• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latin American Gastronomy

Hi everybody, I'm planning for the future (maybe in a year or so) to take a trip around Latin America to learn traditional recipes to help me when I open a restaurant, and to hopefully write a book on what I've seen. My first two goals are Mexico and Peru, and I will probably go to the latter first. So I was wondering if anybody in the forum has any ideas on where could I go to accomplish my goal. I would aslo like to know if there's any particular people I should meet while I'm there. I don't want to go blind to Peru. I would like to know there's somebody there to show me the real Peruvian Cuisine. Thanks

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

I read your post on traveling to Peru and Mexico, specially interested in

the first one for a culinary trip and I thought I should also tell you a bit

a bout Argentina and it's great cuisine! Argentina, alike Peru, Bolivia and

Chile are part of the Andes corridor beign together tied by the former Inca

empire... We share similar culinary traditions and each country has

readapted them a bit... it's of great interest to the pallat and the mind!

I'd be glad to fill you in any detail you might want...

And of course, I couldn't leave Buenos Aires aside, for we're currently

experiencing a great development within the gourmet world... not only cooks

and chefs but also the people who consume that food!

Anyway, don't hesitate to ask if you're interested in the proposal. Cheers

from BA, Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there!

I read your post on traveling to Peru and Mexico, specially interested in

the first one for a culinary trip and I thought I should also tell you a bit

a bout Argentina and it's great cuisine! Argentina, alike Peru, Bolivia and

Chile are part of the Andes corridor beign together tied by the former Inca

empire... We share similar culinary traditions and each country has

readapted them a bit... it's of great interest to the pallat and the mind!

I'd be glad to fill you in any detail you might want...

And of course, I couldn't leave Buenos Aires aside, for we're currently

experiencing a great development within the gourmet world... not only cooks

and chefs but also the people who consume that food!

Anyway, don't hesitate to ask if you're interested in the proposal. Cheers

from BA, Bob

Sorry I took so long to read your post. I'm, indeed, interested in Argentina as well. I had just planned to begin my research in Peru, because I'm particularly attracted to their cuisine (causas, ceviches, tacu tacus, picarones, ajies, etc). But I might travel to Buenos Aires in May of this year to visit a good friend, so I can star tmy research there. If you know about places to go and people to meet, I will be grateful. It will even be an excuse to stay a few extra days in that city I love so much. BTW, you are in Buenos Aires, correct? Are you Argentino? Because we can have this conversation in spanish, if you prefer. Thanks fot the offer!

Edited by godito (log)

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

• 1 month later...

I'll be travelling to Peru in early June to study the cuisine. If you are going to be there around that time, we could coordinate our research. More generally, if anyone has recommendations for where to go while in Peru, they would be much appreciated.

Although its been many years, I highly recommend Copacabana on Lake Titicaca waaaayyy up on the Altiplano.

An amazing little town with spectacular cultural events, blessing of the cars in front of the church, weddings that take place over a series of days. The women there wear amazing bowler hats cocked to one side and big multi-layered skirts, you will find them working the fantastic open market.

In terms of research, I have a favour-cito.

You will be blown away by all the potato varieties in the market and someone needs to document these varieties, how they are eaten, how they are grown, harvested and preserved throughout the year, etc. There were some that looked like dried little puff balls - the same colouring as puffed wheat cereal, but bigger. They seem to stand out in my mind the most.

More than likely someone has already done this research but I haven't come across a lot of information on these potatoes. Anyway, I'm sure you could put a new spin on it.

If I was going I would certainly be right there with you, with note pad in hand. You don't need an assistant, do you? :wink:

Edited by shelora (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Although its been many years, I highly recommend Copacabana on Lake Titicaca waaaayyy up on the Altiplano.

You will be blown away by all the potato varieties in the market and someone needs to document these varieties, how they are eaten, how they are grown, harvested and preserved throughout the year, etc. There were some that looked like dried little puff balls - the same colouring as puffed wheat cereal, but bigger. They seem to stand out in my mind the most.

If you're ever in Copacabana on Lake Titicaca and a bit tired of the same old Andean fare, head for the restaurant at La Cupula, a b$b on the edge of town right beneath the big hill with the cross on top. They do simple but more-interesting-than-normal things with all the basics -- trucha (trout), quinoa, potatoes, eggs, etc. I remember an especially delicious quinoa salad with peanuts, dried cranberries, chickpeas, diced tomato, cilantro, and a simple soy dressing.

I don't remember the dried puff ball potatoes you mentioned (this was all of four months ago), but are you perhaps thinking of choclo, the strangely tasteless, giant-kernel variety of corn?