• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dine about town, SF

jschyun

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet on the board, but the Dine About Town thing is about to start again in Jan.

SF Dine About Town Promotion

On the other board, some have mentioned that there might be some ripoffs and after looking at the evidence I agree. Still, there might be some interesting meals to be had.

What places are you guys thinking about dropping by for the DAT promotion? I'm thinking about One Market and perhaps Seasons at the Four Seasons.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I vaguely remember some of the rip-off comments from last year as well and would love to hear from people which restaurants were actually worth going to.

I didn't read last year's comments, but here are my memories. We had good luck with bacar both years, though some co-workers were less thrilled with it, so maybe it's somewhat variable. We liked Maya last year, though the night we were there the service was horrible; I suspected a few missing staff members rather than a general tendency.

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

Last year at this time, I asked Randall Stickrod about the big list, and he had this to say:

Wow, that's a  big list. And some pretty good names.

Off the top of my head, though, I like Absinthe (I think you would too - plus cool neighborhood), B44 and Plouf in Belden Alley (great for outdoor lunch if the weather is good - otherwise, very hip scene for dinner), Grand Cafe (worth it just for the interior appointments), Ana Mandara (gorgeous), Piperade (dying to go there, haven't been yet), ... it would be easier to pick the ones NOT to go to. It's a good list.

Without slinging too much dirt, could *someone* remind us what some of the rip-off comments were... places to avoid, deals to be wary of, etc?

Thanks!

I'd be interested too. I wasn't here last year for DAT. In doing a search, I couldn't find any topics with telling titles in January '04, though.

Kathy

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

So, has anyone been to Maya?

Yes, we have been to Maya. But our last visit was over 2 years back... coincidentally, it was during that year's Dine About Town promotion.

I don't remember much about the meal, except their mole sauce in one of the dishes was very good.

Sorry, couldnt be of more help...

• 2 weeks later...
So, has anyone been to Maya?

http://www.mayasf.com/

Thougts on Maya

People either seem to love it or hate it. I'm in the later category. No, it's not worh the emotion for hate, it is too mediocre.

Also this is one of those places that has the prix fixe dinner year round, so you don't need to rush there during DAT.

First, don't go if you are expecting the typical Chevy type food. This is an attempt at upscale Mexican food done badly. I worked in Mexico City for about a year and of of the food top of the line food there is as wonderful as what you would find at Chez Panisse or Gary Danko. So I was VASTLY disappointed by Maya.

If you look at Citysearch you will see that about 1/3 of the posters feel the same.

I think the some of the posts in this thread sum up what is wrong ... people who went there don't really remember what they ate.

The last time I ate there was in 2002 when there was something called "On the Town" which was similar to DAT. Three courses for $29. Here are my thoughts from that dinner.

It was Sunday night and the white mums on the table were wilting and slightly brown at the tips. It was a visual summary of Maya’s décor and food - tired and not fresh.

Appetizer: sopa de elote ~ creamy roasted corn soup served with a huitlacoche dumpling

Put a can of Green Giant creamed corn in a blender, heat, and you would have a taste that was pretty similar to this soup. I‘m a big fan of creamed corn, but not at this price. I ordered the soup because I wanted to try huitlacoche, a corn fungus which is supposed to be a delicacy. It is said to have a flavor like mushrooms. The huitlacoche was in a dumpling and did not have any detectable flavor. It did make lovely black swirls in the corn soup. (Note: I have since learned that when huitlacoche is frozen it loses it's flavor).

Entrée: camarones azteca ~ shrimp flambé with tequila, served with a huarache stuffed with black beans and cheese with chile-chipotle.

If the shrimp were not frozen, it would be a surprise to me. Tasteless and tough. Don’t call it flambé unless I see it flaming. The worst was that there was no flavor of chipotle, a favorite of mine. The huarache was decent, a sort of fritter with beans and cheese. Bowls of nice nutty, buttery rice and decent black beans came with the entrée.

I ordered a side of plantains which were good and not greasy.

Dessert: Two plantain turnovers with coconut ice cream and strawberry sauce. They tasted like Pepperidge Farm frozen turnovers. I like Pepperidge Farm so these were not unpleasant like the ice cream. The only thing the coconut added was a gritty texture. The strawberry sauce had the taste of frozen strawberries puréed in a blender.

I had a mojito which was tasty. This was my first mojito, so I have noting to compare it with.

The guava margarita was a major mistake. Not a good combination with tequila. While it had a lovely pink color and real guava juice was used, it was the consistency of a Kern’s nectar and IMO, did not complement the tequila. I did not finish it.

I thought the restaurant would be prettier. I had visions of gleaming silver. There were touches of silver here and there, but it certainly was not as fabulous as described in reviews. I found the room depressing and worn like the table linens.

I’m not sure if Maya has dumbed down the flavors for mass appeal or they are in a slump. It seems like they are trying to please too many people. They want an upscale restaurant, yet they serve chips and guacamole to placate the Chevy’s crowd. Quite frankly, I would have had a better dinner at Chevy’s. The food would have at least been fresher.

Service was pleasant, but diners were pushed to buy drinks. I was only half finished with the mojito when I was asked if I wanted another. The tables near me also were asked a number of times prematurely if they would like additional drinks. Also, the servers suggested ordering the more expensive dishes like the lobster and shrimp.

So that was how I felt at the time. I hear the best value there is at happy hour when the appetizers are free and the drinks are cheaper.

So which of the restaurants are within walking distance of Moscone Center? DAT coincides with the Fancy Food Show!

Since you asked about Maya, I am guessing that is not out of your range of walking distance, so here goes:

XYZ at W Hotel - no, no, no. Not even at a discount. It's a ladies who lunch type of place and it is about being seen rather than about the mediocre food.

LuLu has its good years and bad years. I hear they are in a good cycle. If you go, please report back and let us know what you think. I've never been to the original LuLu but I am unimpressed by their location in the Ferry Building.

Azie LIke LuLu and XYZ it is the closest to the Moscone center. I've never been. It changed its direcrtion from the the opening at the height of the dot com days and rethought things in terms of price. I miiiight try it this year.

You don't say if you are looking for dinner or lunch. But a few blocks up ...

Fringale Many people love this place. I'm not a fan. The problem is that it is right next door to my favorite restaurant Bizou. IMO, Fringale isn't as good.

Bacar Until this year, I never tried it because, again, near Bizou. I was disappointed when I went. Dishes were too busy with too many ingrediants and they didn't compliment each other. Each element was fine in itself, but it was like a dish of little tapas rather than an etree. Great wine bar though.

Bizou - My love. My favorite restaurant in the city. I lived very near it and it was my Cheers. With the exception of the past year when I've been traveling, I've eaten there about once a month since it opened.

Given that. Don't make a special trip for DAT. Bizou has a the special prix fixe menu year round. It is a good value for prix fix though. For the entree price, you get an appetizer and dessert for free. If you've never had it, get the Valcheron for dessert. Michael Bauer recently down graded Bizou. I agree with some of his points and I hope Bizou takes them to heart. However, I felt that it was a bit unfair as Bizou is going through somewhat of a transformation from Cal French to Cal Mediterranean. If you see squid in any preparation on the menu get it. They always do an outstanding job. Braised dishes, especially at this chilly time of year, are always exceptional.

In the other direction near Union Square

Seasons at Four Seasons Hotel - Very close. I plan to try it. Something that seems new on the DAT website is that when you click on the restuarant, you get a bio of the restaurant and chef and a sample menu. Not all DAT restaurants have this, but Seasons does and, well, yum. Hope it tastes as good as it sounds.

Capmton Place I haven't been here since the days of Jan Birnbaum and Bradley Ogden. However, whoever the chef is I've always liked the food. It was HEAVEN when Ogden was there and he never matched it in any of his restaurants (though I like most of them). Fun place to lunch as SF high society gathers and gossips. I might try this during DAT.

If you are in the area of Moscone Center, stop by the new Whole Foods on Fourth. It has to be the best Whole Foods in chain.

LuLu  has its good years and bad years. I hear they are in a good cycle. If you go, please report back and let us know what you think. I've never been to the original LuLu but I am unimpressed by their location in the Ferry Building.

I wouldn't even call it a restaurant at Ferry Building--isn't it just a little counter with stools? But if you want an extremely tasty sandwich to go, theirs are good eating, for take-out.

Azie  LIke LuLu and XYZ it is the closest to the Moscone center. I've never been. It changed its direcrtion from the the opening at the height of the dot com days and rethought things in terms of price. I miiiight try it this year.

You don't say if you are looking for dinner or lunch.

Walking for lunch; we'll go somewhere else for dinner, since I've got a car.

But a few blocks up ...

Fringale Many people love this place. I'm not a fan. The problem is that it is right next door to my favorite restaurant Bizou. IMO, Fringale  isn't as good.

Well, the chef is a friend of mine, and I'm a little prejudiced, though I'm sure Bizou is worth a visit. Marc Raisic made chicken at a dinner in a fig orchard that I photographed/attended, and it was without question the best chicken I've ever had in my life. I've been wanting to dine at his place since then (he was with La Table at the time, and moved to Fringale a while after that dinner). I think very highly of him as a chef and as a person.

Bizou - My love. My favorite restaurant in the city. I lived very near it and it was my Cheers. With the exception of the past year when I've been traveling, I've eaten there about once a month since it opened.

I would like to try Bizou, as well. I love their website--I even pointed it out to Rancho Gordo, an eG friend who's also a web designer and foodie like I am. I was very impressed by the things Loretta Keller has said about food (on the Bizou site, and elsewhere). I Googled her a few days after I saw the site for the first time. "Keller" sure seems to be a good name for a chef, eh?

Given that. Don't make a special trip for DAT.

No, I'm killing two ortolans with one stone: I am coming to the Fancy Foods Show, and it's at Moscone. Hence the need for hoofable lunch.

Bizou has a the special prix fixe menu year round. It is a good value for prix fix though. For the entree price, you get an appetizer and dessert for free. If you've never had it, get the Valcheron for dessert.  Michael Bauer recently down graded Bizou. I agree with some of his points and I hope Bizou takes them to heart. However, I felt that it was a bit unfair as Bizou is going through somewhat of a transformation from Cal French to Cal Mediterranean. If you see squid in any preparation on the menu get it. They always do an outstanding job. Braised dishes, especially at this chilly time of year, are always exceptional. 

Mmmmm, squid. Mmmmm, braising.

In the other direction near Union Square

Seasons at Four Seasons Hotel - Very close. I plan to try it. Something that seems new on the DAT website is that when you click on the restuarant, you get a bio of the restaurant and chef and a sample menu. Not all DAT restaurants have this, but Seasons does and, well, yum. Hope it tastes as good as it sounds.

Capmton Place  I haven't been here since the days of Jan Birnbaum and Bradley Ogden. However, whoever the chef is I've always liked the food. It was HEAVEN when Ogden was there and he never matched it in any of his restaurants (though I like most of them). Fun place to lunch as SF high society gathers and gossips. I might try this during DAT.

Four Seasons is a little stodgier than I want to do for lunch with friends. Too dressy.

Campton Place is appealing, as there were recent discussions of its merits here. I am considering it as a dinner option soon.

If you are in the area of Moscone Center, stop by the new Whole Foods on Fourth. It has to be the best Whole Foods in chain.

Nah, I don't need a Whole Foods. I live in Santa Cruz: we've got New Leaf, Staff of Life, DeLuxe Foods, and Shopper's Corner. And two farmers markets a week, this time of year. (Only four more months until my other two regular markets re-open, woo hoo!)

Thanks for the tips. :biggrin:

Without slinging too much dirt, could *someone* remind us what some of the rip-off comments were... places to avoid, deals to be wary of, etc?

Thanks!

I'd be interested too. I wasn't here last year for DAT. In doing a search, I couldn't find any topics with telling titles in January '04, though.

