• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago steakhouses

Fresser

Several have mentioned Gibsons in the  Good grub in Chicawgo topic as serving one of Chicago's finest steaks.  Any other nominees?

I ate at Gibsons with friends and found the food unremarkable considering what we paid for it.  They serve a bone-in ribeye (my favorite cut), but the wet-aged steak lacked the musky, pungent flavor that I've found in other ribeyes.  Honestly, it was pretty bland.

Also, my steak was cooked closer to medium-well than medium; a lady at an adjacent table who ordered her steak medium-rare also was served a medium-well steak.  True, she could have sent it back, but...

Frankly, I find Gibsons to be a "beautiful people" hangout, given its proximity to the Rush Street area.   :raz:

What others do fellow carnivores enjoy?  Gene & Georgetti has an atmosphere evocative of Peter Lugers, and there are some good smaller steakhouses.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

• 3 months later...

Please add the following places to your Chicago meat-eatin':

Smith & Wollensky

318 N State

(312) 670-9900

and my personal favorite...

Ruth's Chris Steak House

431 N Dearborn

(312) 321-2725

Yeah, I know, it has locations in different cities, but hopefully the chain aspect is not discouraging to you. It shouldn't be. If you want me this place is wonderful. Their lobster bisque is a wonderful starter.

I haven't really been into the steakhouse thing in Chicago or elsewhere for that matter.... But has anyone checked out Keefer's? It's run by John Hogan, formerly of Savarin and Park Avenue Café. Great guy, great chef- I was kinda surprised he went the steakhouse route. Does anyone know what kind of spin he might be giving it?

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

If you are familiar with John Hogan and Savarin, then I could see you having the expectation that Keefer's would have a French spin.

It is a steakhouse in the truest sense, with the feel of a bistro. It is a lovely space, and the meal that I enjoyed made me smile.

I do not consider myself to be a restaurant reviewer, so the only other thing that I will tell you is to call ahead. When I went, reservations were two days out.

Please read the following review:

Keefer's

Yeah, I know, it has locations in different cities, but hopefully the chain aspect is not discouraging to you.

Actually BOTH Smith & Wollensky AND Ruth's Chris are technically chains, Aurora. Ruth's Chris is huge compared to S&W, which started in New York, I think, and only has about 7 or 8 locations (whereas Ruth's Chris supposedly has more than 80).

Apparently Ruth Fertel, of Ruth's Chris, just died a few months ago.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 4 weeks later...
I recall having a super piece of meat at Gene and Georgetti's some years ago.  I also had a great steak there later that evening. :biggrin:

MY, MY, MY! I didn't realize you could order off the menu there. What kind of place are they running these days?

Back on topic--Keefer's is a newcomer that is well worth investigation. :laugh:

Does anyone have an opinion about the Chicago Palm? I've only been to the West Hollywood and Downtown LA locations (manifestly different). I don't think I've ever had a better New York strip. Is that the same thing that's marketed as a Kansas City steak in Chicago?

I've just started making regular business trips to Chicago and tried Gibson's my first time out. Granted, I don't know what see and be seen looks like on the plains, but it didn't strike me as that sort of place (as a previous poster suggested). No doubt this reveals the tourist in me but I liked the room a lot (conformed to expectations) and while I thought the steak was good but not great, I was actually impressed by how close to the medium rare mark I thought they got (usually I have to order rare to get what I'm looking for).

Incidentally this is my first post and first visit to this board. I'm a long-time chowhound but how did I overlook egullet?

Does anyone have an opinion about the Chicago Palm? I've only been to the West Hollywood and Downtown LA locations (manifestly different).  I don't think I've ever had a better New York strip. Is that the same thing that's marketed as a Kansas City steak in Chicago?

I've just started making regular business trips to Chicago and tried Gibson's my first time out.  Granted, I don't know what see and be seen looks like on the plains, but it didn't strike me as that sort of place (as a previous poster suggested).  No doubt this reveals the tourist in me but I liked the room a lot (conformed to expectations) and while I thought the steak was good but not great, I was actually impressed by how close to the medium rare mark I thought they got (usually I have to order rare to get what I'm looking for).

Incidentally this is my first post and first visit to this board. I'm a long-time chowhound but how did I overlook egullet?

Welcome, and thank you for placing your first post in the Heartland.

Quick note: be on the lookout for members who make a point of attacking newcomers. Hold your ground. They'll get over it.

I cannot comment on the Palm.

As for Gibsons, it is see and be seen in spite of the low lighting. It is located in a very fashionable area of town. It's good, but you will find better if you venture south to Hubbard Street and near vicinity. OR, go to Gene and Georgetti's (Corner of Illinois and Franklin, beneath the L tracks). Joking about meat aside, the steaks are wonderful. :biggrin:

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have an opinion about the Chicago Palm? I've only been to the West Hollywood and Downtown LA locations (manifestly different). I don't think I've ever had a better New York strip. Is that the same thing that's marketed as a Kansas City steak in Chicago?

I'm not a Palm fan, FWIW.

I'm under the belief that a Kansas City stip is a New York Stip with bone in.

Both chowhound and eG have their pros/cons.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Kansas City claims to have "invented" the KC Strip which, at least according to them, is a NY Strip without the bone. But, I have heard debated both ways. The bottom line is that it is the same cut of beef that can be served with or without the bone.

