• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Rivers - Providence

Tonyy13

I just want to give a big old shoutout to Bruce Tillinghast (sp?) and his restaurant New Rivers. I think that in a region that has so many great restaurants, Bruce is doing something very cool in his small restaurant near the river in downtown Providence. His food is great, his atmosphere is awesome, and is help is incredible. Never one to be too uptight, Bruce is the coolest guy in town, he might even be working the bar in a pair of jeans and the ever present bow tie. I just think that good things should happen to good people, and I think Bruce deserves a big push from any and all eGulleters in the Providence Area. I am feening for his food now that I have moved to FLA.

Anyone else out there have an incredible New Rivers Story?

PS Make sure you try the spread that he sends out with the bread at first. It is awesome, and something that I have never been able to duplicate. Oh... almost forgot, if you don't eat the lemon tart at the end of your meal, you will have to go back. Sorry, it's required to have it at least once in your life, so you know what lemon tart is supposed to taste like. Alright, off my soap box now...

TA

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

• 8 months later...
i agree, and have never, ever had a bad meal there. it has a great "feel" to the place, and consistently outstanding service.

Dropped off my D to a college in Providence and we had a wonderful dinner at New Rivers. Will certainly make Parents Weekend much more enjoyable in October.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

• 1 year later...

We were stopping by for dinner on Monday & found out they are currently closed due to a kitchen fire. Did happen to see Bruce -- he is dealing with all the insurance issues, etc that go with these things. Not sure when he'll be re-opening.

• 4 weeks later...