• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sloppy, throw-together snacks

PurpleDingo99

Weve all heard of hundreds (thousands?) of little throw-together snacks that people stick out for sporting events and lazy get-togethers. From freezer buffallo wings to nacho dips. I doubt many of you have touched the stuff in years. For those of us who do: are there any crappy snacks that really stick out in your mind? a nuked can of hormel chili mixed with a container of cream cheese as a poor man's bean dip is one of the better ones that comes to mind. For me, frozen california pizza kitchen pizzas take the proverbial cake, however.

Eight ounces of softened cream cheese, one bottle of Tiger sauce. Mix until it has a swirled appearance (for some reason, it's not the same if you homogenize it). Top with eight ounces of backfin crabmeat. Serve with decent crackers or toasted pita triangles.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Take Jalepeno peppers, remove seeds, stuff with cream cheese, wrap with bacon, bake until the bacon is done. Serve with blue cheese/ranch dressing.

Buffalo wings are super simple and super wonderful, but more often than not I procure them via ordering out rather than getting the kitchen messy deep frying myself.

Someone reminded me of sausage balls the other day, so I will probably throw those together somtime soon.

A big pot of sauerkraut and brats, with just enough beer to cover, is easy, and keeps hot all day.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

You need a crock pot to keep these hot.

Little Smokeys: saute a bunch in a pan til they get just a little charred. Throw in some grape jelly and yellow mustard and stir until the mess simmers. Take off the burner and throw into the crock pot.

Serve with toothpicks....

For Texans, it would be impossible to go to a Superbowl party, or for that matter, pretty much any other party, without seeing "Queso."

That's short for "Chile con Queso."

Furners (that's all y'all not from here) call it "Cheese Dip."

The recipe, as any Texan can tell you, is to open one can of Original Ro-Tel Tomatoes with Chiles and dump it into a saucepan or glass microwaveable dish and chunk up a bunch of Velveeta and heat it until it's all melted and gooey and serve with tortilla chips.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

spinach dip: mayo, sour cream, instant vegetable soup mix, and frozen (thawed) spinach. A winner every time.

I had difficulty convincing someone once at a pot luck that falling off a log took more effort.

It's no amuse-bouche OR amuse-gueule, but damn I like it anyway.

And to hell with haute cuisine, if I'm watching a ball game, I want cheese dip and hot dogs and spinach dip and I might even take a lil' smokey or two.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

The recipe, as any Texan can tell you, is to open one can of Original Ro-Tel Tomatoes with Chiles and dump it into a saucepan or glass microwaveable dish and chunk up a bunch of Velveeta and heat it until it's all melted and gooey and serve with tortilla chips.

I can take this to ANY casual gathering (I live in Florida now), and there's always someone who hasn't had this and who gets to hear all about Ro-Tel. I do mine in a crockpot, though. And love it even more with plain ol' corn tortillas rather than chips. Like the tortillas & queso we'd get when. . ..intoxicated & needing nourishment at Taco Cabana in college.

We grill chicken wings. . .salt, pepper, canola oil, grill them, then toss in buffalo sauce. . . .and Nullo, we do a similar jalapeno popper. . . .except we leave them cut in half, put a piece of blue cheese in each jalapeno boat, and wrap the bacon around.

There's also enough women at our gatherings that I don't hesitate to put out a plate with some unusual fruits & cheeses. It gets eaten, and no one loses a finger to the menfolk's forks & toothpicks.

Diana

We call this one Prison Food because it looks pretty ugly...but tastes great and couldn't be easier.

In a casserole dish, slap in a brick of cream cheese, spread evenly and just a bit up the sides. Dump in a cup or so of chili, any chili, could be homemade, canned, or I usually do the ultimate lazy thing and go through Wendy's drive thru! Then dump a bag of shredded cheddar cheese mix (I like Taco blend) on top.

Microwave on high for a few minutes, till cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serve w/chips. This reheats great too.

:raz: Pam

You speak the truth :biggrin: One of the first "recipes" any good Texan learns. :raz:

To this day I still find this one a little strange. My mom's ex-husband had a super bowl party and invited all the boys. A football player and undercover narcotics cop, a marathon runner, generall "real BURLY men". I went over to spend the day with my mom and as soon as I walked in the door, I was asked to make scones. So, while watching the football game, in between bites of KFC, the boys were eating fresh warm scones, with clotted cream and blackcurrant jam :blink: It was very strange.

Buffalo wings are super simple and super wonderful, but more often than not I procure them via ordering out rather than getting the kitchen messy deep frying myself.

I have been making wings lately but I just toss them in the oven on a sheet pan and cook for about 40 min at 350, then toss with sauce (either hot or bbq) the last 10 minutes and they are damm good. (I think anyway)

The Alabama version requires you to serve with Fritos. I believe the scoop variety is now acceptable.

Bode

You speak the truth :biggrin: One of the first "recipes" any good Texan learns. :raz:

About a year or two ago, I spotted Ro-Tel tomatoes on supermarket shelves in Philly. There were even coupons in the Sunday newspapers. I bought a can and tried the above recipe. Perfect game-day snacking.

I haven't seen them much since. Was this a misguided attempt on their part to go national? I suspect it would be like seeing Yuengling Lager in package stores in Florida...what? They have it there?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

To this day I still find this one a little strange.  My mom's ex-husband had a super bowl party and invited all the boys.  A football player and undercover narcotics cop, a marathon runner, generall "real BURLY men".  I went over to spend the day with my mom and as soon as I walked in the door, I was asked to make scones.  So, while watching the football game, in between bites of KFC, the boys were eating fresh warm scones, with clotted cream and blackcurrant jam :blink:  It was very strange.

Ever see the Bissell carpet cleaner commercial featuring biker types downing smoothies and watching figure skating on TV in their clubhouse? (One of them bought his toy poodle in...)

That image just popped in my head.

And now for my own quick 'n' dirty preferences, aside from the canned chili (I prefer Bush's Chili Magic when I can find it; I suspect Campbell's Chunky will also work) and Velveeta:

Take bag or two of Li'l Smokies--regular, Cheddar or both. Dump in glass casserole dish. Pour barbecue sauce over it all. Nuke 2 minutes. Place dish and box of toothpicks on table. Sit back and relax.

I honestly believe that's true. I think you could even round up a passel of five-year-olds in the Lone Star State and ask them how to make 'Queso,' and they'd all know: "My mommy opens up a can of Wo-Tel....."

And to MarketStEl & Bejam....that's right....we're taking over the world!!! :raz:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

For Texans, it would be impossible to go to a Superbowl party, or for that matter, pretty much any other party, without seeing "Queso."

That's short for "Chile con Queso."

Furners (that's all y'all not from here) call it "Cheese Dip."

This furner in Loozyanna calls it Ro-Tel dip. Either tortilla chips or Fritos will do. Love the stuff.

Another fave is Olive Pecan Spread. Soften an 8 oz. block of cream cheese and mix it with 3/4 cup of mayo, a drained bottle of salad olives, plus 2 T of the reserved olive juice, 3 or 4 dashes of Tabasco, and a cup of chopped pecans. Chill for a couple of hours. Serve with crackers. People who think they don't like olives love this stuff.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Della -

Baked wings can be good, but I have never had any that hold a candle to the pure bliss of the traditional deep fried ones. Deep frying seems to be the only way to get moist meat and crispy skin at one time.

Sandy -

Rotel isn't easy to find in Philly? I see cans of the stuff at most of the supermarkets in northern DE in the hispanic section... I always figured it was a national brand.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Onion dip made with sour cream and Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Classic, and messy - guaranteed to end up in the carpet.

Marcia.

Passable alternate version with ingredients you may already have in your spice rack:

1 pint sour cream

2 tablespoons dried minced onion

1 tablespoon instant beef boullion

Mix well. Chill one hour. Serve.

Della -

Baked wings can be good, but I have never had any that hold a candle to the pure bliss of the traditional deep fried ones.  Deep frying seems to be the only way to get moist meat and crispy skin at one time. 

I've usually baked mine as well. I'll have to try this. But do they then take the wing sauce properly? (There's a bar near me that serves up 10c wings every Saturday--unsauced but seasoned (choices: Cajun, garlic, Old Bay). They're definitely deep-fried -- and very good.)

Sandy -

Rotel isn't easy to find in Philly?  I see cans of the stuff at most of the supermarkets in northern DE in the hispanic section... I always figured it was a national brand.

Maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places. The Super Cruise had them for a while, then discontinued them (the Super Cruise is on the small side for a modern supermarket--about 15-20k sq ft--but it's at least twice the size of the next two closest supermarkets (the Food Rite @ 15th and Spruce and the Super Fresh @ 5th and Pine).

The Passyunk and Reed Acme is bigger and may still have them. There's a growing Mexican population in the area, so I might have better luck finding authentic Tex-Mex items there. Generally speaking, though, when it comes to brands, in the local supermarkets, Hispanic means Goya. (I believe that South Philly Acme carries some Vitarroz products too.)

Sandy - They take the sauce just fine. Which bar is this? It might be worth driving to Philly to watch some games and enjoy 10 cent old bay wings.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Sandy - They take the sauce just fine.  Which bar is this?  It might be worth driving to Philly to watch some games and enjoy 10 cent old bay wings.

Key West (207 South Juniper Street). Named "Friendliest Gay Bar" in Philadelphia Magazine's 1993 "Best of Philly" issue. Currently the default black gay bar in town, but everyone's welcome. (Edited to add: It's also the place to be if you're a gay Eagles fan--the crowd in the sports bar gets really worked up, and there's a free halftime buffet. If I were the owner, I'd institute a $2 door charge good towards your first drink to keep out the riffraff coming in for the free food, but I'm not.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)