• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desperately seeking Peruvian chicken

Atomic Lunch

Hey gang,

I've been living in NYC for just a year, moved here from the metro DC area, and I have yet to find a Peruvian rotiss chicken joint to match the one I left behind. My favorite old place was called El Pollo Rico in Arlington, Va, and all they served were chicken, fries and flan.

They brined the birds in some magic potion, then cooked them rotisserie over a charcoal flame to perfection, hacked them into quarters and served them up with a helping of steak fries. Cole slaw was available if you like that kind of thing. The skin was always nice and crispy and just a little charred and the flesh was preternaturally juicey. It was served up without pretention in styrofoam, and cost only a few bucks.

Now, since I have moved here I have come to expect that there's nothing you can't find in this town, so I must just not be looking hard enough for some good pollo. Does anyone know of a place that meets or approximates this description? I'd prefer Manhattan, but for the proper pollo I'd brave a trip across the river.

There is a place called Pio Pio in manhattan that is pretty good.. There is a place called Flor De Mayo on the UWS.. I have never been to Flor, but The New York Times loves this place.

My personal favorite place to get chicken is where i work in Elizabeth, New Jersey. This place is really amazing.. However, its Portugese. Its a little store front that has 6 table and a counter.. Behind the counter they have a pit filled with rotating meats. You get chicken, rice and fries for 5 bucks..

My favorite peruvian rotiss is Mancora on Smith Street in Brooklyn.

I don't know if it is the best but it hits the spot.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Ah, Pio Pio... It's right around the corner from my apartment. When I was out of work I scarfed down a lot of Pio, $4 for half a chicken as long as you go eat it somewhere else. Put the same half a bird on a plate and eat it on one of their tables and it's $10. Still, it doesn't have the low-class charm I'm looking for. Less evidence that it was recently rolling over a very hot charcoal fire.

Keep those suggestions coming, I'm building a to-do list!

My favorite peruvian rotiss is Mancora on Smith Street in Brooklyn.

I don't know if it is the best but it hits the spot.

There's a branch of Mancora in the East Village also. I haven't been there yet but heard it's quite good.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

There is a place called Pio Pio in manhattan that is pretty good.. There is a place called Flor De Mayo on the UWS.. I have never been to Flor, but The New York Times loves this place. 

I used to live around the corner from Flor de Mayo -- it was a few years ago, but if it's the same now I can't recommend it highly enough.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I like the pollo a la brasa at the Mancora on 6 St. and 1 Av., but I don't know if it will meet Atomic Lunch's specifications. I always liked the Dominican chicken from El Malecon better than Flor de Mayo's, though. Better sauce, and I assume it's still cheaper?

Michael aka "Pan"

There's also Chimu, a Peruvian "Steak House" on Union Avenue in Williamsburg. I'm a big fan of their rotisserie chicken, but I'm not sure if it meets the low-class charm qualification. It's inexpensive, but they've put in a lot of effort to make it charming.

thoughts on food, writing, and everything else: Words to Eat By

I recently wrote a piece for the NY Post (yes, the Post) about the best Latin chicken (fried and rotisserie).

The only Peruvian place I used was Pio Pio, and people have already mentioned most of the Manhattan biggies. There are places like Cocina Cuzco and Coco Roco, but I don't think they have the atmosphere you're looking for.

If you're not dead set on Peruvian, El Malecon in Washington Heights is well known for their rotisserie chicken. And Queens is practically teeming with various S. American (mostly Columbian) rotisserie joints like Pollos A La Brasa Mario, La Pollada de Laura, and La Pollera Colorada.

Krista, that's cool that you wrote that article, though it's showing up too small to read on my monitor.

Have you compared the pollo a la brasa at El Malecon's 97th/Amsterdam and Washington Heights branches?

Michael aka "Pan"

Krista, that's cool that you wrote that article, though it's showing up too small to read on my monitor.

Oh, you can click on the article and the plain text pops up.

Have you compared the pollo a la brasa at El Malecon's 97th/Amsterdam and Washington Heights branches?

I've only eaten at the location on Broadway, so I can't say if the two are equally good.

Oh, you can click on the article and the plain text pops up.[...]

Thanks. I was clicking in the wrong places. That was a good read.

Michael aka "Pan"