• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Branching out in Seattle

lala

Our company just awarded us with extra days off during the holidays (yay!), so I now have a stretch of 10 days where I only have to work on one day. It's too late to make flight arrangements to the Midwest, where family is (awwww... believe me, I'm perfectly ok with this :wink: ).

I'm not rich right now, so I'm not going out of town, but with all this time, I want to try some restaurants that I don't normally go to, particularly at lunch. I tend to stick with the Ballard/QA/Market/West Seattle corridor, and want to get out of that rut. What should I try? I know I'll go to Salumi (only been twice, due to their hours and my work schedule and location). What other interesting, tasty, not too expensive lunch and dinner places should I just not miss?

Edited to add:

I'm perfectly happy to get out of Seattle, too, including a ferry ride (hmmm...Harbor House Pub on Bainbridge?)! So please don't confine suggestions to Seattle only if there's somewhere good to go outside of the city.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

My recent favorite has been Marjorie in Belltown. I've been about 5 times in the last few months, and it's a lovely place with great food that isn't very expensive. Have the conventional soup or salad plus entree, or just a mix of a bunch of small plates. Even the roast chicken is great.

http://www.trenchtownrocks.com/

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Git yerself a cheesesteak at the Philadelphia Fevre on Madison @ 23rd.

The Essential Bakery in Madison Valley has good sandwiches and Hale's on tap. Not bad savory crepes, but don't bother with the soup. Nice space, too.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

CC's at 26th & Union for a burger.

Muy Macho in South Park for tacos.

Imperial Garden in Renton/Kent for dim sum.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Fab suggestions, thanks and keep 'em coming!

I heard something once about a Salvadorian bakery in...White Center? Anyone know it? And what's the best lunch in the ID?

Loving planning this ... I never get out on work days!

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

I heard something once about a Salvadorian bakery in...White Center? Anyone know it? And what's the best lunch in the ID?

I've gone a few times. Interesting Latino desserts and some more conventional stuff too. I believe they serve lunch as well. If you went to Muy Macho, White Center is up the hill to the west. There are a couple taco trucks and several Asian joints in the neighborhood as well.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

best lunch in the ID is definitely going to depend on what you want...i love 7 stars pepper and the hand shaved noodles at shanghi garden.

if you're looking for a cheap lunch - i suggest a bahn mi tour (threads abound). one of my faves (credit to that thread) is what i like to call the cardiac thump bahn mi - 3 fried eggs with mayo...i think pate is also an option. it's right on the corner of king and 4th.

troiani is expensive (i haven't actually been) but i've heard lunch is very good there - and it's a way to sample the place without ponying up for dinner.

cap hill - definitely definitely go to kingfish. eat dessert.

vios is across the street from kingfish - haven't been, but it's supposed to be good. so is the tiny ME place on broadway...in the seedy mini-mart.

edited to add - what about taco trucks? there's one on rainier near edmunds

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

7 Stars Pepper sounds good (I'll look further into past threads, or if you have favorite dishes...?), and I've not had hand shaved noodles before, but I do love a good noodle. Is there a particular one I should order (if there's more than one) at Shanghi Garden?

7 Stars Pepper sounds good (I'll look further into past threads, or if you have favorite dishes...?), and I've not had hand shaved noodles before, but I do love a good noodle. Is there a particular one I should order (if there's more than one) at Shanghi Garden?

The hand shaved dan dan noodles at 7 Star is awesome!!!

The hand shaved dan dan noodles at 7 Star is awesome!!!

Wendy, I knew there was a reason I liked you. :biggrin: That's my favorite dish there. (Although the chong gin chicken is a very close second.)

I probably took your advice on my "lunch in the ID" thread! :biggrin:

at shanghi garden they have "barleygreen handshaved noodles" available in either soup with stuff or stirfried with stuff. both ways are good - nothing to knock your socks off flavor-wise, but the texture of those noodles is wonderful and the flavors are very comforting. i'd get them stirfried i think, unless i was feeling sorry for myself. self-pity always puts me in a soup mood.

at 7 stars, the twice cooked pork szechuan style is amazing. so is the crab. if you like spice - get the crab. a satisfying way to end up with food in your hair.

the house special fried noodle is also very good - and immense. even good the next day. i'm not sure if these are the "hong-kong fried noodles" others have mentioned - can who's had them and knows clarify?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

At 7 Stars Pepper, I've liked the Ant on a Tree (ground pork, glass noodles, and gingery spicy sauce), some smoked pork dish whose exact name escapes me (sort of bacon-y pork with green chiles), the previously-mentioned chong-gin chicken, and some of the lamb dishes.

Also, he House Special Barleygreen noodles, with a bunch of ingredients, including egg, at Shanghai Garden are particularly good.

Happy eating!

(Edited for stupid typo)

Edited by creepygirl (log)

I heard something once about a Salvadorian bakery in...White Center? Anyone know it? 

Here you go: http://www.thestranger.com/2003-02-06/chow2.html

Sure do. I went there with a thorough review in hand, had a coupon for half off, and had a tableful of food just for myself. :smile: I tried to get a sampling of all their specialties. This review doesn't mention it, but their fresh corn drink is wonderful. :wub:

It's just a hole in the wall and easy to miss.

Oooo, almost forgot!! Takohachi for lunch!! Discussed a bunch in this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=53168

Incredibly good Japanese home cooking, and very inexpensive.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I know I'll go to Salumi (only been twice, due to their hours and my work schedule and location). What other interesting, tasty, not too expensive lunch and dinner places should I just not miss?

You might want to check Salumi's hours. Its highly likely Armandino will have the place closed up for the holidays.

Good recs so far. A few I haven't tried yet... hmmm you gave me an idea for MY upcoming days off...

Born Free, Now Expensive

I've gone a few times. Interesting Latino desserts and some more conventional stuff too. I believe they serve lunch as well. If you went to Muy Macho, White Center is up the hill to the west. There are a couple taco trucks and several Asian joints in the neighborhood as well.

I've had pupusas at lunchtime at the Salvadorian bakery in White Center. Burian also has a Salvadorean restaurant on 153rd St. called El Trapiche, with a more extensive menu.

Another good inexpensive lunch idea are the tacos at El Rinconsito (several locations including Burian). I also like the tacos at the taco wagon in White Center.

Ok, I'm getting organized here - where is Takohachi?

And is there a good garage in the ID? I usually park at Uwajamaya, as I find it so easy to spend money there anyway...

To heck with visions of sugarplums, I've got visions of noodles, Bahn Mi, and Fried Chicken dancing 'round my head!

Edited by lala (log)

Ok, I'm getting organized here - where is Takohachi?

And is there a good garage in the ID? I usually park at Uwajamaya, as I find it so easy to spend money there anyway...

To heck with visions of sugarplums, I've got visions of noodles, Bahn Mi, and Fried Chicken dancing 'round my head!

Takohachi, 610 S. Jackson St., 206-682-1828. Open 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Saturday.

I want a full report as I haven't been there yet!!