Kathy

I think the thing you have to do is when you get to a place, check to see if the DAT menu is more expensive than if you ordered separately.

I really think that Tsar Nicoulai Caviar Café is a tasty, interesting and fun place in the Ferry Building. However, when you see their sample menu on DAT, it would be about the same as ordering a la carte. Also, this isn't so much of a restaurant as a bar. No tables. Would not make it a DAT destination, but do stop by if you find yourself in the Ferry Building.

I tried Farralon during DAT two years ago. The DAT selections were a little boring. However, it was always a restaurant I was curious about, so it was worth the bucks to visit. Not good enough to ever entice me back.

Also, many of these restaurants have prix fixe menus year round. Either check through citysearch or the restaurant's website to see if that is so.

At one time Ana Mandara had a year round prix fixe. Looking at their website, that doesn't seem to be so. I might try them as I am so disgusted with Slanted Door (formerly a favorite of mine).

Fournou's Ovens at The Stanford Court is just mediocre hotel food and not worth it at any price. The decor ain't that special either.

I ate at 1550 Hyde Cafe & Wine Bar the first week it opened and loved it. LOVED IT. If parking wasn't impossible, I'd be there more often. I love it so much I'm giving you the link to the website so you can read some of the great reviews it has had. I agree ... strongly. One of the cable cars does stop in front of the place.

The one restaurant I am SURE I will be going to is going to seem silly ... Forbes Island . Unlike what I've read on this board (more talk of decor than food), I've read the opposite. To some the decor has been, well, ok, but the food was fantastic ... and ... EXPENSIVE !!!. So I am sure this is one of the better deals on DAT this year. Here's a link to their menu to get an idea of what they serve (sounds great) and normal prices (ouch). I think they charge some sort of fee for the brief boat ride to the restaurant.

I'm going to SF tomorrow (!) and just found out that I am free tomorrow night for dinner. I'm staying 2 blocks from Union Square...any specific recs in that area that are participating in the DAT program? Have a (non-DAT) reservation at Aziza for Wed pm--can't wait!

Any/all help is greatly appreciated, and places where I can dine in the bar area are fine too. Thanks in advance!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet on the board, but the Dine About Town thing is about to start again in Jan.

SF Dine About Town Promotion

On the other board, some have mentioned that there might be some ripoffs and after looking at the evidence I agree.  Still, there might be some interesting meals to be had. 

What places are you guys thinking about dropping by for the DAT promotion?  I'm thinking about One Market and perhaps Seasons at the Four Seasons.

Cheat Sheet for Dine About Town

I put together this cheat sheet for myself to keep in the car. It has all the DAT 2005 restaurants with address, phone, type of cuisine and hours of participation.

My schedule takes me into SF at unscheduled times, so if it’s near meal time I can check out what is available. That little screen on my cell phone is just too hard to read.

Thought maybe someone else might find this useful. Sometimes DAT participation isn’t during prime time (Friday/Saturday pm). Piperade is one of those restaurants that doesn’t have DAT on the weekends.

Found myself in SF unexpectedly yesterday. Rubicon seemed to be closed and the only restaurant I could remember was Seasons (too rainy for Forbes Island). So I put the list together for next time.

If you do use the list, I would call the restaurant first to confirm the information is correct. It seems that even as of Jan 3rd the list is changing. Yesterday 500 Jackson was on the DAT site, today it isn’t.

Has anyone tried Café Andrée, Cafe de Paris L'Entrecôte, or Colibrí?

