• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner Plates

woodburner

I have Wedgwood Lotus, which went out of production almost immediately after we bought it 28 years ago.  We need replacements for several pieces, but it's just too expensive.

Have you tried Ebay? You can ask Ebay to send you email notices of all auctions for Wedgwood Lotus (maybe some auctions will be too expensive - but perhaps others won't). Robyn

I have real weird assortments of sets for everyday, but my goodies are Spode Billingsley Rose in Mansard Pink. Very plain, very comforting. I have always wanted Portmeirion Hephaistion. It's so gorgeous.

spaghetttti, I absolutely adore your number two pattern. I am greatly attracted to intricate and subtly sensuous, and that fits that bill to a T.

Why does everything I like get discontinued? I have Lenox's "Moonstone" and Mikasa's "Charisma Black." Just found out that my crystal has also been discontinued. It is Royal Doulton "Wellesley." Just beautiful glassware.

If anyone here is interested in white china, my mother had a set of Rosenthal "Maria." There are 195 pieces. My mother originally bought a service for 12 while we were living in Germany in the 1960s. Later, in the 70s, they went back for a visit and bought another 10 place settings. Plus most of the serving pieces.

When we had to sell her house and furnishings, we couldin't sell it for what I considered a reasonable price so we packed up the china and it is with my sister in Houston. She was supposed to put it on consignment, but I don't think she's done anything.

Send me an email and make an offer.

Because you would not appropriately appreciate it until you broke one and wanted to replace it!! Or to give the replacement guys something to do? You would be depriving folks of an income!! We want china---they want bucks---the ancient Sumerian barter system.

Aw, jeez, I totally forgot about the Franciscan Cherokee Rose with the green band, it is packed up. It came from gram, and I am too fearful of using it before I have a rubber table and floor (hee hee)!

Edited by Mabelline (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I haven't looked to see if this was mentioned in this discussion yet but to those of you who need replacement pieces, have you tried searching at Replacements, Ltd?

They have the Wedgwood Lotus pattern.

edited to add that they also list crystal & silver replacements, too.

edited again to add a link to another site in Canada that offers replacement pieces for china: Old China Patterns Limited

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

How good to see that so many of you have piles and piles of plates! My daughter always says I could feed 70 people before it became necessary to wash a plate. I have two sets of vintage plates: Hall China in the Springtime pattern and Blue Ridge Dixie Dogwood, three sets of Corelle (plain white, the one with the little green flowers from the 70's, and one with mauve rings around the edges), and some brown ironstone I bought for 39 cents per piece in the late 60's. I love them all and use them all. My favorite sizes are the 6-inch bread plates (for all the varieties above) that I use for snacking and the soup plates (at least 30 of these in four different patterns). It's really pathetic! lkm

Thanks for that link, Curlz. Cusina, I love those dishes. I'm a stoneware girl myself. Although for a lot of everyday meals/snacks we still use the plain white Corelle my grandmother gave me when my son was about eight (he's 32 now), so that speaks well for that! I have managed to break one plate over the past 20+ years. Must have landed just wrong on the kitchen floor (concrete base). :shock:

But I have Frankoma ware I inherited from my mother that the folks bought when we moved to TX when I was 4 yrs old. Not a full set by any means :laugh: but still my favorite. My Frankoma looks like this. And I would go on ebay to look this up. :laugh: Now I've found about a dozen pieces/combos to add to this that I really want! I'd take that set (even with the weird gold bowls) in a snap even though it has repeaters. :wub:

Besides that I have a plain solid-color set in stoneware -- deep pumpkin, sage green, maize, cream -- we use often that was a gift from Mom recently. Also set of 12 glass luncheon plates, bowls, fruit cups. And a significqnt collection of hand-thrown pottery from pottery artists I've known. So I like to mix and match complementary pieces.

None of this includes the four sets I've given to the kids or friends in the past several years. Nor the set I handed down of 12 beautiful signed and dated 1911 Havilland dinner plates from my grandmother. I used that china so seldom I passed it on to a kid who would. :rolleyes:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I thought I'd share our dishware -- from a different era and toward a different end. Under the duck pieces you can see the classic Blue Heaven markings on this serving dish:

gallery_19804_437_1104417451.jpg

Does anyone else use vintage stuff?

