• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Week, January 10th-16th, 2005

Kanishka

That's surprising that the Oval Room was out of touch with OT. My experience has been that the restaurant is aware in real time, when you book a table. Not to mention you get a confirmation number and an email reminder the day prior to your reservation. Hmmm. I have been using them whenever I can to get my points. No problems thus far.

Gastro, this may be the root of the OT problem (based on our own experience):

OpenTable client-end programs installed at the terminals at every participating restaurant are programmed to accommodate a finite number of parties of finite size, i.e. X no. of parties of 5, X no. of deuces and so on. So once they are booked, the restaurant system will show no more available slots.

However, it happens often that people who make reservations override the system and force more bookings into that list because they think they can swing it, or because they don't know what they are doing, or because they want to accommodate a regular customer, or for any other given reason. So now the system shows more entries that it has been originally programmed to contain. THEN, in the event of any cancellations (and usually there are at least a few), the system will show available slots, when the restaurant is in fact fully booked numbers-wise, because the canceled bookings that should not have been there in the first place are now empty. These empty slots are released to the OpenTable server and therefore to any online bookings. This was probably why you managed to snag a res.

To counter that, we have been manually blocking any cancellations we receive so that no open slots show up in OpenTable and no additional online bookings can be made. The fact that the restaurant promised to honor your res despite being fully booked means that they were probably not immediately on top of blocking slots that become available due to cancellations. Hopefully someone there is doing it right now.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Nadya,

Based on you explanation, do you recommend that we call a restaurant to confirm each OT reservation and/or bring in a print out of the confirmation # from OT??

Thanks.

I would recommend always making your reservations by calling the restaurant (not during service hours, of course.) If you had to do it via OpenTable, calling to confirm is a great idea. They do get lost occasionally - not very often at all, but it's been known to happen.

Just please don't call during dinner or lunch service. Call around 3 or 4 pm.

Resident Twizzlebum

I also went to Vidalia last night and had a bit of a different experience.

Started with a Gibson, which was served with absolutely huge cocktail onions. This was the highlight of the night--those onions were delicious.

Appetizer was the "Shady Lane Salad". It was nothing special--tasted like a normal chef salad, the kind I make at home. I wasn't impressed.

Next I had the winter fluke, which was served with a crayfish sauce accented with andouille sausage. I thought there was a serious disconnect between the fish and the sauce. Both tasted great individually, but they just didn't meld well. I think the fluke would have been better served with greens and some citrus.

Dessert was the Lemon Chess Tart, which was very good. But I'm not big on desserts anyway...

Service was okay, not great. The waiter was kind of slow and full of attitude. He recommended a wine to one of my companions that turned out to be some astronomical price--I think $15 a glass. After recommending, he actually brought it over, gave my companion a taste, and pushed him hard. Quite an upsell.

Overall, I don't think I want to go back to Vidalia. It was a nice experience for rest. week, but I can think of better fine dining spots in the city.

K

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Ristorante Tosca Wednesday night. It was our first visit and made us want to return. Our server carefully explained the RW menu rules. Most of the regular menu was available except for several items with surcharges which he pointed out. The food was outstanding. For appetizers, we had the goat cheese torte (?) and the prosciutto w/fresh mozzarella - delicious. My husband had linguine w/shellfish sauce and I had roasted branzino. They made us feel we were in Italy - what more can I say! We ended with the chocolate extravaganza (a tad dry) and mixed gelati and Illy cafe. Nice wines by the glass. Great experience.

We did Tosca Friday nite with another couple. First visit for all of us. We used to be frequenters of Galileo, so it was nice to see several familiar faces working there--and made it much more welcoming. Food was wonderful, food service almost perfect (server was friendly, not too stiff but also not too chummy). But... being Fri of RW, they were definitely rushing people along and trying to turn tables as fast as possible. Our food came out in record time, only when we were finished and trying to linger a bit, did we relax, but felt guilty somehow taking the table any longer.