Lunch Only

A16 2355 Chestnut Street (415) 771-2216

Italian

Lunch: Wednesday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm

Absinthe Brasserie & Bar 398 Hayes Street (415) 551-1590

French

Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm

Campton Place Restaurant 340 Stockton Street (415) 955-5555

French

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 1:45pm Saturday 12:00pm - 1:45pm

Farallon 450 Post Street (415) 956-6969

Seafood

Lunch: Tuesday - Thursday 11:30am - 2:30pm Friday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm

The Garden Court Restaurant at the Palace Hotel 2 New Montgomery Street (415) 546-5089

California

Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:00pm

Grand Café 501 Geary Street (415) 292-0101

French

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm Sunday 8:00am - 2:30pm

Kuleto's 221 Powell Street (415) 397-7720

Italian

Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 4:30pm

Ozumo 161 Steuart Street (415) 882-1333

Japanese/Sushi

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm

PlumpJack Café 3127 Fillmore Street (415) 563-4755

Californian

Dinner Only

Acme Chophouse 24 Willie May's Plaza (415) 644-0240

Steakhouses

Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Sunday 5:30pm - 9:00pm

Alfred's Steakhouse 659 Merchant Street (415) 781-7058

Steakhouses

Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30pm - 8:45pm Friday 5:30 - 7:30pm, Saturday 5:30pm - 9:30pm

Sunday 5:30pm - 8:30pm

Andalu 3198 16th Street (415) 621-2211

Global/International

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

ANZU Hotel Nikko, 222 Mason Street : (415) 394-1100

Japanese/Sushi

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Asia SF 201 Ninth Street (415) 255-2742

Fusion/Eclectic

Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 6:00pm - 10:00pm Thursday - Friday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Azie 826 Folsom Street (415) 538-0918

Fusion/Eclectic

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10pmFriday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Saturday 5pm - 10:30pm Sunday 5pm - 10pm

Aziza 5800 Geary Blvd. (415) 752-2222

Mediterranean

Dinner: Sunday - Monday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Wednesday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Big 4 Restaurant 1075 California Street (415) 771-1140

American

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Cafe Bastille 22 Belden Place (415) 986-5673

French

Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm

Chenery Park Restaurant 683 Chenery Street (415) 337-8537

American

Dinner: Monday 5:30pm - 9:30pm Wednesday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm

Sunday 5:30pm - 9:00pm

Circolo 500 Florida Street (415) 553-8560

Latin/Spanish

Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 5:00pm - 11:00pm Thursday 5:30pm - 1:00am

Côte Sud Restaurant 4238 18th Street (415) 255-6565

French

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Cozmo's Corner Grill 2001 Chestnut Street 415-351-0175

American

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:45pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Crossing The Bar Pier 33, The Embarcadero (415) 261-3020

Fusion/Eclectic

Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Crustacean Restaurant 1475 Polk Street (415) 776-2722

Vietnamese

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 9:30pm

Daily Grill 347 Geary Street (415) 616-5000

Steakhouses

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 4:00pm - 10:00pm

Eclipse Cafe at Hyatt Regency 5 Embarcadero Center (415) 788-1234

Steakhouses

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

EOS Restaurant & Wine Bar 901 Cole Street (415) 566-3063

Fusion/Eclectic

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Equinox Restaurant at Hyatt Regency 5 Embarcadero Center (415) 291-8560

California

Dinner: Sunday, Wednesday, & Thursday 6:00pm - 10:00pm

1550 Hyde 1550 Hyde Street : (415) 775-1550

Mediterranean

Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 6:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 6:00pm - 10:30pm

Sunday 5:30pm - 9:30pm

First Crush Restaurant, Wine Bar & Lounge 101 Cyril Magnin Street (415) 982-7874

American

Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 5:00pm - 11:00pm Thursday - Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00pm

Florio 1915 Fillmore Street (415)775-4300

Italian

Dinner: Monday -Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Forbes Island Pier 39, MI (415) 951-4900

American

Dinner: Wednesday & Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Hyde Street Bistro 1521 Hyde Street (415) 292-4415

French

Dinner: Monday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Wednesday - Sunday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Il Fornaio 1265 Battery Street (415) 986-0100

Italian

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm

Julius’ Castle, 1541 Montgomery Street (415) 392-2222

European

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm

Last Supper Club 1199 Valencia Street (415) 695-1199

Italian

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm to 10:30pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:30pm

Le Colonial 20 Cosmo Place (415) 931-3600

Vietnamese

Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 9:30pm Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Moose's 1652 Stockton Street (415) 989-7800

