• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caribbean "Rum"quest

Free Martha

I am heading to the Caribbean in Janurary for three weeks. Two weeks in Barbados, then taking a cruise from there to San Juan, Aruba, Dominica and St Thomas, back to

Barbados. Their are Eight of us, and most don't usually bring back anything, so customs isn't a problem.

I am looking for the best Rums ? Can anyone help me.

I'm sure the Ministry regulars will chime in with a few labels to look out for, but I still dream about the half bottle a neighbor gave me after his trip down there. It was (99% sure anyway) TRES MARIAS from Martinique. Legendary from start to finish. Kept the bottle for years hoping to find it again but eventually threw it out.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I believe that would be Trois Rivieres, from Martinique.

Barbados, then taking a cruise from there to San Juan, Aruba, Dominica and St Thomas, back to

Barbados.

Barbados is a great rum island, since you're going to be there a while, check out the rums and prices and wait til you get back to stock up. Look for Cockspur 1639, great spiced rum. And don't miss the Foursquare Distillery Tour, the best distillery tour on the island.

San Juan, find Barillito 2 or 3 star rum, you'll be glad you did.

Dominica has a few interesting rums that you won't find anywhere else. The Shillingford distillery, locally called the sugar factory, is a great place to see, one of only two distilleries that still use a water wheel to crush the cane. In St Thomas you'll find a great selection of rums, check out KMart and the Pueblo just up the street from the cruise ship dock. Ask any crew member how to get to Kmart and you'll pass the Pueblo grocery store. The Brugal extra viejo you'll find in St Thomas is much better than what you'll buy in the states, and the last time I was there it was on sale.

Downtown, AH Riise has a few rums that you won't find anywhere else. Taste the chocolate rums and their 3 to 6 year blend, or their 6 to 12 year old in a frosted bottle is something to cherish.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

While in San Juan be sure to check out the Tourist Information building by Pier 1. There is a bar inside and you can try any Puerto Rican rums, except Don Q Grand Anejo, for free thanks to the “Rums of Puerto Rico” campaign (http://www.puertoricorums.com). Don’t worry, if you want to sample the Don Q Grand Anejo it is literally only steps away. Casa Don Q is right across the street and offers a self guided tour and you can try the Grand Anejo at the bar.

If you have time and are interested, you can score another two drinks and a great tour for free at the Bacardi Distillery. Just hop on the AquaExpresso ($3.00 round trip) they will ferry you across the bay to Catano where you can board a passenger van ($1 per person) which will drive you the short distance to the Distillery.

San Juan, find Barillito 2 or 3 star rum, you'll be glad you did.

Ed is right about the Barillito. There is a rum called Riserva Anejo that I recommend as well.

Edited by David Steeby (log)

Downtown,(AH Riise has a few rums that you won't find anywhere else. Taste the chocolate rums and their 3 to 6 year blend, or their (6 to 12 year old in a frosted bottle)

Chocolate Rum ? Thats a must.

Thank you all, with my wish list.

• 5 months later...

While you're in St Kitts look for El Dorado Special Reserve and their Rum Cream, which I highly recommend. You'll also find Antigua Distillers Extra Old rum. There are a few other rums like Belmont Estate rums which can be a bargain for rum punch rum but I haven't seen anything from Belmont that I would sip neat or with water.

You'll also find Appleton rums, but don't overlook the corners of the grocery store shelves where you may find some real treasures.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Thanks, I forgot VSOR and there is another drinking rum that deserves tasting, 1639 from Cockspur. Originally it was bottled to comemorate the 350th anniversary of the first parliament in the New World, but 1639 was so popular that it is still on the shelves, but only sold in Barbados.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com