• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kid Friendly in Bethesda?

littlechinagirl

This isn't so much a food question as it is an inquiry about a FUN, kid-friendly if not kid-focused, family restaurant. Casual and inexpensive, preferably near NIH.

Family is in town from Texas with 2 small children, one of whom is very sick and could use some cheer.

(is there a Chuck-E Cheese in the area?)

Thanks!

You didn't say how young the kids are, but there is a Dave & Busters approx 2 miles North of NIH, in the White Flint mall. If they are older then 8 or 10, they'd enjoy it. Within D&B is a restaurant serving food along the lines of TGI Friday's, Benegans, etc. For the kids there is a huge midway/arcade with dozens (hundred?) of arcade games, ske-ball, and similar games. Many games give tickets redeemable for prizes.

South of NIH is Bethesda, with more restaurants in a square mile then anyone needs. Rio Grand Cafe attracts a lot of families, but I don't know if I'd take someone from Texas there (I'm sure they already have there fill of Tex-Mex). I'm sure others here could give good family restaurant ideas.

There is a Chuck E. Cheese in Rockville, actually close to the mall mentioned above. If you want a plastic ball bin and animated figures, check there. Otherwise, D&B is good for kids slightly more mature.

There's a Toys R' Us on 355, just north of NIH and White Flint. You could go there, touch/test everything (Santa style) and then head to The Silver Diner (in the same shopping center), where they have a stash of crayons, I believe...

Dave and Busters is a great suggestion even for the kids younger than 8.  My 4 year old have a blast when we went this past summer.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if the child gets over stimulated easily, if too much noise or flashing lights is a problem, then D&B may not be the best choice. For example, imagine having to go to D&B when you have the flu.

While not the best food, Cafe Delux is very family friendly. Next door is Mama Lucia's which has good pizza and decent pastas. Around the corner from both is Barnes and Noble with a huge children's section. (On the corner of Woodmont and Bethesda Aves.) They have a coloring table, train table, etc. and is as kid friendly as it gets. Not too mention a ton of books. Grab some hot chocolate and a cookie from upstairs and you have a complete evening.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Another suggestion.....I think near Cafe Deluxe/Mamma Lucia's is a paint your own pottery place. Depending on how long your in the area, it could be fun for kids (and adults), without the light and noise of D&B. I don't know if you can take your creation home that day, or pick it up days/week later. I'd imagine they could mail it to you if you aren't local.

Another suggestion.....I think near Cafe Deluxe/Mamma Lucia's is a paint your own pottery place.  Depending on how long your in the area, it could be fun for kids (and adults), without the light and noise of D&B.  I don't know if you can take your creation home that day, or pick it up days/week later.  I'd imagine they could mail it to you if you aren't local.

Walked by this last night. It is a half-block down on the other side of the street.

I think that this is a great idea for kids.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Thanks again for the great suggestions- we ended up at D & B, and I think the sick child in question enjoyed herself very much (can't say much for the food, though).

I left early that day and didn't get half of these sugestions, and it took me 2 hours to get from Reston to Bethesda (leaving at 4) due to beltway traffic, so D & B was more of a flash decision. Next time we might try Cafe Deluxe or Mamma Lucia's (their stay has been prolonged, due to unfortunate complications).

Again- thanks!