• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network, admit they suck

goshi

I miss the 'classic' episodes....old black and white  Julia,  James Beard,  Dione Lucas....Galloping Gourmet...they only showed that stuff at the VERY beginning,  no?

As late as a year or two ago they showed Julia and Galloping Gourmet at about 3:00/3:30am CST. I wish they would show them again. At least Julia.

I love this stuff too. For years I've wished for an "all-reruns" Food History type channel, not unlike the way Nickelodeon and TVLand repurpose old syndicated sitcoms and Westerns. The old stuff is charming, culturally interesting, and for many of us, new.

Unfortunately, many of the old Julia shows were shot live - no tape. If you didn't get to watch them the first time around, you're out of luck! But others from the 70's and 80's still are kicking around in public broadcasting and library archives.

Is anyone else as tired of Emeril as I am? The FN must be conceding the 8 o'clock hour to other channels. His kitchen techique is so pedestrian.

I hope that the FN is searching/grooming other kitchen talents for their own programs.

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson

I am tired of Emeril but because he is over-exposed, I think his food is alright (nothing to sell your eggs for) and you're right...how many Emerathons does Food Network have to pile on?

However the most annoying personality on that channel is that idiot guy who does "The Secret Life of..." I forgot his name, I think it's JimBob JamJoke O'HollaranCanaughave O' Sheep brains McStupid.

He grimaces like Carrot Top and his delivery is so cheezy and terrible, I have seen better acting on the Spice Channel. In fact, it is so bad, it makes Marcus Summers much more tolerable.

I always wished someone (maybe the boom guy) would "accidentally" splash one of those gooey desserts or something liquidy all over him when he goes, "...and that's Unwrapped!"

Can you see him screaming as he combs the carpet fibers to one side? And then he checks to see if the door is locked EXACTLY three times. All in a gooey mess as he screams.

As long as we're talking Food TV (and alternatives), I had to bring this to everyone's attention. It's Russ Parsons in the LA Times. I nearly spit my iced coffee over my keyboard reading this!

IT'S a moment you're not likely to see on the Food Channel: The host, a famous chef, chokes on a rotten scallop in the alley behind the restaurant, then turns on the hapless cook with a string of bleeped-out expletives that makes Tony Bourdain sound like Captain Kangaroo.

Welcome to "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmare," a new four-part series on BBC America...

I really want to see this now. I may have to get BBC America for this, although I could do without the endless reruns of "Keeping Up Appearances."

Edit: here's the link to the full article.

Edited by alacarte (log)

Since we are mentioning alternatives, is anyone watching "Friends for Dinner" on the Discovery Home Channel? Originally a BBC show, it features famous British chefs like Gordon Ramsay, Gary Rhodes, Ainsley Harriott, Madhur Jaffray et al. They invade the home of an experienced amateur cook, give them a highly difficult menu to cook from their own books, and the rest of the show is watching the cook sweat it out, the chef patiently (or, not so much) taking cell phone calls all day from the cook, and the friends being interviewed as to how high the cook's head is going to go when it pops off.

It is actually kind of inspiring. Sort of, "well, if they can do it..."

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Since we are mentioning alternatives, is anyone watching "Friends for Dinner" on the Discovery Home Channel?  Originally a BBC show, it features famous British chefs like Gordon Ramsay, Gary Rhodes, Ainsley Harriott, Madhur Jaffray et al.  They invade the home of an experienced amateur cook, give them a highly difficult menu to cook from their own books, and the rest of the show is watching the cook sweat it out, the chef patiently (or, not so much) taking cell phone calls all day from the cook, and the friends being interviewed as to how high the cook's head is going to go when it pops off.

It is actually kind of inspiring.  Sort of, "well, if they can do it..."

I have this vague sensation of having seen a program that featured Ainsley Harriott making house calls on unsuspecting cooks on an American cable or broadcast channel not too long ago. I remember that he had one of those huge smiles, an ebullient personality and an infectious enthusiasm.

I also see from the BBC web site that Harriott is the current host of the original British beat-the-clock cooking game, "Ready Steady Cook".

He'd make a good addition to the Food Network lineup if they could agree on something for him to do. He'd also make Al Roker less of a token.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Gordon Elliot used to do Doorknock Dinners, which was similar, in that a camera crew and a chef invaded homes of unsuspecting suburbanites.

Except the chef would cook, generally using whatever he could find in the kitchen... But if it was bad enough, they would make a grocery run... The Iron Chef episode was pretty much a train wreck, and I want to say I saw Tyler Florence do one...

And Ainsley Harriott is just plain aggravating. the whole dancing thing while he's flipping the pans... Puhleeze :rolleyes:

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone catch Emril last night?He was doing something with flank steak (which I love, so I watched for awhile) however, he kept saying it was called London Broil when he was growing up.As far back as I remember London Broil has always been about an inch thick and never confused with flank steak.Is this a regional thing? I can't believe someone whose been around food their whole life would confuse the two.Any thoughts?