Amuse arrived (not sure everyone got this...didn't notice other tables with it...maybe we got due to recognition/galileo) beautiful single bay scallop, prepared with some bits of tomato, shallots, and greens. Delicious and a wonderful treat/surprise!

Our selections included the mixed green salad, radicchio/pear salad, and scapinasch. The salads looked lovely and properly dressed. My scapinasch was fabulous, melt in the mouth, yet a touch dry on the plate. Just wish it had been a little moister outside, or with just a tad of butter brushed on top. Entrees were venison with cabbage (outstanding flavor, but a bit skimpy on the amount of meat), grilled tuna -- in addition to the regular menu several fish specials were offered: tuna, salmon, fresh sardines(yum! almost ordered that!) and one other fish-I forget-, all prepared very simply: grilled and served on bed on sauteed escarole -- the tuna was a very generous portion, and incredibly fresh tasting). Third entree was spaghetti with seafood in a spicy red sauce: not what I would have ordered :wacko: , and my friend was justly disappointed. My entree: the roasted branzino with balsamic vinegar sabayon, spinach,pinenuts & raisins. Run now and order this! Absolutely one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth! The fish roasted perfectly, still moist and tender, yet the skin crispy, gorgeous, perfect counterpoint. The sabayon was what tied it all together... incredible! (btw...Table next door ordered the heads-on gulf shrimp... looked fabulous!)

Desserts were tiramisu and chocolate cakes... both ho-hum. I make better, by far.

The only bad thing about eveniing was lack of wine service/help. I asked twice upon arrival (the second time after everyone else's hard liquor cocktails arrived and I still sat drinkless and thirsty!) for the sommelier --or somebody! I specifically wanted to try somethiing Italian and new for me. After our amuse arrived, I finally said 'just bring me a glass of Prosecco, but then send someone over for dinner recommendations'. First course arrived and waiter tried to soothe me by saying he'd take care of me, with a nice half bottle of something. When it arrived, it was fine, (Duckhorn SauvBl)but not Italian. I have Duckhorn at home, so was disappointed at not being able to try something new. As it was being poured, my friend mentioned he wanted to "taste" it. The next thing I know, the waiter brings another glass and fills it up for my friend, leaving me with no second glass to get me through the rest of the meal. Of course, had we actually had someone at the table talking wine with us, it was my intention to order a full bottle that would have gotten me (and any "tasters") by for the evening.

Upon arrival of my entree, I was high and dry... and twice had to signal the waiter that I needed wine! An additional single glass arrived halfway though...

Sorry to go on whining... it just really ticked me off as I ended up buying 4 glasses singley,not a full bottle, and spoiled an otherwise tasty evening. Did have a limoncello(housemade) for afterdinner. Nice, very smooth, although I like mine not so sweet, with a little more tart/pucker.

I will go back to Tosca for the food, and hopefully less rushed service. But I will probably be bitchy and make a big deal in the beginning about how we expect better wine service... something I hate to do/start out with, as it then labels us as jerks for the rest of the evening.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

But... being Fri of RW, they were definitely rushing people along and trying to turn tables as fast as possible. 

We had the similar rush at DC Coast last night, Even ordering an off RW menu appetizer we were out in 1 hour and 15 minutes. The strange thing was that they did a good job of it because I didn't notice until we were finishing our dessert that the service was any faster than normal. Except for when the waiter tried to clear my wifes dish when she still had two scallops on it.

Appetizers were the two soups (squash and lobster bisque - both big servings and very good) and entress were also good (Salmon and Scallops, although my wife's scallop preparation was not what was listed in the menu).

Overall an OK RW experience, but the dessert choices were severely lacking. There were three choices, all not on the regular dessert menu - standard issue creme brulee (even down to the raspberry on top) a sliver of chocolate "souffle" cake and a bannanas foster something or other. A little disappointing after having decent choices for appetizer from the regular menu (three soups and three salads) and anything off the regular dinner menu (with two supplements). The check brags that the pastry chef won the 2004 RAMMY, but he must not have been part of the RW discussion.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

A quickie report on Mendocino Grill for dinner last night. We arrived literally one minute before they stop seating and I really appreciated that they didn't give us a hard time. Almost all menu items were available for RW selections with a couple of upcharges on both appetizer and entree list.

Olive fritters with goat cheese stuffing and boar sausage for appetizers. Fritters were an interesting dish; I wouldn't order it again but I am glad I had it and satisfied my curiosity. The combination of green olive, stuffing and lemony aioli sauce was a bit too salty for my taste; quite tasty but just a tad too much salt. I don't know if there's a way to avoid that based on the ingredients involved, perhaps that's how it's supposed to taste. Or maybe I need to smoke more before getting this, they say it makes you taste less salt. The boar sausage, on the other hand, was outstanding, gamy, rich and glorious, and the aroma had me almost in tears.

Bouillabaisse-type fish stew (with a wild assortment of seafood ingredients from which scallops were curiously but most conveniently missing as one of us was allergic to them) and gnocchi with sundried tomatoes and squash for entrees. Both were the sort of great, flavorful, down-home good, happy-to-pay-regular-price, rich dishes that give you comfort on a chilly night, make you wipe the plate with bread, and believe that life generally is quite wonderful.

Coffee flan and banana upside-down cake for dessert. Too full to be giddy with delight, but certainly quite serviceable dishes.

Real winner: half-price wine program on Sunday nights that even a wine ignoramus like myself can appreciate. And now that my stupid rink canceled the Sunday night session, I am very ready to make Mendocino my Sunday night hangout. Finally, a worthy alternative to two hours of skating.

A great meal with very generous RW selections, wonderful service (friendly and knowledgeable) and tasty wine. Everybody wins.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Hi TenPenh Saturday night, finally completing the Tunks trilogy (the first visit to each was also during RW). And I must say, I think I saved the best for last.

The meal was outstanding. I had the tamarind glazed chilean seabass. This is an entree I must go back for. The Asian Surf and Turf also got rave reviews. I'm not that big of a kimchee fan, so I'm not sure I'd ever get it myself, but the ribeye from it that I sampled was heavenly.

This was the fifth place I've been to for Restaurant Week in the last year and it was clear this ranks number one.

We ate at DC Coast Friday evening and experienced much the same as has already been reported... quite good food, but nothing extraordinary.

I must comment on our table, however. We were seated upstairs at the first inside table, where we had THE best view of the open kitchen. Only potential drawback is that the table is next to the wait station, but we didn't find this distracting.

If you're interested in watching the kitchen staff at work, this is the table to request!

As Wine Director and Sommelier at Ristorante Tosca I would like to take a moment to respond to the comments of simdelish. First of all we pride ourselves on our wine program and take particular pride in turning people on to Italian wine. I would have been delighted to have assisted you in selecting an Italian wine to accompany your meal but it seems that there must have been some miscommunication. I actually remember your table and walked by it several times over the course of the evening but was under the impression that you were not interested in wine service beyond the half bottle that was already on your table. When I asked the server about this he confirmed that he thought your wine needs had been fully taken care of and that you were enjoying yourselves. It's obvious now that this was not the case and for that I must apologize, as the custodian of the wine program the blame falls squarely on my shoulders. I take my position and the needs of my customers very seriously, and I would be happy to assist simdelish, or anyone else for that matter, in selecting the perfect Italian wine to match Cesare's fabulous cuisine.

Sommelier

Ristorante Tosca

Washington, DC

• 4 months later...

With our own restaurant week returning the first week in August, I was surprised to read in today's NYT Dining Out section that restaurants actually pay $2,500 to be included and that they are selected by a panel.

It always seemed to me like DC restaurants were "happy" to participate but secretly curse it under their breath. Do DC restaurants have to pay and/or be selected? Or is it more of a free for all?

I guess it's great publicity even if your staff is miserable.

:raz:

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

• 5 months later...

When do they start posting the list of restaurants for 2006?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.