• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Sorrento - anyone been?

RebeccaT

http://www.sorrentohouston.com/

Haven't ever heard of this place, but I found it while cruising b4-U-eat.com looking for ideas for our anniversary dinner coming up. Typical choice would be Mark's, but that feels so... typical. Also considering Quattro at the Four Seasons. But this place intrigues me, and the reviews (at least the ones on b4-U-eat) are very positive on both food and ambience.

Anyone been? Any thoughts? Any thoughts on where we should go if it's not any of the places I mentioned above?

Many thanks!

Here is the Houston Chronicle review of Sorrento.

As for recommendations, other than Mark's, I would recommend you try Aries. They have fabulous food.

The other place that has to be one of my top favorites in the city is Cafe Rabelais (review here). It is a small cozy place in Rice village that serves up wonderful Bistro food. We were just there on Friday, I had a fantastic rabbit confit plate. Other things to recommend (the menu changes all the time and is written on a black board), are the mussles, cassoulet, the rack of lamb and the bavette with shallots. If you are in the mood for some classic French comfort food and do not mind waiting 15 to 30 minutes to sit down, give them a try.

Please do report where you go and how you like it.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wow, that review in the Chron was totally not what I have read elsewhere.

Here is the review from the Houston Press. This reviewer went to Sorrento twice, and reviewed both visits very highly. In fact, reviewed some of the very same dishes completely differently than the Chron. Hmmm.

I have considered Aries, but I waver. Among my friends who have visited, the reviews are quite mixed.

Thanks for the recommendation of Cafe Rabelais. We have been wanting to try it for some time, so if it doesn't make the cut for the anniversary then we'll try to visit soon for no reason at all!

I will second Mark's and deeply discourage you from going to Aries. A very, very disappointing experience. (Read my review My Aries Review)

You might want to consider Rouge, Masraff's or Rainbow Lodge, all of which I can vouch for. Others to consider are Artista and Bank Jean-Georges. I only know what I have read.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

My parents went to Sorrento after the Press review and were sorely disappointed. But it was an "off" night, like a Monday or Tuesday, I think.

Since we're in an Italian vein I'd strongly recommend da Marco. There was a brief thread on it here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=50252

I had the highest opinion of those who responded, though.

I have heard very good things about Da Marco, from other foodie friends whom I trust. I hadn't thought about Arista, although I have noted it when I've been downtown lately. That's a possibility. Shame that your parents didn't like Sorrento...

Where is Rouge? I will have to go look for reviews. Have been to Masraff's, it's the in-laws favorite place since they live nearby. Can't go wrong with it, for sure, but we wanted to try someplace we had never been.

So no one has ever been to Quattro?

I'll have to just make up my mind today, and it might be limited to where we can get a table at 8-ish on Saturday! I really waited until the last minute!

Quattro is excellent. You should make sure to get a table in the back part of the dinning room. Its been awhile since Ive eaten there but I completely trust the chef. In fact he cooked a great meal for me and my wife the night I proposed.

What about Simposio, I have always had great meals at simposio. The grilled calamari is excellent and so is the pork in balsalmic sauce. The rissotto's are the best I have had.

Never been to trevisio but it is owned by the same person as Zula downtown and Zula has always pleased me.

I've never been to Rouge, but heard and read excellent things about it. Here is the Chronicle's review. It is definitly on my must-go-to list.

Simposio is a great Italian restaurant with good food, ambience and service. I recommend it as well.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog