• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ottawa Topic

CharityCase

Once upon a time a long time ago, I lived in Ottawa and ate at Nate's a lot (didn't make much money in those days, couldn't afford the Chateau Laurier). Also hung out in the Byward Market and ate at the cheap Indian places at the back of the market (a couple of blocks off of Rideau). Are any or all of those places still there? Seems to me the last time I was in Ottawa, they had closed off Rideau St. beyond the Art Center and made it into some kind of mall.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

Once upon a time, a while back, I too lived in Ottawa and ate out a lot. I have John Taylor at Domus to thank for my first real foodie experience (the term used lightly and as a compliment) and I was never disappointed in a meal there - if things have changed in the last few years, I am very sorry to hear that. Once on that wagon, Bistro 1908 and Laurier Sur Montcalm in Hull (now Gatineau I believe) were also constant enjoyable dining locations.

As for "that place on Elgin" referring to Pancho Villa's I find it surprising the number of people that dislike this place. To be honest, I have only ordered two dishes there (but at least 50+ times) - the black bean soup and the mole enchiladas with chicken. They had the best darn mole I have tasted and if the chef is no longer the same one, it is a sad loss in mole land. This was a dish of serious cravings.

The francesca pasta dish at Mama Grazzi's was another for which I needed a fix. Cafe Shafali was my first Indian experience and I loved it, judging by the number of times I was back, they knew it too. Don't get me wrong this is not Vij's or Tabla but it was great, comforting, cooking made by competent hands. For Thai there is and at that time only was Coriander, but it worked.

I have been to Bekta and I can tell you it did not live up to the hype during my visit. I am interested in Black Cat since it appears Rene Rodriguez is the chef - he did some pretty mouth-watering dishes on Cook like a Chef - I am headed there on my next visit.

The thing with Ottawa and its food scene, is it pretty much works for the city if you take it at face value. I have definitely had better meals in Ottawa than in TO - a visit to Peter Pan this past weekend was case in point - I would've traded that poor excuse of pasta for a dish at Mama Grazzi's any day of the week! It isn't TO and it isn't Montreal but it has its own appeal - unfortunately it tends to live in the shadow of the other two because size matters.

Excellent point in that Ottawa has its own appeal and is different enough not to be able to compare it to Toronto or Ottawa.

I have spent a lot of time in Ottawa and eaten at many places, some good, some not so good. For instance, I have eaten at Bekta a few times and have always had an excellent meal. Maybe not the best I've ever had, but one of the best in Ottawa certainly. Then again, I have had some of the best shwarma anywhere in Ottawa. I've heard good things about Black Cat, has anyone been?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.