• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Steak frites in Manhattan

dvs

• 4 months later...

Could you tell me who has the best steak frites and why? Preferably a nicer restaurant. Thanks!

Moderator's note: This post was merged with a preexisting thread on steak frites in Manhattan.

Edited by Pan (log)

My #1 vote goes to Les Halles, and my #2 is Tartine.

Balthazar and Pastis do a credible job, albeit with a bit more hype, and I've had a good version at Florent too.

Of course it depends on what you're looking for. The version I prefer is an aged hanger steak with a bit of sauce au poivre.

Edited by Felonius (log)

Does Balthazar offer a hanger steak (or "onglet" as they say in most French bistros)? If I remember correctly their steak frites is a sirloin cut.

Balthazar.  For the price, a darn good steak and awesome frites.

Tartine Tartine TARTINE TARTINE.

PERIOD.

...actually I like the steak frites at Landmarc and Pastis, too.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Does Balthazar offer a hanger steak (or "onglet" as they say in most French bistros)?  If I remember correctly their steak frites is a sirloin cut.

I'm not sure. They have three steak frites things...one is a bar steak which I have no clue what that is, the next is steak frites, which my daughter and friend got and tasted like round maybe, then there is steak au poivre with frites, which may be hanger, and to really splurge...there is the cote du beouf for 2 which is an unfriggingly beliveably good rib steak.

Does Balthazar offer a hanger steak (or "onglet" as they say in most French bistros)?  If I remember correctly their steak frites is a sirloin cut.

The foreward in the Balthazar Cookbook says that they use top butt for the steak frites.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

To me, a classic steak frites should be hanger or "onglet" as served in most old-school French bistros. It's a cheaper cut with lots of flavor if prepared properly. Often there will also be a choice of sirloin or "faux-filet" for a few extra dollars. Tartine and Les Halles offer both choices, and are faithful renditions of the the Parisian original.