• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Week, January 10th-16th, 2005

Kanishka

We're going to Vidalia tonight and Ceiba on Satuday.

I tried to switch my reservation for Vidalia to Thursday, but they said that they are completely booked for the rest of the week and they are not taking any more reservations.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

We have reservations at DC Coast on Saturday and I'll probably swing by Colvin Run Tavern for lunch sometime this week (it's the only decent lunch option in driving distance from work).

Bill Russell

I know this isn't the appropriate place to ask this question, but does it strke anyone else as odd that the OpenTable main page lists Ceiba, TenPehn and DC Coast (all run by the same company) as the first three of their "weekly top ten?" I don't believe in coincidences. Does Tunks own an interest in OpenTable?

I know this isn't the appropriate place to ask this question, but does it strke anyone else as odd that the OpenTable main page lists Ceiba, TenPehn and DC Coast (all run by the same company) as the first three of their "weekly top ten?"  I don't believe in coincidences.  Does Tunks own an interest in OpenTable?

They are all pretty big places, and they have a pretty good reputation of doing Restaurant Week right, so it doesn't surprise me too much to see that, especially this week.

But you're right 3 for 3 is a pretty good average.

Bill Russell

Corduroy tomorrow night (someone cancelled right before I called today!) and TenPenh on Saturday.

And after some research, I'm sad to report it looks like no one will be extending their specials a second week, as has been custom. There's some big Texas oil money coming through here, meaning a good chance for these places to vacuum the wallets!

Had a good lunch at Mendocino today. Parsnip soup, pulled pork sandwich and upside-down banana cake. You can also add a glass of wine to the RW menu for $5, with three red and three white selections. Georgetown is weird, though. On the walk up M St. an angry skell stopped rooting in a trash can just long enough to shake his fist and yell something unintelligible at me. By the time I got out, he'd gone off shift and handed over to an even uglier mutt -- who asked me for a cigar and offered some unsolicited advice about "fancy bitches." I suggested he stick around until next week, when there should be no shortage of either.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Downtowners - pick tomorrow's lunch destination for me.

I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon at Connecticut and K and thought I would go for a RW lunch within a few blocks. My scan of the places on Open Table that look close came up with Equinox (dinner only so that's out), Taberna del Alabardero (which I've always wanted to try but doesn't give their RW menu or any other menu on their website) and Restaurant Kolumbia (which I've heard next to nothing about, but their RW options sound OK).

Should I just suck it up and go to TdelA, has anybody been to Kolumbia or is there a wild card I am missing?

Bill Russell

Downtowners - pick tomorrow's lunch destination for me.

I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon at Connecticut and K and thought I would go for a RW lunch within a few blocks.  My scan of the places on Open Table that look close came up with Equinox (dinner only so that's out), Taberna del Alabardero (which I've always wanted to try but doesn't give their RW menu or any other menu on their website) and Restaurant Kolumbia (which I've heard next to nothing about, but their RW options sound OK).

Should I just suck it up and go to TdelA, has anybody been to Kolumbia or is there a wild card I am missing?

Vidalia will likely be booked solid but I would suggest that you come in and sit at the bar. I don't think anyone will be smoking during lunchtime, so you should be able to enjoy your food.

TdelA had all kinds of reviews. I would stay away from Kolumbia just like morela.

Oh, I know! Kaz Sushi!!

Resident Twizzlebum

Yeah, Kinkead's or Vidalia. David Greggory is right by Vidalia, too, followed by Firefly and then Galileo in a vaguely colinear arrangement (Of course by the time you get to Galileo you'd have passed by six or seven other fine options!). Corduroy wouldn't be that far, either.

Nadya: Yeah, good call on Kaz, too. You'll be on my turf, though! :wink:

I can vouch highly for Kinkead's RW lunch, but you'll need reservations I'd imagine.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Has anyone seen the dinner RW menus at Colvin Run and/or Vidalia? To what extent are their normal menu items available for RW. I've had mixed results during RW (e.g., 1789 - almost everyting available; Smith & Wollensky's - very limited options). Of course, I understand a restaurant's desire to limit their choices, but was curious about the options this week at Colvin Run and Vidalia.