American

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Nectar Wine Lounge 3330 Steiner Street (415) 345-1377

California

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am

Night Monkey 2223 Union Street (415) 775-1130

American

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 6:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 6:00pm - 10:30pm

Nob Hill Restaurant 1 Nob Hill, 999 California Street (415) 616-6944

California

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Palio d'Asti 640 Sacramento Street (415) 395-9800

Italian

Dinner: Monday - Friday 5:30pm - 9:00pm

Park Grill at Park Hyatt 333 Battery Street (415) 296-2933

Californian

Dinner: Monday - Friday 6:00pm - 9:00pm

Plouf 40 Belden Place (415) 986-6491

Seafood

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Ponzu Restaurant 401 Taylor Street (415) 775-7979

Fusion/Eclectic

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

Restaurant Jeanne D’Arc 715 Bush Street (415) 421-3154

French

Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00pm - 9:00pm

RNM 598 Haight Street (415) 551-7900

American

Dinner: Tuedsay - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Rose Pistola 532 Columbus Avenue (415) 399-0499

Italian

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm to 11:00 pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm to 12:00am

Rubicon 558 Sacramento Street (415) 434-4100

Californian

Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Ruth's Chris Steak House 1601 Van Ness Avenue (415) 673-0557

Steakhouses

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm

Sunday 4:30pm - 9:30pm

Saha 1075 Sutter Street - In the Hotel Carlton (415) 345-9547

Fusion/Eclectic

Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 6:00pm - 10:00pm

Seasons 757 Market St (415) 633-3838

Californian

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 6:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Steps of Rome 362 Columbus Avenue (415) 986-6480

Italian

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 11:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - Midnight

Lunch and Dinner

Ana Mandara 891 Beach Street (Fisherman's Wharf) (415) 771-6800

Vietnamese

Lunch: Wednesday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm

B44 44 Belden Place (415) 986-6287

Mediterranean

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm

Bacar 448 Brannan Street (415) 904-4100

American

Lunch: Monday - Thursday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm

Dinner: Sunday - Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Bix 56 Gold Street (415) 433-6300

American

Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 10:00pm Thursday 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Bizou 598 4th Street (415) 543-2222

French

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30pm - 2:30pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Blowfish Sushi to Die For 2170 Bryant Street (415) 285-3848

Japanese/Sushi

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 11:00pmFriday - Saturday 5:30pm - 12:00am

Sunday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Butterfly Pier 33 Embarcadero @ Bay Street (415) 291-9482

Californian

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 5:00pm - 10:00pm Thursday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

Café Andrée 562 Sutter Street (415) 217-4001

Fusion/Eclectic

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 2:00pm Saturday - Sunday 7:30am - 1:30 pm

Dinner: Sunday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Café Claude 7 Claude Lane (415) 392-3505

French

Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 5:30pm

Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Cafe de Paris L'Entrecôte 2032 Union Street (415) 931-5006

French

Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 4:30pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:30pm - 10:30pm

Friday - Saturday 4:30pm - 12:00am Sunday 4:30pm - 10:00pm

Cafe Pescatore 2455 Mason Street (415) 561-1111

Seafood

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 5:00pm Saturday - Sunday 10:30am - 5:00pm

Castagnola’s 286 Jefferson (415) 776-5015

Italian

Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11am - 4pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4pm - 9pm Friday - Saturday 4pm - 10pm

Catch 2362 Market Street (415) 431-5000

Seafood

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:30pm

Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 9:30pm Thursday 5:30pm -10:00pm

Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Citizen Cake 399 Grove St. (415) 861-2228 x1

California

Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm

Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Colibrí 438 Geary Street (415) 440-2737

Mexican

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 5:00pm Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 5:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

The Cosmopolitan Restaurant.Bar.Piano Lounge 121 Spear Street Unit B-8 (415) 543-4001

American

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 1:45pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30am - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

DESTINO 1815 Market Street (415) 552-4451

Latin/Spanish

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

E&O Trading Company 314 Sutter St. (415) 693-0303

Global/International

Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 5:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Enrico's 504 Broadway (415) 982-6223

