• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream cheese: Uses, brands, tips

yellowmnm81

Do you utilize the whey? If so, how? I'm going to have quite a bit of it soon. Maybe for the liquid in my no-knead bread? Have you ever frozen it?

Definitely use the whey in bread - I always do when I have some hanging around from straining yogurt. I used it in bagels a while ago - gave them a very slight tang, which was delicious. Especially when spread with the strained yogurt :smile: .

Or you can just drink it - I like it absolutely fridge cold, but it's not so good at room temp.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Do you utilize the whey? If so, how? I'm going to have quite a bit of it soon. Maybe for the liquid in my no-knead bread? Have you ever frozen it?

I haven't played around with using leftover whey in baking yet, although I keep telling myself I will remember to do so, next time. :P I have consoled myself thus far by noting that it's probably pretty darned good for my septic system when it is poured down the kitchen sink, however.

Besides using whey in breads & stuff, I've heard that it provides a nice nutritional boost to pet food if you pour it over Fido's chow bowl, but my dog will run you out of the house if he gets hold of anything remotely lactic, so I haven't tried that one either, yet.

I'd love to hear if you could note a difference in any of your baking recipes if/when you do try, for sure!