David

Has anyone seen the dinner RW menus at Colvin Run and/or Vidalia? To what extent are their normal menu items available for RW. I've had mixed results during RW (e.g., 1789 - almost everyting available; Smith & Wollensky's - very limited options). Of course, I understand a restaurant's desire to limit their choices, but was curious about the options this week at Colvin Run and Vidalia.

Haven't seen this week at Colvin Run, but I've been the last two RWs and they normally offer three or four options for each course with maybe one or two optional supplements. It's been very good both times I've gone for lunch.

Bill Russell

Just back from a great meal at Corduroy. They certainly seemed busier then I've seen them (every table filled) so I'm guessing RW works well for them. They definitely do it right -- offer the entire menu with a couple of surcharges for higher priced dishes. It was the first time my friends had been to Corduroy or out for RW. They couldn't figure out why RW happens but were more then happy to just keep ordering. We all got dishes that have been raved about in the Corduory thread but the highlight was one guy's reaction to the pineapple sorbet. He kept saying how unbelievable it was and that it put him on the beach in Hawaii. You can't argue with that!

Bilrus -- Corduroy, Tosca, Cafe 15 would all make great lunch choices in that general area.

Just got back from Vidalia. Overall, we had a great experience. I had always read that the biggest complaint that diners have with Vidalia is the service. Well, our server had 3 deuces and 2 four tops and the service was flawless!

As for the menu, this is what they offered:

Apps:

Cobbtown Chopped Salad

Field Greens

Five Onion Soup add $4

Tuna Tartare add $5

Sweet Potato Soup

Ragout of Snails add $5

Shady Lane Salad

Grillades and Grits add $5

Entrees:

Pan Roasted Winter Fluke

Viola's Chicken and Dumplings

Shrimp and Grits add $8

Chesapeake Rockfish "Smith Island" add $8

New York Strip Steak add $10

Kabocha Squash Risotto

Cassoulet "Southern Style"

Braised New Frontier Bison Short Ribs add $7

Lamb Top Round Steak add $8

Atlantic Salmon

Sides:

Baked Macaroni and Vermont Cheddar Cheese $5.50

Butterbean Succotash and Applewood Bacon $5.25

Braised Greens, Smothered Onions and Bacon $4.25

(I wasn't able to get the dessert menu)

My wife had the onion soup and the risotto (which were both VERY good!).

I had the tuna tartare and the shrimp and grits. The tuna was excellent. It tasted as though it was tossed in a midly spicy soy-ginger dressing before served. My entree was good as well, but not as good as my appetizer. Not having shrimp and grits anywhere else (thus unable to compare it to somewhere I'd had it before), I wasn't really sure what to expect. Had it not been for the sweet onion ragout, the main course would've been mildly bland (which is understandable considering the components of the dish). My only complaint about the shrimp is that the texture appeard to be dry (as if sitting under the lamps for too long). But, once I bit into them, they were very juicy.

Overall, we had a great experience with the food, service and atmosphere.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Went to Butterfield 9 for RW tonight. Their menus are available here By the way, their lunch menu is available until Jan 21.

It was good but nothing spectacular. My dining companion had the shallot and apple soup and she liked it very much - I tasted some and it did have an interesting taste - and the duck provided an interesting contrast to the sweetness of the soup. I had the ravioli.... not bad but the seafood inside the ravioli could have been anything - couldn't distinctly make out the shrimp or crayfish.

For entrees, we had the cod and the chicken. Both were ok.... the cod was well cooked but not particularly flavorful (but cod isn't flavorful in general....). The chicken was a little dry. The scalloped cauliflower was quite tasty.

For dessert, we had the mexican chocolate souffle cake and the sorbet (pomegranate lime). The sorbet was outstanding - fruity and refreshing. The cake was very rich and tasty - put the two together and it was like the perfect dessert.

Glad we tried it for RW - not sure i'd go back another time though at the regular prices.

Going to Corduroy for the 1st time on Saturday - really looking forward to it!!

Edited by rbh (log)