I watched The Food Channel continuously from the begining.

I rarely tune in now.

Simply it sucks.

Yes, Alton is good.

Yes, Emeril has been overexposed for years.

What I am watching now is the FINE channel

on satellite, with Chicarelo, Ming et.a.

I am watching Lidia and Jaques on PBS,

and what I consider a really good one on

BBC, where a chef takes on a restaurant in

distress and tries to make the kitchen a success.

I would tell you the name of the show but at my

tender age of 40 something I just cannot come up

with it. It is really good and I am sure someone

younger knows the name.

I will probably tune in to Iron Chef America but

the bottom line for me is (excuse or don't the language),

but the Food Network has turned to shit.

Could you please provide the name of this BBC show where the chef tries to overhaul a failing restaurant? Sounds pretty interesting...

Another interesting show is "Opening Soon" on Fine Living, but I think they are mostly repeats now. Maybe a new season soon...

Could you please provide the name of this BBC show where the chef tries to overhaul a failing restaurant?  Sounds pretty interesting...

I would guess that its Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares...theres a thread about it somewhere.

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

IT'S a moment you're not likely to see on the Food Channel: The host, a famous chef, chokes on a rotten scallop in the alley behind the restaurant, then turns on the hapless cook with a string of bleeped-out expletives that makes Tony Bourdain sound like Captain Kangaroo.

Welcome to "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmare," a new four-part series on BBC America...

Ah yes, that's a brilliant episode! I absolutely love Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. I watch it with glee and laugh heartily at every episode. The rotten scallop episode was at Bonapartes in Silsden. The "chef", a 21 year old with a relatively oafish personality, is mince meat when Ramsay rolls through to fix their helpless operation.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up watching the very old food tv with the two hot tamales( loved that show and the restaurants) cooking live, and all those other great shows.

Now I live in Canada and Im subjected to Canada's version of Sandra Lee..... let me introduce Sandra Richard( thats pronounced the french way). She goes into ppl's homes, gives them a meal plan, uses these stupid magnets of food and appliances and women and men to show each couple who and what they will cook each week. Her specialties include chicken tenders dipped in cornflake crumbs and leftover mashed spuds rolled in cornflake crumbs( do we see a theme here?)

I cant believe she has a show.

We also have a lot of the same American shows, Ina, Emeril( cant stand him, refuse to watch him), Alton, Tyler, etc.

I absolutly love Jamie and Nigella. I dont think I've ever gotten sick of either of those two.

If I dont like who's on, I just watch something else. I love America's test kitchen on PBS, I wish that was on more often.

Just wanted to say that I like BF Contessa also. I think that it is the same production company that produced the Nigella Bites series - so it always looks terrific. The food looks easy and Ina has a good food "voice" (unfortunately - the vocabulary always seems to contain 3 sticks of butter). BTW, her husband (I think) is the Dean of Yale Business School and that's why he is never around - they are both busy people. I believe that Ina started life as a Nuclear Policy anaylyst in the White House before getting into food.

I am in Canada and FN Canada's hosts always look super mean. They had some promo's from the guys on "Man Made Food" and he was trying so hard to smile - but he looked like all he wanted to do was rip you a new asshole.

• 1 year later...

What's with all the "traveling" shows on the Food Network? I've just seen a promo for the new "Giada's Weekend Getaways". From the Food Network website:

Are you a food lover looking for a weekend getaway? Then join Giada De Laurentiis when she heads to cities and towns that are ideal for a three-day, food-filled weekend. From LA to NYC, Seattle to Cabo, Jackson Hole to Miami, Giada's searching for the inside scoop on local activities and must-try eats in each town.

Hello? Isn't Chris Cognac already doing this?

And didn't Rachel Ray do this on "$40 (and bad tips) a Day"?

Or Rachel Ray in "Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels"?

Or Paula Deen's sons in "Road Tasted"?

Or Bobby Flay in "FoodNation with Bobby Flay"?

Or Mario Batali in "Ciao America with Mario Batali?

Or Alton Brown in "Feasting on Asphalt"?

Or Dave Lieberman in "Dave Does"?

Or Al Roker in "Roker on the Road"?

Or George Duran in "Ham on the Street"?

What's next?

"Paula Deen Hits the High Seas" where she tastes all the buffets on a Carnival Cruise ship?

:blink:

Talk about beating a dead horse...it's turning into a one-concept network. The lack of ingenuity and innovation seems to be more and more evident with each new show.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yes, but after 4am, they re-broadcast something quite original from their road series - "Debbie Does Dallas."

