• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Chinatown Dim Sum

Ruby

My point is that instead of talking about what we talk about, we should just talk.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Quote: from Fat Guy on 7:41 pm on Feb. 6, 2002

My point is that instead of talking about what we talk about, we should just talk.

I talk. I just was observing that I notice that most of the contributors to this board spend most of their time talking about expensive places, and I find that somewhat alienating, as I seldom have the money to afford them. I've listed favorite inexpensive restaurants, and I've posted about places I've eaten at since I joined eGullet. I'm not sure what more you would want me to start threads about. In a way, my remark about the usual expensive places is less a criticism than a straightforward observation of what type of clientele (if that's the right word) eGullet seems to be attracting.

Michael aka "Pan"

It makes me unhappy to hear that you feel alienated, and I'd like to remedy that. If there's anything I personally can do, I will, and I'd appreciate your guidance in that regard.

With respect to your statement, "most of the contributors to this board spend most of their time talking about expensive places," I'd say I'm not so sure about that. Are you talking about the New York board, or eGullet in general? I think if I had to characterize what most of the discussion on eGullet in general is about -- and I do this after just having reviewed several hundred thread titles and several dozen complete threads across the boards -- I would say it is about food in general and not any specific restaurant. On the New York boards there is more discussion of specific restaurants of course, but I don't see a preponderance, and on most of the haute cuisine threads I see universal issues being discussed with specific restaurants acting mostly as hooks (though there is also a lot of information about those restaurants). But as I generalize, I'm wondering why there is a need to. There are many great threads here, and I prefer to view them each as independent pieces of valuable discourse, and to ignore as best I can the very few I consider non-valuable.

I personally find discussion of haute cuisine most interesting from an analytical perspective, which is why my personal Web site focuses on these areas primarily (though not at all exclusively). But that doesn't mean I don't love all types of cuisine and find them fascinating. I think the same could be said of most users here, and I don't see my preference reflected overwhelmingly anywhere. Certainly Holly Moore wouldn't agree with it, to name another moderator, nor would Jason, nor would you, Ruby, or a number of our best and most prolific users. If there is a reason I personally don't talk more about Guatemalan or Syrian cuisine, it is primarily my ignorance and I rely on the community to help correct that.

As for not having the money to afford these expensive restaurants, I don't know your financial situation but I assure you that for the overwhelming majority of eGullet users -- including those who spend their time talking about expensive restaurants -- fine dining at haute cuisine establishments is a very occasional thing. Wanting to talk about the subject is certainly not a reflection of wealth. I should add that even for most rich people it is occasional, and furthermore that if a rich person whose time is valued in the hundreds or thousands of dollars per hour chooses to write about fancy restaurants and post here I am highly appreciative, just as I am of anybody rich or poor who posts here about most anything. Finally, there are plenty of people who are relatively strapped for cash (by that I don't mean poor to the point of worry, but simply not in a position to acquire an abundance of luxury) who nonetheless choose to direct their limited disposable income almost exclusively to fine dining. They accomplish this by visiting restaurants at lunchtime, avoiding expensive beverage orders, and most of all through knowledge and research. So I consider discussion of such restaurants to be particularly valuable to the individual who must be careful with his money, because he in particular doesn't want to waste it. And I include myself emphatically in that category.

That being said, I will once again reiterate that the boards are the collective result of what the members want to talk about. And I respectfully request that we all try not to be critical of what the members choose to talk about -- especially not in general terms (as opposed to a discussion of the worthiness of a given post's subject matter) -- because this is not a zero-sum game. It is additive. And those who want to add should -- and mostly do -- keep on adding. And that is a good thing.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Quote: from Fat Guy on 6:29 am on Feb. 7, 2002

With respect to your statement, "most of the contributors to this board spend most of their time talking about expensive places," I'd say I'm not so sure about that. Are you talking about the New York board, or eGullet in general?

I was talking about the New York board specifically, but I agreed with all your remarks in the post I quote an excerpt from above, without exception. Thanks, Steven.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 5 months later...

Well, there's (in no particular order):

Triple 8

Nice

HSF

Hop Shing

Jing Fong

Hop Kee

Dim Sum Go-go

and lots of others, but the one I haven't tried that I'd really like to is 27 Sunrise Seafood Restaurant, on Division Street. I had dinner there because someone said the dim sum were great, and the dinner was great, but I still haven't had dim sum there. But I'll bet they're great, too.

My vote goes to Dim Sum GoGo for the finesse and originality of the dumplings. I also like their turnip cake. I also like Oriental Pearl above Canal for the variety, but have learned to reject any and all fried foods. They're never hot or crisp. This is a huge dim sum parlor that's noisy and crowded on weekends, but the carts provide the ambience requied by some diners. I've not tried most of the others mentioned.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

No personal recs, but The New Yorker has a Best of 2003 this week. Something should be in there.

Go to food media and news,under "Best of NY" GELATO. I'm sure you can find it from there?

Edited by elyse (log)

Why carts? Neither Dim Sum GoGo nor Sweet 'n' Tart have carts. Both do things to order and are recommendable. I haven't been to Oriental Pearl just north of Canal on Mott in quite a while, but they have carts.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.