wine, focuses on fine regional cuisine, is semi-formal and aims to please. Beckta

The other one I would recommend based on your description would be Eig8teen or Eighteen. I can't remember how they spell it. It is within five minute's walk of Chateau Laurier and is located in the historical Byward Market. Again, fine wines, fine regional cusine, posh/minimalist atmosphere. Restaurant Eig8teen

Both Eighteen and Beckta came to mind as soon as I read your post. Eighteen seems to go through cooks at a much faster rate. They also have a martini night on Saturday which draws a 20ish crowd. Could be distracting, could be exactly what you're looking for. It is one of the best looking restaurants in town.

I'll also put a pitch in for Signatures on Laurier East, it's a cab ride away. It's more formal than 18 or Beckta and strictly French Cuisine. Service and food are both excellent. Signatures

Re:Spanish Food, Don Alfonso's (Corner of Gladstone and Bank st.) is an old standard, food is always top-notch although they stick to the classics. it reminds me of a place my parents would take me in the early 80's...it's very reasonable price-wise and the food is very good but not avant-garde or anything. Still, I have returned a few times for their fish specialties as well as their fried smelts.

I would steer away from Azteca in the market...overpriced and the weakest guacamole ever. Beckta and ei8teen are solid, even Daly's at The Westin hotel is decent for dinner (overpriced for brunch or lunch though).

• 2 weeks later...

:biggrin: I lived in Ottawa about 20 years ago.

There are a few restaurants that I remember as being good.

One of them is Chahaya Malaysia (cahaya is Malay for ray/light) and I am glad to see that it still exist after all these years! Surely that must be a testament as to the yummy-ness of the dishes? And from the reviews here the food is as good as it was and close to being authentic Malay/Malaysian.

Another is a North Indian restaurant ... I think the name was Shahzan. But a Google search returns nothing so perhaps it is no more.

There was another Malaysian restaurant, simply named Malaysia Restaurant :laugh: in East Ottawa owned by a Sarawakian couple but I can't find it on Google either.

And hey! I found Curry Village in Kingston. I used to live in Kingston too and I was their regular customer. :rolleyes:

Know what I really miss though? The fries from the vans. In winter. Oh so good! And the onion rings and the fish & chips. The simple food. :laugh:

Edited by kew (log)

Bumping in the hopes of getting a few more Ottawa East Indian recs, besides Ceylonta and Curry Village (which by the mere mention of "another in Kingston" makes me go :hmmm: ) I've tried a search, but somebody who is a mod on the India and Indian Cuisine boards keeps posting to the Ottawa threads, and, well, 27 pages! :laugh:

Good vegetarian options are a must -- this is for my poor husband, who has been suffering nobly through Basic Training and living on overcooked broccoli and grey hardboiled eggs for nearly three months. (Apparently the Canadian Forces, despite lip service, are still weak on vegetarian accommodation.) Our original plans for a Montreal meetup got canned, so now it's Easter in Ottawa.

Or, alternatively, can anybody comment on the following, which I got off the Ottawa Restaurant review site -- each one, however, has a negative review or two thrown in among the positive ones... Light of India on Bank; Pearl of India in Orleans (I'm finding it somewhat difficult to get round the concept of a decent Indian restaurant in Orleans, but am willing to be surprised); Taj Mahal on Bank?

Edited by CompassRose (log)