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I'v got to admit that I watch the food network- enjoy the challenges and competitions more that the old shows. I like Giada because any of her receipies I have cooked have come out great. I think Emeril and Rachael Ray have simply been overexposed. So usually it's background noise while I'm making dinner or relaxing after a 12 hour shift- But if No Reservations is on the Travel Channel I'm there instead. :biggrin:

ksoss

The road shows bored me to tears and I only collectively watched a few episodes. The only "road" show I would watch again is if they brought back Food Finds. Some of the finds inspired me to try some new ways of looking at old favorites - but I'll be darned if I can't remember a single one at the moment beyond one I didn't pursue, smoked tomatoes from Texas. As much as I enjoy Giada's Everday Italian when I happen to catch it, I couldn't care less about her 3-day weekend show.

I am an unashamed fan of Alton Brown/Good Eats. However, I only made it part way through the first episode of "Feasting on Asphalt." My eager anticipation of this show had a head-on collision with the actual show.

For road shows I'll stick with John Rattzenberger's Made in America on the Travel Channel. It reminds me of a show from my childhood called Ralph Story's LA which did "highlight" shows of local businesses and attractions and such.

Ah to bring back Martha Stewart in the 11:00 p.m. slot. My wife and I enjoyed mocking her for her ridiculous repetition of "use only the finest (insert ingredient here)." Maybe someone should have told her "use only the finest brokers" :raz: .

Porthos Potwatcher

The Unrlenting Carnivore

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

ENOUGH with Emeril and Rachael Ray. Ms. Ray is glorious but how many shows does she need in one week? and Emeril is -- you can only take so much BAM.

Let's see some other folks. And PLEASE cover the Bocuse d'Or this year.

Please excuse the over-large Fonts -- But maybe the people at the Food Network are watching. At least that is my hope.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I have found peace in refusing to get upset about outcomes that are predictable and understandable. FN is a money-making enterprise. They make money be driving ratings. You drive ratings through mass appeal. So, we can be disappointed that shows like Jacques Torres creating masterful chocolate creations doesn't draw the audience that "Behind the Bash" does, but it is somewhat predictable.

What do you think sells more copies: Food Arts or People? We know the answer. We live in a commercial, capital driven society. It has its good points and there is a darker side, too.

Having said that, it's the same imperfect society where thousands of people connect on a site like this. Very highly targeted. Clearly, though, were it not for membership, donations, etc., eGullet couldn't be here either.

If you ever feel like creating a series of video podcasts or YouTube videos for the hardcore foodies, give me a shout and I'll pitch in!

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I agree, FN needs to put more hardcore food stuff on their line ups. Heck, even if its on late night, like the original Iron Chef! Thats when most chefs get a chance to even watch TV!!

With all the amazing restaurants opening in America, I am shocked the Food Network still makes shows about traveling around to mom and pop joints. I understand they cater more to home cooks than professionals, but Its the FOOD NETWORK for cryin out loud there should be a balance......look at the cartoon network, they've got Adult Swim!

What's with all the "traveling" shows on the Food Network? I've just seen a promo for the new "Giada's Weekend Getaways". From the Food Network website:
Are you a food lover looking for a weekend getaway? Then join Giada De Laurentiis when she heads to cities and towns that are ideal for a three-day, food-filled weekend. From LA to NYC, Seattle to Cabo, Jackson Hole to Miami, Giada's searching for the inside scoop on local activities and must-try eats in each town.

Hello? Isn't Chris Cognac already doing this?

And didn't Rachel Ray do this on "$40 (and bad tips) a Day"?

Or Rachel Ray in "Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels"?

Or Paula Deen's sons in "Road Tasted"?

Or Bobby Flay in "FoodNation with Bobby Flay"?

Or Mario Batali in "Ciao America with Mario Batali?

Or Alton Brown in "Feasting on Asphalt"?

Or Dave Lieberman in "Dave Does"?

Or Al Roker in "Roker on the Road"?

Or George Duran in "Ham on the Street"?

What's next?

"Paula Deen Hits the High Seas" where she tastes all the buffets on a Carnival Cruise ship?

:blink:

Talk about beating a dead horse...it's turning into a one-concept network. The lack of ingenuity and innovation seems to be more and more evident with each new show.

It really is baffling why we need another "let's check out the eats in Des Moines" show. ...hold on there we don't need it but FTV does. They've said it so many times before, they are shooting for the lowest common denominator. PERIOD. They'll keep making this mind numbing jusnk as long people keep watching it. Same reason why we'll have SAW13 coming out in theatres in 2010. People pay money to watch it!

I'd rather watch re-runs of Good Eats than any of these shows above. I do enjoy Iron Chef America as well actually. But for a travel/food show with a host I actually think does it right and dares to head to more interesting locals and bitch about the shitty stinky shark in Iceland and dumb "daiquiries" in Porto Rico it's No Reservations on the Travel Channel.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog