• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green bean salad?

Allura

For some weird reason, my aunt has decided to make only cold salads as side dishes for Christmas Eve dinner. I suspect it's because she doesn't have any space on her stove - this is otherwise a traditional Italian meal of fish. Spaghetti w/ clams, spaghetti with calamari, all sorts of fried, grilled, etc fish. So anyway, when asked what I should bring, I was told a "cold green bean salad". The catch, of course, is that I don't know how to cook. :blink: I can follow any recipe, but I can't develop them. Even simple things, I tend to go overboard with spicing. Add to this the fact that I don't particularly care for salads myself, and that makes it harder. Could anyone give me ideas, particularly ones that include measurements?

Thanks!

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I make one occasionally that goes something like this (no real recipe):

green beans cooked but still crispy

sliced red onion

crumbled blue cheese

a nice homemade vinaigrette--use whatever you like

You can add other things according to taste: capers, green peppercorns, pimento or roasted red pepper, chopped boiled egg, etc.

This can be served chilled or at room temp.

Deb

Liberty, MO

My experience with green bean salads is that the green beans wilt and turn that unattractive olive gray if they're exposed to acid for too long. I recommend you bring the beans (combined with other solid ingredients) in one container, and the dressing in a separate container. Toss right before serving.

Cold green bean salad is a traditional recipe in my Sicilian family. The problem is that you need to start out with good, tender green beans. You can cook the beans French style in lots of salted water so they return to a quick boil. Then quickly shock them in ice water. (I usually steam mine but that would be difficult if you are cooking for a large group.) I like the beans fully cooked with just a bit of crunch. Then refrigerate until ready to use if it is not to be served soon. (But try them at room temperature when you get a chance. I think the flavor is much nicer.)

I agree that it is best to add the dressing at the last minute because the beans will turn gray and soak up too much acid.

Just before serving, add salt and pepper, a little very nice olive oil and an acid such as red wine vinegar, combination of wine vinegar and lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar. Thinly sliced red onion is nice with this. Just bring a little container of the dressing and a separate dish of beans to simplify serving.

I am not sure of measurements but I think the usual formula for oil to vinegar is 3 to 1. Sample it as you go so that it is agreeable to you. You want just enough to accent the vegetable; don't overdo the dressing.

Roasted green beans! You have to try this - it's my favorite way to eat cold beans.

Toss the beans with a little olive oil and some coarse salt. Spread on one or two baking sheets, it should be a single layer (or almost) Roast in hot oven (200 C) for about half an hour. They will look a bit blistered.

The roasting brings out their nutty flavor.. it's really delicious.

Mix with tomatoes (raw, or roasted for about 10 minutes with the beans). For herbs: parsley is good, fresh marjoram, or in summer, lots of fresh basil.

You can also roast some garlic cloves along with the beans. A dressing with balsamic vinegar is great. Goat's cheese crumbled on top is good! Or slivers of good parmesan!

But if you want to keep it really simple, just make the roasted beans, with some salt & pepper, a drizzle of oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar, and you are in green bean heaven.

For some weird reason, my aunt has decided to make only cold salads as side dishes for Christmas Eve dinner.  I suspect it's because she doesn't have any space on her stove - this is otherwise a traditional Italian meal of fish.  Spaghetti w/ clams, spaghetti with calamari, all sorts of fried, grilled, etc fish.  So anyway, when asked what I should bring, I was told a "cold green bean salad".  The catch, of course, is that I don't know how to cook.  :blink:  I can follow any recipe, but I can't develop them.  Even simple things, I tend to go overboard with spicing. Add to this the fact that I don't particularly care for salads myself, and that makes it harder.  Could anyone give me ideas, particularly ones that include measurements? 

Thanks!

does it have to be homemade?

can you purchase ?

e.g. if you are in the US, local whole foods or other higher-end grocery

store should have some.

if not in the US, your local equivalent?

milagai

My favourite green bean salad is from Roger Verge (I think):

Boil green beans until still a little bit squeaky and refresh in cold water.

Mix 2 or 3 tbsp of double (heavy) cream with the juice of half a lemon, a small teaspoon of Dijon mustard, some salt and pepper and a little fresh chervil (optional).

Dress the beans in this liquid and sprinkle on some finely sliced hazelnuts, toasted in a heavy pan until golden brown.

Wow, lots of great ideas. I've got to think about it some more. I'm thinking something with some tomatoes, although they'll be vastly out of season here in NJ. Maybe some red pepper or red onion - want to get some color in there somehow, to make it a bit festive.

Ok, time to let this all stew in the back of my head for a bit. Thanks!

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

If you roast the beans, you could roast some red peppers with them.

I am really urging you to try these roasted beans! Don't want to be pushy but you will not believe how great they taste!

(ok I'll shut up about them now)