Mediterranean

Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

Fior d'Italia Restaurant 601 Union Street (415) 986-1886

Italian

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 10:30pm

Foreign Cinema 2534 Mission Street (415) 648-7600

Mediterranean

Lunch: Saturday 11:30am - 3:30pm Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 6:00pm - 11:30pm

Fournou’s Ovens 905 California Street (415) 989-1910

Mediterranean

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 2:30pm

Franciscan Restaurant Pier 43 1/2 The Embarcadero (415) 362-7733

Seafood

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:30pm Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 4:30pm

Dinner: Monday - Friday 4:30pm - 9:30pm Saturday - Sunday 4:30pm - 10:00pm

Fringale 570 Fourth Street : (415) 543-0573

Basque

Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Gaylord India Restaurant Ghirardelli Square, 900 North Point : (415) 771-8822

Indian

Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:45am - 2:00pm Sunday 12:00pm - 2:45pm

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

Hornblower Cruises Pier 3, On the Embarcadero (800) ON.THE.BAY

American

Lunch: Sunday 11:00am - 1:00pm

Dinner: Friday & Saturday 7:30pm - 10:30pm Sunday 6:00pm - 9:00pm

Kyo-ya Restaurant at the Palace Hotel 2 New Montgomery Street (415) 546-5090

Japanese/Sushi

Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm

Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 6:00pm - 10:00pm

L'Olivier 465 Davis Court (415) 981-7824

French

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:15pm

Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 9:45pm

Le Zinc 4063 24th Street (415) 647-9400

French

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm Sunday 5:30pm - 9:00pm

The Mandarin : 900 North Point (Ghirardelli Square) : (415) 673-8812

Chinese

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 10:00pm

Market Street Grill 1231 Market Street (415) 487-4414

California

Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:00am - 2:00pm

MarketBar 1 Ferry Building : (415) 434-1100

California

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm Saturday - Sunday 9:00am - 4:00pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm

Maxfield's 2 New Montgomery Street (415) 546-5020

California

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 6:00pm - 10:00pm

Maya 303 2nd St (415) 543-2928

Mexican

Dinner: Sunday - Monday 5:30pm - 9:00pm Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

McCormick & Kuleto's 900 North Point Street, Suite H301 (415) 929-1730

Seafood

Lunch: Monday - Thursday 11:30am - 4:30pm Sunday 10:30am - 4:30pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4:30pm - 10:00pm

Momo’s 760 Second Street (415) 227-8660

American

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm

One Market Restaurant 1 Market Street (415) 777-5577

American

Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 9:00pm

PACIFIC 500 Post St. at Pan Pacific Hotel (415) 929-2087

Californian

Dinner: Tuesday - Friday 5:30pm - 9:30pm Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Paragon 701 Second Street (415) 537-9020

American

Perry’s Downtown 185 Sutter Street (415) 989-6895

American

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 4:00pm Saturday 8:00am - 2:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 9:30pm

Piperade 1015 Battery Street (415) 391-2555

Basque

Lunch: Monday - Thursday 11:30am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Pj's oysterbed 737 Irving Street (415) 566-7775

Seafood

Lunch: Monday - Thursday 11:30am - 2:30pm Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm

Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Restaurant LuLu 816 Folsom Street (415) 495-5775

French

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine 101 Second Street : (415) 777-0277

Seafood

Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Saturday - Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm

Scoma’s Pier 47 & Al Scoma Way (415) 771-4383

Seafood

Lunch: Monday - Thursday 12:00pm - 3:30pm Friday - Sunday 11:30am - 3:30pm

Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 3:30pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 3:30pm - 10:30pm

Shanghai 1930 133 Steuart Street (415) 896-5600

Chinese

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 12:00am Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 1:00am

The Terrace at the Ritz-Carlton 600 Stockton Street (415) 773-6198

Mediterranean

Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm

Dinner: Sunday - Monday 6:00pm - 9:30pm

Tommy Toy's Cuisine Chinoise 655 Montgomery Street (415) 397-4888

Fusion/Eclectic

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:30pm - 9:30pm

Tonno Rosso 155 Stewart Street (415) 495-6500

Italian

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 5:00pm

Tsar Nicoulai Caviar Café 1 Ferry Building (415) 288-8630

Global/International

Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:00am - 3:00pm Sunday 10:00am - 3:00pm

Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday 3:00pm - 6:00pm Thursday - Friday 3:00pm - 7:30pm

Sunday 3:00pm - 5:00pm

The Waterfront Pier 7, Embarcadero (415) 391-2696

Seafood

Lunch: Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 4:00pm

Dinner: Monday - Sunday 4:00pm - 10:30pm

XYZ 181 Third Street : (415) 817-7836

American

Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm Saturday - Sunday 8:00am - 2:30pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday 6:00pm - 10:30pm

Thanks for that cheat sheet, Krys.

Actually, as much as I would like to participate in DAT, I'm having a hard time picking a restaurant for dinner. The only requirements I have are: close to a BART station and non-seafood choices...ideally in the financial district or union square but could BART further. I was very excited about Campton Place, then realized they are only doing lunch. It seems to me that most of the places are either mediocre or their menu is such that the DAT deal isn't anything special. (I just ate at One Market Street a few weeks ago...it was good but nothing special...no need to go back). Any advice?

Lobster.

Thanks for that cheat sheet, Krys.

Actually, as much as I would like to participate in DAT, I'm having a hard time picking a restaurant for dinner.  The only requirements I have are: close to a BART station and non-seafood choices...ideally in the financial district or union square but could BART further.  I was very excited about Campton Place, then realized they are only doing lunch.  It seems to me that most of the places are either mediocre or their menu is such that the DAT deal isn't anything special.  (I just ate at One Market Street a few weeks ago...it was good but nothing special...no need to go back).  Any advice?

I've always felt that way about One Market too. I agree with you also about what is in the immediate area of a Bart station.

However, you could catch the cable car at Market and try 1550 Hyde which I posted about. The cable car stops right in front and this is probably the best way to get there anyway as that area has maybe the worst parking situation in SF.

Maybe the cable car idea would open up some of the DAT restaurants for your consideration located on the cable car routes. NOT the Terrace at the Ritz Carlton (like Seasons, outstanding service, barely average food. Don't really like the decor).

• 3 weeks later...

I was still engaged in Hollday travels and so missed out on this excursion--but friends of mine ate the DAT menu at Acme Chop House a few weeks back. The chef is Traci des Jardins and it's located under the Pac Bell (or whatever the new name is).

They said the menu and food were straightforward but good.

Here was the DAT menu when they went:

Apps:

Iceburg lettuce & blue cheese dressing, or oysters on the half shell

Entree:

Marinated skirt steak w/ chimichurri,

or roasted chicken,

accompanied with mac & cheese, mushed potatoes or brussel sprouts

Dessert:

Butterscotch pudding parfait or tapioca pudding

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

anyone have a suggestion for a tuesday lunch around union square?

Looking quickly at the list (via the link in the first post), here a few places that are almost right Union Sq:

Grand Cafe

Farallon

Kuleto's

Plouf (a few blocks off)

Grand Cafe and Farallon are more upscale. You may want to look at their sites a bit. I ate at Grand Cafe, but a long time ago. Farallon is mainly seafood; you can find some egullet reviews if you search on the CA boards.

I haven't been to Kuleto's for awhile, but they use to have reliable N. Italian food. Plouf is a great french bistro type place specializing in mussel dishes; if the weather is warm enough; nice outdoor seeting in a picturesque alley (no cars).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

anyone have a suggestion for a tuesday lunch around union square?

A new chef started at Capton Place in August and he got a rave from Patricia Unterman. Campton Place is right in Union Square and only is doing lunch for DAT.

I had a ok lunch for DAT at Farralon a few years ago. Interesting restaurant, but their DAT selections were very scaled down from their regular items. It was the soup or salad, salmon, creme brulee deal.

• 2 weeks later...

We ate at Bizou; half us ate off the DAT menu. I posted some comments here on a Bizou thread.