• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RE: Fudge

phifly04

Please help me out with a very good basic fudge recipe.i know there are a ton on the internet but i would like to make a "no doubt" recipe to impress family for the holidays

Thanks

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

actually the easiest fudge recpie u will ever find is right on the back of the jars of the kraft marshmallow cream..while i make mine from scratch as much as possible...im no stranger to that recipe and it works every time

a recipe is merely a suggestion

ladyyoung, have you checked out that recipe in the last couple of years? I only ask because I was told just this morning that the recipe has been changed, and not for the better.

Here's the original Kraft Marshmallow Creme "Fantasy Fudge" Recipe. I've never made it myself, but I hear it's good...

Fantasy Fudge

3 cups sugar

3/4 cup margarine

2/3 cup evaporated milk

1 12-oz. (340 g) package semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 7-oz. (198 g) jar Kraft Marshmallow creme

1 cup chopped nuts

1 tablespoon vanilla

Traditional method:

Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 1/2 qt. saucepan; bring to full rolling bail, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate till melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts & vanilla beat till blended. Pour into greased 13x9 inch pan. Let cool and serve.

Microwave method:

Microwave margarine in 4-quart microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) 1 minute or until melted. Add sugar and milk; mix well. Microwave on HIGH 5 minutes or until mixture begins to boil, stirring after 3 minutes. Mix well; scrape bowl. Continue microwaving on HIGH 5 1/2 minutes; stir after 3 minutes. Stir in chips until melted. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into greased 9-inch square pan or 13x9-inch baking pan. Cool at room temperature; cut into squares. Makes 3 pounds.

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

Thanks guys and gals but im looking for just straight chocolate fudge,no nuts,jimmies,marshmallows or other add ins/ons,like from down the jersey shore in da summer time

Thanks,

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Hi

I made the old fashioned milk chocolate fudge a couple of years ago(posted above) and I was not impressed with it.

The fudge recipe I make is maple pecan fudge-not what you are looking for but really good old fashioned fudge(cream, brown sugar, maple syrup, yum!)-made a batch yesterday.

Sandra

Edited by momlovestocook (log)

Even I can make this stuff:

Microwave Fudge

3 cups miniature marshmallows

2 ¾ cups semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate chips (buy 2 bags)

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 ½ teaspoons vanilla

dash of salt

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a large glass bowl, pour in the marshmallows. Put the chocolate chips on top of the marshmallows. Pour on the sweetened condensed milk. (It seems to melt better when stacked up like this.)

Microwave on 50% power for about two minutes at a time, stirring between each minute, until all is melted and blended. This will take about 8 to 10 minutes total depending upon your microwave. (Hint: When I used a silicone spatula, the goo didn’t seem to stick to it as badly.)

Stir in vanilla, salt and nuts. Pour into an 8” x 8” pan that is lined with wax paper. Don’t fuss with any cut and fit business with the wax paper. Just put an oversized piece of wax paper on the pan, plop the mass in the middle, and spread the fudge out. You can garnish the surface with nuts, coconut or whatever at this point by pressing into the surface. Let it sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until firm. Cut into squares.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm making fudge right now for about the third time this month. I always use the Chocolate Fudge recipe from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. "Old fashioned basic fudge, smooth and chocolaty." 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, in small pieces or 4 tablespoons cocoa 2 cups sugar 3/4 cup milk 2 tablespoons light corn syrup 2 tablespoons butter in small pieces 2 teaspoons vanilla Oil a jelly roll pan or 8x8 inch pan. Combine the chocolate, sugar, milk and corn syrup in a 3qt heavy pot, stirring to blend all ingredients. Set over low heat and, stirring slowly, bring to a boil. Cover pot and let let boil 2-3 minutes. Uncover and wash down sides of the pot with a pastry brush dipped in cold water,(I never do that part), then continue to boil until the syrup reaches the soft ball stage(234F) . Remove from heat , add the butter without stirring and set on a cooling surface or rack. Do not stir until the syrup is lukewarm(110F)then add vanilla and stir without stopping until the mixture loses it's gloss and thickens. Pour into the oiled pan and mark into squares. When firm, cut into pieces and store in an airtight container. I use and highly recommend an instant read digital termometer.

I've decided that fudge recipes are nuthing, just nutttthhhing. Marshmallows and stuff I don't understand, I admit it. The whole confectionery thing is about precise proportions, dry weather, and in the case of fudge, allowing the cooked fudge to stand until lukewarm.

I rarely make fudge now that I have discovered this, because I've found that the way I used to make fudge (stirring the hell out of it all through the process, then tossing the pot on the floor and using a jackhammer to chip the fudge out) produced fudge that was gritty, but undeniably set hard. The Correct Method produces exquisitely creamy fudge, but is much more susceptible to vagaries such as humidity, exact maximum temperature achieved etc etc.

There's no winning. It is cloudy and damp here, and I expect it to remain so until after the last date when I could possibly make fudge for Christmas gifts.

Cheat Code...make an Indian style burfee fudge using gram flour, or some other cereal flour or ground seed such as ground sesame.