• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any fabulous places to eat in Yucatan?

Miss J

I've made a snap decision to head off to Yucatan next month, and I'm now in the contradictory position of trying to coax my body into bikini-ready shape whilst dreaming of Mexican seafood extravaganzas. :biggrin:

Can anyone recommend a few 'must-go' eateries around the Yucatan peninsula? I'll be starting off in Playa del Carmen, but travelling down to Belize so anything in that area would be brilliant.

Miss J

• 3 weeks later...

i seem to recall Rick Bayless did a bus trip down the southeast coast of MX, looking for recipes, food ideas, etc a few years ago. I'll look thru my old F&W magazines, or Gourmet and see what I find...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

That would be great! I'm leaving exactly a week from today, so the more suggestions I get the better.

I am SO excited. Both by the proximity of the trip and the possibility of getting some suggestions.  :biggrin:

Miss J

miss j, not to be a fuddy-duddy, but please make sure any seafood you eat is well-cooked.

i'm sure you've read all the appropriate pre-departure material, etc.  i have never been to the yucatan, but have heard shrimp horror-stories, so please be careful.  the seafood is coming out of very warm water, etc.  you shouldn't have any trouble if it's well-cooked--also douse it with lots of lime juice.

i have been sick in mexico before--it sux

you will have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!  please report.

Stellabella - thanks for the warning. I have to confess that I've been a little lax in preparing for 'safe eating in Mexico', so your note is very timely indeed.  :smile:

One thing that's confusing me: I'm getting some REALLY mixed messages on the state of food in the Yucatan peninsula. I've recently spoken to two people (one Australian, one British) who both found the food really disappointing. They both recommended I stick to the fruit and tortillas. However, a friend of my Dad's insists that the seafood on the Caribbean coast is amazing and not to be missed. And now Stellabella has warned me about seafood specifically. Oh I'm so confuuuuused...

I sincerely hope I'm not going to the one part of Mexico that doesn't have great food - that would TOO ironic. Besides, my friend's Mexican mum is going to teach me how to make tamales while I'm there, so I hope I'm getting a good recipe!

Miss J

if you get to join in the process of making tamales from scratch, your entire trip will be justified!!!!  lucky you!!

unfortunately, i think you have to be careful with seafood--use your best judgment.

i haven't been to the yucatan and have no idea to what extent cuisine varies regionally in mexico.  you will have the opportunity to eat lots of luscious fruits.  hand-patted tortillas, which are a sublime basic food in and of themselves.  hot chocolate.  avocado.  good soups.

looking forward to hearing about it.  i hope you can share the tamale experience with us.