I very much enjoyed my trip to Morton's, but I haven't been to the other places for comparison. For the $$$$, I much prefer to get a big ol' NY strip steak from Heartland Meats at the farmers market and grill it at home. When I went to Morton's it was on a gift certificate from a friend whose dog barfed on my sofa.

Our firm holiday party was at Ruth Chris. I had a NY Strip. It was cooked perfectly but it just did not have that good ole grilled taste. Others who ordered their NY strips medium (and more) found that their steaks were butterflied-how strange. Had a steak down in Southern Illinois at some road house off the highway-it was delicious-that great char taste for a quarter of the price. Am I wrong for wanting a char taste at a top steak house?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I find it interesting that, until iguana chipped in, nobody had mentioned Morton's. Isn't it the case that until about 10 years ago, Morton's was considered by much of the Chicago food community to be THE quintissential Chicago steakhouse, ergo the best steakhouse in the world?

Now it doesn't seem to attract anywhere near as much interest anymore. Is it because they started to franchise ala Ruth's Chris and S&W?

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I would definitely second Morton's as Chicago's best, and unlike many of the others, it is an actual Chicago restaurant, nay, institution. I've been to the Sullivan's in Naperville and am not a big fan, much prefer Gene and Georgetti's, Ruth's Chris, or S&W (Morton's is a notch above these). Haven't been to Chicago's Palm in many years, but used to enjoy it very much.

I'm not a Morton's fan, we found the meat to be very bland. Gene & Georgetti's is a scene...If you're not downstairs (in the seedy, sawdust on the floor, bar area)--you're nobody. Harry Caray's actually does a fine steak. Our absolute favorite steak is at Mike Ditka's (Iron Mike's Grille). Plus, you can't go wrong with other entrees there. And don't think that because it's a sports-themed place that the food is mediocre. It is very well decorated, actually a small restaurant, service has always been great.

Gene & Georgettis is as close to the true old school steakhouse as you can get in Chicago. Giant portions, rude waiters ( unless you're a regular ) king size cocktails, etc...

As the chains go, my vote goes for Ruths Chris, can't beat the soaked in butter approach. I like the Petite Filet for an appetizer and the Bone in Ribeye for my entree ( with creamed spinach and fries, of course.)

The Gibsons near O'Hare has none of the scene of the Rush St. location, but great food and much more personal service ( lots less crowded, especially on weekdays )

Sullivans is essentially a Lonestar Steakhouse with the lights turned down and tablecloths ( same company )

Funny fact: the Naperville Sullivans is one of the busiest Sullivans locations in the country, The Chicago Sullivans is one of the poorest performing ( number wise )

TC

cheftedcizma.com

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

Might I would suggest trying the kobe beef at Yoshi's Cafe. Please note that Yoshi's is not a steak house. It is a fusion of Japanese / French cuisine. The atmosphere is nothing like any of the Chicago's true steak house, but if you like steak, give this place a try. AFAIK, this is one of the few places that serves a large cut of the expensive beef.

The kobe beef filet is just heavenly. As long as you let the chef cook it the way it should be, medium rare, it just melts in your mouth. It is soft and creamy and it is almost incomparable to midwest beef. The plate comes with a condiment of freshly grated wasabi (not the paste, the actual root) and a red wine sauce. The frites are unremarkable, but try the wasabi mayonnaise (order separately).

Like most steak joints, Yoshi's serves wonderful martini's. Might I suggest the wasabi stuffed olives as a garnish to your martini beverage. Just like blue cheese stuffed olives, you can only find this in the midwest/heartland.

Yoshi's Cafe

3257 N. Halsted St.  

773-248-6160

I don't know if the steaks are good or not at Gibson's because it's such an incredible zoo and the service is, in my experience, so perfunctory that I can't wait to get out of there. The jam scene you hve to fight through (almost literally!) at the front door, where the stairs, the bar entrance, the coat check/cigar counter area and hostess stand all converge must be the most unpleasant restaurant area I have ever encountered, anywhere in the U.S. Stroll down to Ontario, take a right and go to Chicago Chop House, with it's professional, friendly service and excellent wine list made for a wonderful dinner, for me, last Wednesday. Then go back to Gibson's, late, for a great drink in their bar after the hoard has departed. Or go to Gene and Georgetti's, where I've had my best Chicago steakhouse dinners.

The jam scene you have to fight through (almost literally!) at the front door, where the stairs, the bar entrance, the coat check/cigar counter area and hostess stand all converge must be the most unpleasant restaurant area I have ever encountered, anywhere in the U.S.

The bar at Gibson's is possibly the biggest pick-up joint in the area--that's why it's always so crowded.

I would definitely second Morton's as Chicago's best, and unlike many of the others, it is an actual Chicago restaurant, nay, institution.

I'll third Morton's. It is pricey, but I have never left feeling I overpaid. The service was attentive but not overbearing, my steak was one of the best I've ever had. In fact, the best steak I've ever eaten (prepared by someone other than me) was at the Morton's in New Orleans. I've eaten at Morton's in Chicago, Cleveland and New Orleans and while I'm not a fan of the 'chains' I think they do a good job of adapting to the region and becoming a 'local' restaurant to the city. I've never been a fan of Ruth's Chris; their steaks are good, but if I'm going to spend the money to go there, I'll spend the extra $5 and just go to Morton's.