I remember that pattern. :biggrin:

Chris, check out the Frankoma link my post above. My dishes are from the 50s and earlier. I have a lot of those pieces -- dinner plates, cups, mugs, and serving bowl. Also the sugar bowl (including lid) and creamer (apparently bought from some of the original late 30s stock) and these:

soup bowls and luncheon/salad plates

gallery_12550_103_1104067314.jpg

"steak" plates

gallery_12550_103_1099225305.jpg

and this tureen on the left (the dark green casserole is one of several pieces I have made by a potter friend from the early 80s; various glazes from her, whatever I liked at the moment) :rolleyes:

gallery_12550_164_1101034214.jpg

Some of my potter's pieces (soup mug, cup and serving plate in one glaze).That's one thing nice about having a plain white set, to mix with the colors I have.

gallery_12550_164_1104504211.jpg

So the pottery is only twenty years in service, not quite vintage, and certainly not china! Maybe just old. :raz::laugh:

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Love Benton-

Have you ever seen Luna Garcia? I posted the link above, but here is another picture w/ all their colors: http://www.lunagarcia.com/lunacolors.php Their pottery is exquisite; deep rich colors, all just slightly irregular so you can tell it is hand-thrown. Each piece is signed.

They use it for breakfast at The Post Ranch Inn (they also sell it there-at marked up prices); I lusted after it for years after just one meal there, and finally bought it fo my 50th birthday present.

Luna Garcia has terrific 25% off sales twice a year; that's how I am collecting mine.

This picture looks a little better-you can see how it mixes and matches: http://www.lunagarcia.com/index.php?cPath=23 I have a set of their black square plates, in addition to about half the colors.

Edited by marie-louise (log)

Love Benton-

Have you ever seen Luna Garcia? I posted the link  above, but here is another picture w/ all their colors: http://www.lunagarcia.com/lunacolors.php Their pottery is exquisite; deep rich colors, all just slightly irregular so you can tell it is hand-thrown. Each piece is signed.

They use it for breakfast at The Post Ranch Inn (they also sell it there-at marked up prices); I lusted after it for years after just one meal there, and finally bought it fo my 50th birthday present.

Luna Garcia has terrific 25% off sales twice a year; that's how I am collecting mine.

This picture looks a little better-you can see how it mixes and matches: http://www.lunagarcia.com/index.php?cPath=23  I have a set of their black square plates, in addition to about half the colors.

Well, those are lovely! My kind of dishes. :rolleyes: Then of course I had to go nuts and look at everything. :laugh: Wow! Love their style. But my dog's gonna have to wait for that $70 doggie dish! :blink::laugh:

Judith Love

... my dog's gonna have to wait for that $70 doggie dish!  :blink:  :laugh:

Yes, my cat's are still waiting for theirs as well. But as you can see from my avatar, one of them makes himself at home in a green long narrow platter. :shock: He's also quite fond of sitting in one of their large pasta serving bowls... despite 10 years of my insisting it is not okay to get up on the kitchen counters.

I don't have the china "bug" so many others do but do have my prefeences. Living near a restaurant china producer (Syracuse China) has its benefits. Every summer they have a tent sale with carts and pallettes full of seconds, discontinued styles and overstocks. Most of it is very heavy but when one gets a white oval dinner plate with nice clean lines for 50 cents there's little to complain about. Every now and then I find an interesting specialty piece marked down. The latest are teardrop shaped plates in both white and black - a set of one each nested together makes a perfect yin-yang symbol but I remain puzzled by what food combination will best utilize these.

phaelon56: Lucky you, living near the Syracuse factory. I collect Hall china...but it's more what

I think of as restaurant ware. Love it. Nearly indestructible (although I did break my favorite

white baker just the other day...but it would have been in a million pieces instead of just a small hunk out of it with any other company's after the way I managed to dump it into an empty sink). When we're out antiquing, we often find neat Syracuse stuff (but I can't let myself collect anything more in the way of kitchen ware). lkm